• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Curious Individual

Hi, my experience of Buddhism thus far is that I've attended some meditation sessions, learnt some yoga, attended a talk by S.M. Goenka, listened to talks by Jack Kornfield, and read about the Four Noble Truths. So, I have a reasonable basic understanding of what it's all about. I think that the reason why I am attracted to the understanding is because of the objective approach involved - the idea that one actually focuses on problem areas and seeks to penetrate their causes, and subsequently is able to deal with problems.

However, I feel that I should begin to probe deeper. I've been advised to attend a 10 day retreat and do the "full immersion" meditation. At this moment, I'm not prepared to make such a step (mainly due to other commitments) and I've also heard that it can be quite a hardcore experience.

I suppose I should just keep reading - make more time to meditate and then maybe during next year, go on a 10 day course.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Danny -

I guess that would of course depend on which tradition you wish to follow. My tradition doesn't start folks out in that way. I am not criticizing it, mind, just noting the difference.

My school is from the Mahayana tradition, and originally from Japan. It is very different than some of the Vajrayana (Tibetan) or Theravadan based traditions. Our practice is primarily mantra chanting and sutra recitation, along with some silent sitting and writing meditation. Each person learns at their own pace; we generally have one-day retreats, and occasionally a really intensive one for a long weekend. My wife, who is a candidate for minister, will have a 35-day monastery course as her final training before ordination, but that is something only clergy candidates do in our tradition.

Of course, keep reading and learning. Keep doing the practice you have learned, but you might investigate some of the other possibilities in order to find out which one speaks to you the most strongly. Just a suggestion, of course; and I wish you good fortune, no matter what you choose.