• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Curfews

Lightkeeper

I have a lot of questions about curfews for underage people. Should we have them? Why do we have them? If your city has curfew laws and your teenager sneaks out of the house after curfew what happens to the parents if the teenager is caught? Can the parent be fined or go to jail for that?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Curfews can be a valuable tactic for a city to impose against street gangs since many gang members are younger than 18.

For instance: Had the city they live in a curfew, rabble such as Mr. Spinkles and Ms Ceridwen would not have had such an easy time ganging up in the wee hours of the morning in order to go about their nefarious ways. Just a thought.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
lol. i can see that sunstone. but why take away freedoms of the people under 18 who are good, just want to have fun during thier good years?

Lightkeeper

Gerani1248 said:
lol. i can see that sunstone. but why take away freedoms of the people under 18 who are good, just want to have fun during thier good years?
Trust me your good years are yet to come. Curfews can be for your protection.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Gerani1248 said:
Ahem! What do you mean "good years"??? I consider the years I'm in right now pretty good. Are you insinuating anything about my being "over the hill"? Huh? Are you?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Sunstone said:
For instance: Had the city they live in a curfew, rabble such as Mr. Spinkles and Ms Ceridwen would not have had such an easy time ganging up in the wee hours of the morning in order to go about their nefarious ways. Just a thought.

*laughs* Oooo, I can just see it now! And in the background, you'd hear 'rabblerabblerabble', as in "South Park."

I was never given a curfew, but, then again, I never got into much trouble as a child. (Now as an adult, on the other hand... wait- I still don't get into trouble! How boring am I?! :( )

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
FeathersinHair said:
*laughs* Oooo, I can just see it now! And in the background, you'd hear 'rabblerabblerabble', as in "South Park."
South Park is an area in Colorado. The creators of the show come from a town in that region. Did you know that?

FeathersinHair said:
I was never given a curfew, but, then again, I never got into much trouble as a child. (Now as an adult, on the other hand... wait- I still don't get into trouble! How boring am I?! :( )
I was such a good child that my mother would lock me out at nights hoping I'd get into trouble.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
good years? well, you know, you only get to be a teen once. well, thats if you dont believe in reincarnation, but how i look at it, i dont get to be a teen now, with my friends, with my family, at NH.

oh well..

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
lol. "Being good" was appropriate to me because it was being true to myself. That's just the kind of kid I was. But had I been a different kid, and had "being good" meant being untrue to myself, then it would have been spiritually wrong of me to "be good". At least, not that good!

Lightkeeper

Sunstone said:
lol. "Being good" was appropriate to me because it was being true to myself. That's just the kind of kid I was. But had I been a different kid, and had "being good" meant being untrue to myself, then it would have been spiritually wrong of me to "be good". At least, not that good!
Then that means being "bad" is a good thing?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Lightkeeper said:
Then that means being "bad" is a good thing?
A lot of the world's Great Literature examines that question, doesn't it? Off hand, I can think of Twain's Huckleberry Finn. Huckleberry winds up being bad by the conventions of his day, but is nevertheless a good person because he has been true to himself (which he would not have been had he soulessly followed the conventions of his day).

The problem with a generalization like "being 'bad' is a good thing" is that it's too general. I find I can both agree and disagree with it, depending on what specific set of circumstances I'm thinking of at the moment.

Ceridwen018

Well, whenever I sneak out, I always drive to someone's house, so I'm not really subject to the curfew laws. Those are to keep kids off of the streets, as was suggested earlier. The only way I'd have a run in with the fuzz is if I were breaking traffic laws.

The problem with a generalization like "being 'bad' is a good thing" is that it's too general. I find I can both agree and disagree with it, depending on what specific set of circumstances I'm thinking of at the moment.
I'd say that no one ever got anything done by obeying all the rules. Even Mother Theresa could be sassy.

Doc

Space Chief
All the best years I think are the years before we turn into zombies and get full time jobs. LOL! I am 14 but I am tired at the end of the day and I don' t mind sleeping. I believe that teenage years are the best years.

Lightkeeper

Doc said:
All the best years I think are the years before we turn into zombies and get full time jobs. LOL! I am 14 but I am tired at the end of the day and I don' t mind sleeping. I believe that teenage years are the best years.
How would you know if you haven't been an adult yet?:) I'm glad you're sleeping instead of sneaking out and breaking curfews.

Hey Ceridwen what time is your curfew, anyway?

I think kids will be kids. I'm 18 years old, and I've stayed away from drugs, gangs, and I've gotten good grades. So I don't feel a strong sense of guilt over the fact that my friends and I went out past curfew to the donut shop a few times this summer.

Doc

Space Chief
Judging by what I have heard from most adults and students out of highschool, it may be true for the majority. Until only about a year before I entered highschool, I had many ankle and knee injuries with different bones, muscles, and ligament issues. So now that I am physically cured of these ailments, it has become more enjoyable not limping around anymore. And being a highschooler is so much more fun than in 8th grade.