• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cultured meat on the horizon. Where meat and veggies unite.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I've been watching the growing cultured meat movement and the science advancing toward the goal of growing meat and it seems substantial progress has been made toward a Slaughter-less yet fulfilling product to satisfy the meat eating palette without having animals undergo the slaughtering process with so many benefits that can come of it.

I've always been proponent of eating meat, not because of the slaughter involved , but rather for the health benefits that only come from eating meat along with the taste.

This seems like a very good solution to me where finally you don't need to kill a cow or pig to eat steak or pork among other meat products.

Israeli test-tube steak smells real, feels real… and may even be kosher

I'm more than willing to try out home grown meat with the knowledge that no animal was killed but rather had only cells extracted that were later growing into cuts of meat for human and even some animal consumption.

It seems we're not far off from that becoming a reality in the supermarket and I'm looking forward to this to see for myself if it's an answer that would settle the meat versus vegetarianism debate amicably.

It would certainly open up a lot of Farmland to grow more crops for humans instead of animals for Slaughter.

It certainly seems to be a win-win situation. Crossing fingers and Bon Appetit!

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I've been watching the growing cultured meat movement and the science advancing toward the goal of growing meat and it seems substantial progress has been made toward a Slaughter-less yet fulfilling product to satisfy the meat eating palette without having animals undergo the slaughtering process with so many benefits that can come of it.

I've always been proponent of eating meat, not because of the slaughter involved , but rather for the health benefits that only come from eating meat along with the taste.

This seems like a very good solution to me where finally you don't need to kill a cow or pig to eat steak or pork among other meat products.

I'm more than willing to try out home grown meat with the knowledge that no animal was killed but rather had only cells extracted that were later growing into cuts of meat for human and even some animal consumption.

It seems we're not far off from that becoming a reality in the supermarket and I'm looking forward to this to see for myself if it's an answer that would settle the meat versus vegetarianism debate amicably.

It would certainly open up a lot of Farmland to grow more crops for humans instead of animals for Slaughter.

I wouldn't call it "home grown." It's grown currently in a lab setting, and eventually, as an industrial product...

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Aww, I thought it'd be a bunch of cows watching Shakespeare whilst conversing snootily amongst themselves.
:(

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member

Ms. Q is a vegan and I am hopeful this works out. I think she enjoys certain meats but has a conflict with it. I don't as much, but I get where she comes from.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Cured meat on the horizon....
11216858456_ed2b85fe0f.jpg

Twilight Hue

Ms. Q is a vegan and I am hopeful this works out. I think she enjoys certain meats but has a conflict with it. I don't as much, but I get where she comes from.
My big thing like a lot of people, is taste and how filling it is.

Givin the cells actually comes from animals and creates actual muscle tissue as opposed to substitute products that only emulate meat is a huge step. Imitation meat is just horrible.

The only trick I think would be how to spice what could only be considered as a rather bland cut of actual meat. I think a lot of what flavor meat has , comes generally from what the animal eats itself. With the proper spices though, I don't think it will be a real huge issue in light of the many ways you can flavor foods.

If I see cultured meat products on the shelves I'll definitely be willing to give it a proper go since it comes from the same cells anyways that we consume from the animal itself.

LilyPhoenix

i still will not eat it how do you know that they havent put chemicals in the grown meat i dont trust this i will never eat it

Twilight Hue

i still will not eat it how do you know that they havent put chemicals in the grown meat i dont trust this i will never eat it
Well from a molecular standpoint there really is not much difference in molecules of meat and molecules of what is growing in the culture producing the meat. It's actually taken from the animal itself and given what it needs to form and grow.

Personally I think the hormones given to animals to make fatter meatier cuts would be much worse then what you find in culture grown meat.

Michelle71

I've never, not once in my life, ever gone hunting BUT I'd sooner kill a deer with my teeth than eat that!

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
My big thing like a lot of people, is taste and how filling it is.

Givin the cells actually comes from animals and creates actual muscle tissue as opposed to substitute products that only emulate meat is a huge step. Imitation meat is just horrible.

The only trick I think would be how to spice what could only be considered as a rather bland cut of actual meat. I think a lot of what flavor meat has , comes generally from what the animal eats itself. With the proper spices though, I don't think it will be a real huge issue in light of the many ways you can flavor foods.

If I see cultured meat products on the shelves I'll definitely be willing to give it a proper go since it comes from the same cells anyways that we consume from the animal itself.
I'm not so sure about that, but the fat content is what gives beef and pork the flavor. 100% lean meat would very quickly turn into rock-hard, bland charcoal on the grill--this is why any restaurant worth their salt makes burgers with ground chuck and not with ground sirloin. You also need the other juices and fluids that come with meat as well to give them their flavor and nutritional value. If you can recreate all of that in a petri dish, then you can grow good-tasting meat without raising an animal.