• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cultured Meat and Noachian Law

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Does eating cultured (lab grown) meat constitute breaking the Noachian Law against eating flesh torn from a living animal? The flesh would have to be alive in order for it to be cultured.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I look at it like this. A Noachide is not expected to deeply probe the Torah for instructions on how to live. Therefore the practical application of the Noahide law against eating flesh from a living animal should be based on a simple direct rendering of the verse it's based on, Genesis 9:4. Therfore I would expect cultured meat to be OK for a Noahide.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I look at it like this. A Noachide is not expected to deeply probe the Torah for instructions on how to live. Therefore the practical application of the Noahide law against eating flesh from a living animal should be based on a simple direct rendering of the verse it's based on, Genesis 9:4. Therfore I would expect cultured meat to be OK for a Noahide.
The life (blood) must be returned to the earth--poured out on the ground, which means it can't be exploited for food, no?
There is something I find deeply disturbing on an unconscious level about eating cultured meat, which is why I ask.

(I have no problem with non-food uses of cultured cells, such as for tissue replacement, however.)

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The life (blood) must be returned to the earth--poured out on the ground, which means it can't be exploited for food, no?
I think the rules regarding returning the blood to the earth comes later, so they wouldn't apply to Noahides.
There is something I find deeply disturbing on an unconscious level about eating cultured meat, which is why I ask.
It's a good question; I hope I've helped some with it.