• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Culture vs Religion

David T

Premium Member
They are and they aren't depending on the specific religious group and the culture in which it operates.

The biggest example of this is Islam. Islam as it's practiced in the US is very different for most from how it's practiced in the Middle East, for example. One big example is dress code. In some countries, the dress code for women is a matter of law and violators are punished. In the US, it's a matter, as the religion specifies, of the individuals to choose - modesty being the governing principle.

Philip Kapleau, a Zen teacher, modified traditional Buddhist practice where monks begged as not being appropriate in the West. When I visited his center decades ago, they picked up trash to serve the same root purpose as begging serves in the East.

There are no doubt a lot of examples where the religious groups strive to keep the cultural aspects as well as the religiously mandated ones..
Why do Hindus, Jains and Sikhs have a similar culture despite being different religions?

Why is the culture of Islam so different to Christianity and Judaism despite them all being Abrahamic? Even within Islam the Arab, Persian and South Asians are so different culturally- I hardly see Arab Muslims with long beards and I hardly see Persian Muslims with chin curtains. Wedding example:

In Christianity the Coptics and Orthodox are quite different to Catholics and Protestants. I don't see much difference between Catholics and Protestants culturally- especially in America.

Jews have a very similar culture to Christians.

Things Not To Say To Jewish People

Buddhism in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia is different to Buddhism in Nepal and Burma which in turn is different to Japanese Buddhism. What gives?
Why is belief non belief agnosticism so different yet singular?
My experiemce that yeah cultures are different but underneath more similar than different. I can read say Rumi or thomas merton or the Tao, or read Buddha and i can go oh wow they are so different Are they? In fact i have demonstrated they are not different at all directly.

I will leave it there so to speak. We see what we see.
leaf-tailed-gecko.jpg

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Why do Hindus, Jains and Sikhs have a similar culture despite being different religions?

why would that be a problem? All the religions you mentioned are grounded in a similar culture.

Judaism, Christianity, and Islam evolved in the Middle East and evolved different cultures and all are culturally grounded.

Why is the culture of Islam so different to Christianity and Judaism despite them all being Abrahamic? Even within Islam the Arab, Persian and South Asians are so different culturally- I hardly see Arab Muslims with long beards and I hardly see Persian Muslims with chin curtains. Wedding example:

It is not an issue that different religions have different cultures and yet related. Nonetheless all three religions are culturally ground. Language and cultural differences between the Hebrews, Christians and Muslims contributed to the differences in culture.

In Christianity the Coptics and Orthodox are quite different to Catholics and Protestants. I don't see much difference between Catholics and Protestants culturally- especially in America.

So what? The Coptics and Orthodox may have evolved in a different culture, but they remain associated with their culture. Similarities and differences do not change anything. They are still grounded in their individual culture.

Jews have a very similar culture to Christians.

Similar, but different, the Jews remained grounded in the Hebrew language and culture and the Christians evolved to a Greco-Roman-European culture.

Buddhism in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia is different to Buddhism in Nepal and Burma which in turn is different to Japanese Buddhism. What gives?

What gives? All the above religions may have evolved different cultures over time or have the same culture. That does not change the fact that all of the religions you listed are ground in their language and culture.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
This is something that's always been in the back of my mind:

Christianity, Judaism and Islam all believe in Abraham, Noah, Moses,etc. but the culture is so vastly different between Muslims and Christians. Jews seem to be in the Middle as most Jews I've heard of are secular and some atheist- I don't know how many of Israel's Jews are religious but the Naturei Karta and the Haredi are both very different to your run of the mill Israeli. Same religion up to a point but differ vastly in culture

On the other hand you have different religions in Asia: Hinduism, Jainism, Sikhism and Buddhism but the culture is similar despite religions being different. For example, Jains frequent Hindu Mandirs and vice versa, Nepalese people say they're both Hindu and Buddhist, Laos; Burma; Thailand and Cambodia is a mixture of Hindu and Buddhism, Vietnam is very Chinese in its culture, Sikhs want their own country despite first born Hindu Punjabis joining the Khalsa and becoming Sikh; intermarriage between Sikhs and Hindus,etc. Don't know much about Japan and Korea though. Back to the topic- different religions same culture.

There seems to be no correlation between religion and culture
Og course there are correlations. "Religion" derives from the common cosmological conditions (The Creation) which determines the human life - but of course different cultures can have their specific rituals.

And when studying Comparative Mythology and Religion, lots of common ideas and "divine deities" have the same meanings and attributes in different cultures.

wellwisher

What gives? All the above religions may have evolved different cultures over time or have the same culture. That does not change the fact that all of the religions you listed are ground in their language and culture.

Not all people have the charisma of faith. Therefore, to integrate a culture of different people, to a religion, knowing many of the citizens are not innately faithful, you need to include some collective social standards, that are less faith bound, so more people have a way of relating.

This was the strength of Christianity. They allowed local customs to flavor the rituals of the core religion, thereby expanding the number of members to include those without the natural charism of faith. In some Christian Gospel sects, they include song and dance to make it fun. Within the fun and excitement, the message is presented and learned.

Religion that are too by the book, will not appeal to less faithful people, and tend to stay more compact. For example, the Orthodox Jew is somewhat limited in number, compared to the Jews who are more secular in worship style. Both learn the core teachings.

A parallel example is math and science education in the US used to be dominated by male students. There was a certain way this was taught. Over the past decades, the methods of teaching math and science have changed, to better accommodate females, This cultural change has deluded down test scores in the US, but it also has resulted in larger recruitment of women to the math and sciences. It is a practical decision that strikes a balance; virtual faith scaffolding.

Last edited:

Maponos

Welcome to the Opera
There is a direct relation with religion and culture, as they are one and the same (in the original sense). Hellenistic religion, Celtic religion, Shinto, Norse religion, Mesopotamian religions all produced their respective cultures. 'Revealed religions' came far after and displaced most of those religions.

ronki23

why would that be a problem? All the religions you mentioned are grounded in a similar culture.

Judaism, Christianity, and Islam evolved in the Middle East and evolved different cultures and all are culturally grounded.

It is not an issue that different religions have different cultures and yet related. Nonetheless all three religions are culturally ground. Language and cultural differences between the Hebrews, Christians and Muslims contributed to the differences in culture.

So what? The Coptics and Orthodox may have evolved in a different culture, but they remain associated with their culture. Similarities and differences do not change anything. They are still grounded in their individual culture.

Similar, but different, the Jews remained grounded in the Hebrew language and culture and the Christians evolved to a Greco-Roman-European culture.

You sure said 'culture' a lot

ronki23

That is the topic of the thread, and yes the ancient religions are grounded in the cultures of their origins.

But Judaism has a Western culture- I hardly see any difference between American Jews and Israelis. Yet Islam came from the same area and they share the same prophets but Muslim and Jewish culture is different.

The majority of Asia is Buddhist but the culture differs so much by country. I've only been to China and India but I was told South Korean and Japanese Buddhism is vastly different.

As much as they hate to admit it, the culture of Hindus, Sikhs and Jains is same despite religions being different.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
But Judaism has a Western culture- I hardly see any difference between American Jews and Israelis.

That is because the culture of Jews the world over is Jewish culture regardless. The language is Hebrew for the religion thngs like wearing the yamaka are universal for men, and the traditon of guidance through midrash is universal with Judaism. Judaism is not an American culture, but adapts well to America.

Yet Islam came from the same area and they share the same prophets but Muslim and Jewish culture is different.

No, not the same area nor language nor culture. Islam is grounded in a distinct language and Arabic culture.

The majority of Asia is Buddhist but the culture differs so much by country. I've only been to China and India but I was told South Korean and Japanese Buddhism is vastly different.

Yes, the differ from country to country, and evolved in the culture of that country. It remains that much of the foundation culture of India remains dominant in China and Korea and other countries. The Plae language, symbols, Divine imagery and dress remains at the foundation from Indian culture. This does not negate the fact that Buddhism is grounded in the culture of the country that it evolved in. Japanese Buddhism (Zen) is distinctly ground in the language and culture of Japan, and often blended with Shinto.

As much as they hate to admit it, the culture of Hindus, Sikhs and Jains is same despite religions being different.

Does not change the fact that they are grounded in the culture they evolved in. Being different does not negate the fact of their foundation in culture where they originate. Different religions can evolve within the same culture, and be grounded in that culture.

ronki23

That is because the culture of Jews the world over is Jewish culture regardless. The language is Hebrew for the religion thngs like wearing the yamaka are universal for men, and the traditon of guidance through midrash is universal with Judaism. Judaism is not an American culture, but adapts well to America.

No, not the same area nor language nor culture. Islam is grounded in a distinct language and Arabic culture.

Yes, the differ from country to country, and evolved in the culture of that country. It remains that much of the foundation culture of India remains dominant in China and Korea and other countries. The Plae language, symbols, Divine imagery and dress remains at the foundation from Indian culture. This does not negate the fact that Buddhism is grounded in the culture of the country that it evolved in. Japanese Buddhism (Zen) is distinctly ground in the language and culture of Japan, and often blended with Shinto.

Does not change the fact that they are grounded in the culture they evolved in. Being different does not negate the fact of their foundation in culture where they originate. Different religions can evolve within the same culture, and be grounded in that culture.

Israel is surrounded by Arab countries though. Arabs and Jews are both Semites so how can you say culture is different? Today's Israel is different because Ashkenazis are in charge and America supports them but historically there was no distinction between Ashkenazi and Mizrahi- Jesus was one of these 'proto' Jews.

I say Jewish and Christian culture because the average Israeli is barely any different to an American Jew. In today's world I see no difference in Catholic/Protestant culture either- I've been to France 5x

You say South Korea is similar to China? I was told it's different to Japan but China?

Indian culture: Nepal, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Cambodia, Pakistan and Bangladesh (except religion is different)

Chinese culture: Hong Kong, Singapore, Vietnam

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Israel is surrounded by Arab countries though. Arabs and Jews are both Semites so how can you say culture is different? Today's Israel is different because Ashkenazis are in charge and America supports them but historically there was no distinction between Ashkenazi and Mizrahi- Jesus was one of these 'proto' Jews.

Your neglecting the fact that cultures evolve, and actually religions within cultures evolve and diversify, and nonetheless the culture remains at the foundation of the religion. Technically all humanity's cultures evolved from a fairly common culture out of Africa, and diversified into different cultures over time.

Arabs and Jews both being semites does not detract from the fact that they evolved into different cultures with different languages.

I say Jewish and Christian culture because the average Israeli is barely any different to an American Jew.

First, the above is a little confusing.

The American Jew and the Israeli Jew share the same Jewish culture as previously noted. By far most Jews of the world all most universally identify with an ethnic heritage and claim to be blood related. The only exception is some converts from outside Judaism, whom now identify with the culture and study Hebrew. As far as the Christians, no. Even though compatable cultures the Christian and Jewish cultures are distinctly different. Jews almost universally identify themselves with a Hebrew culture separate from other cultures.

In today's world I see no difference in Catholic/Protestant culture either- I've been to France 5x

I have been to France and Europe too, so what? I made no assertion that the Roman Church and Protestants are different cultures. They both are part integral parts of the Christian cultures sharing the same scriptural linguistic cultural origins, and observe the same cultural holidays. .

You say South Korea is similar to China? I was told it's different to Japan but China?

They all have cultural similarities, evolved, and of course some differences, but kept their roots, For example the Japanese and Koreans both use to a certain extent Chinese and also ancient Pale texts in their religious writings.of Buddhism and Taoism.

The evolution of cultures and differences does not negate that historically and as matter of fact the evolving cultures remain at the foundation of the evolving religions.

Indian culture: Nepal, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Cambodia, Pakistan and Bangladesh (except religion is different)

. . . and so what? National boundaries are not barriers to the cultures and religions. The religions of Sri Lanka, Thailand, Cambodia, Pakistan, and Bangladesh all had cultural identies of the reigions in those countries.

Chinese culture: Hong Kong, Singapore, Vietnam

Te Buddhism in these countries have a distinct culture an identity with Indian and Chinese Buddhism

Last edited:

ronki23

I saw a documentary on Hinduism in Bali and their culture is different from Indian Hinduism.

It's no secret I want to visit a Japan and South Korea because of their culture and the fact I'm into Buddhism although I find Buddhism a bit boring

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Israel is surrounded by Arab countries though. Arabs and Jews are both Semites so how can you say culture is different?

Israel as a modern nation was created in 1947. It's been populated by returning Jews, those who were in the diaspora for centuries and adapted to western cultures and influences. They returned to the new Israel, merging native culture with western culture they brought back with them. This is my understanding of it.

amorphous_constellation

Christianity, Judaism and Islam all believe in Abraham, Noah, Moses,etc. but the culture is so vastly different between Muslims and Christians.

It has to with the way that the Abrahamic constellation of religions views the concept of 'truth,' I think. Revelation seems like it is more dogmatic, one conception of the truth never really becomes a friendly avatar of another. On the other hand, something like Hinduism and the others seem like they can recognize aspects of wisdom outside of themselves. Hence, it's possible that the traditions can bond together more. I think that seems like a more spiritually mature way to be.

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money

Christianity, Judaism and Islam all believe in Abraham, Noah, Moses,etc. but the culture is so vastly different between Muslims and Christians. Jews seem to be in the Middle as most Jews I've heard of are secular and some atheist- I don't know how many of Israel's Jews are religious but the Naturei Karta and the Haredi are both very different to your run of the mill Israeli. Same religion up to a point but differ vastly in culture

On the other hand you have different religions in Asia: Hinduism, Jainism, Sikhism and Buddhism but the culture is similar despite religions being different. For example, Jains frequent Hindu Mandirs and vice versa, Nepalese people say they're both Hindu and Buddhist, Laos; Burma; Thailand and Cambodia is a mixture of Hindu and Buddhism, Vietnam is very Chinese in its culture, Sikhs want their own country despite first born Hindu Punjabis joining the Khalsa and becoming Sikh; intermarriage between Sikhs and Hindus,etc. Don't know much about Japan and Korea though. Back to the topic- different religions same culture.

The majority agrees that the error is wrong
The minority agrees that true is true

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The majority agrees that the error is wrong
The minority agrees that true is true

Many believe very firmly in diverse, conflicting and contradictory claims of 'truths' and what is wrong with what other people believe.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist

I just wrote a thread about a fictitious Neanderthal tribe on an island. I pretty much came to the opposite conclusion. There's every connection between religion and culture, they just sometimes rebel against the official one. India with its large number of Hindus, slaughter meat animals in a certain way, and probably have laws against killing cattle (that is culture, not religion). And there is often a caste system in such countries. Likewise, the culture of the Jews in Israel is very cenrered around their religious festivals, and during certain times of year, everyone starts building booths. They are also a country of alot of walls, because the kosher mentality of separating stuff like different foods extends to people of different faiths. In largely atheist countries, they do things much differently than largely Christian countries (more concerned with tolerance of everyone (but Christians) than they are with having a Christian religious identity). Think Poland vs Sweden. In Muslim countries, Sharia law basically defines the way things are in that land. In Shinto countries, they are like Japan, because pretty much they are Japan. Religion defines culture in subtle ways. To say there is no correlation is wrong.

The inverse is also true. Someone mentioned the varieties of Buddhism. What gives is that culture affects religion in addition to religion affecting culture. That is, not only is a land and people affected by a new religion but they adapt it to their area (I think Tibet is a good example).

Last edited:

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money
I just wrote a thread about a fictitious Neanderthal tribe on an island. I pretty much came to the opposite conclusion. There's every connection between religion and culture, they just sometimes rebel against the official one. India with its large number of Hindus, slaughter meat animals in a certain way, and probably have laws against killing cattle (that is culture, not religion). And there is often a caste system in such countries. Likewise, the culture of the Jews in Israel is very cenrered around their religious festivals, and during certain times of year, everyone starts building booths. They are also a country of alot of walls, because the kosher mentality of separating stuff like different foods extends to people of different faiths. In largely atheist countries, they do things much differently than largely Christian countries (more concerned with tolerance of everyone (but Christians) than they are with having a Christian religious identity). Think Poland vs Sweden. In Muslim countries, Sharia law basically defines the way things are in that land. In Shinto countries, they are like Japan, because pretty much they are Japan. Religion defines culture in subtle ways. To say there is no correlation is wrong.

The inverse is also true. Someone mentioned the varieties of Buddhism. What gives is that culture affects religion in addition to religion affecting culture. That is, not only is a land and people affected by a new religion but they adapt it to their area (I think Tibet is a good example).

Did you read about zensunni
Japanese-Arab Cultural Combination

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
It around 70% of Jewish are atheists
You base this on what? Source.

My source says that 2% of Jews are atheist. Don't confuse non-religious Jews with atheists.

"Of the religions surveyed in the poll, Jews were found to be the least religious: Only 38 percent of the Jewish population worldwide considers itself religious, while 54 sees itself as non-religious and 2 percent categorizes itself as atheist. "
New poll shows atheism on rise, with Jews found to be least religious