• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

cults

syo

when a religion becomes a cult? what seperates religion from cults?

in my opinion, a cult is an organization that teaches harmful teachings.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Who/what determines if the teachings are harmful? Most religions have harmful aspects, at least from some point of view (is monasticism harmful? how about celibacy?)

syo

Who/what determines if the teachings are harmful? Most religions have harmful aspects, at least from some point of view (is monasticism harmful? how about celibacy?)
there are a few aspects that are definitely harmful, like murder. as far as monasticism and celibacy, they are not forced on people. if some people chose it, why is it harmful?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Success separates religion from cult.
Just as success separates rebellion from a revolution.

Reactions: syo

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

It seems to me that cult is one of those words that hasn't really got a definition so much as it has connotations and perjorative implications.
As a non-theist living in the western world, most of the religions that matter to me do teach some dangerous things. One of the most harmful things commonly taught is "Trust the human authorities, like priests and prophets and scriptures, instead of reason and evidence.

One example would be the folks who oppose marriage equality because their minister says that scriptures say that Moses said that God said that gay male sex is an abomination. Despite evidence and reasoning, they insist on that. It's human authorities overriding reality.
Tom

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Take it a step further. A cult discourages healthy personal training as it focuses on the welfare of the whole. So, it isn't as though it teaches harmful concepts but that it discourages the learning of healthy personal growth concepts so the adherents of a cult must grow the way of the organization, or not at all, according to the cult's dogmas. A person is supposed to be in 100% or not at all.

Last edited:

ajay0

Imo, a cult rides on the force of personality, while a true religion rides on the force of truth, compassion and values.

Nowadays, so called religions too have a certain proportion of cult-like charecterestics in them as well due to charismatic and deluded rabble-rousers and gullible followers.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Nowadays, so called religions too have a certain proportion of cult-like charecterestics in them as well due to charismatic and deluded rabble-rousers and gullible followers.
That's not limited to religions.
There is a certain political party here in the USA who matches that meaning.
Tom

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
cult

1 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious, also : its body of adherents ·the voodoo cult
·a satanic cult

2 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (such as a film or book) ·criticizing how the media promotes the cult of celebrity
; especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
b : the object of such devotion

c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion ·the singer's cult of fans
·The film has a cult following.

3 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents ·the cult of Apollo

4 : formal religious veneration : worship

5 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator ·health cults

spurious

1 : of illegitimate birth : *******

2 : outwardly similar or corresponding to something without having its genuine qualities : false ·the spurious eminence of the pop celebrity

3 a : of falsified or erroneously attributed origin : forged
b : of a deceitful nature or quality ·spurious excuses

pearl

It seems to me that cult is one of those words that hasn't really got a definition so much as it has connotations and perjorative implications.

Good point. If one accepts the broad definition of 'cult';
a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object:, then Christianity is a cult.

David T

Premium Member

Hell thats culture!!! So do you mean a cult inside a cult!? Is that different? Smaller therfore invalid? Lol

David T

Premium Member
I think a cult is an organization that makes itself the center of an adherent's attention.
Does an organization teach self-reliance? Then, it isn't a cult.
Does it teach dependency on the organization? Then, it is a cult.
Culture!!!

David T

Premium Member
Good point. If one accepts the broad definition of 'cult';
a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object:, then Christianity is a cult.
Culture. Total religious veneration£££££££$$€

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
In common usage a cult to me tries to separate people from society and their friends focusing everything on the beliefs and teachings of the cult.

My totally classic definition of a cult is, of course, from the Simpsons

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Strictly anthropologically speaking, a cult is a small-size worship group; for example a fledgling new religion, a sub-group devoted to a particular deity among many, or a fringe group centered on a charismatic leader. The later two don't really "become" religions, and the first of those is already a part of a religion. Technically the second, as well, but they tend to be problematic and dangerous.

For the former - fledgling religions - they're usually recognized as "religions" when they become normalized, have membership spanning a large area (national or global,) or have retained existence for several decades. The exception that I can think to this is Scientology, which many (myself included) believe is more of a business that has bought it's way into "recognized religion" status.

allfoak

Alchemist

Cults are just subsets of the Christian culture.
Without Christianity they wouldn't exist.
What decides if their teachings are not correct is whether it fits in with the current mainstream Christian culture.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Take it a step further. A cult discourages healthy personal training as it focuses on the welfare of the whole. So, it isn't as though it teaches harmful concepts but that it discourages the learning of healthy personal growth concepts so the adherents of a cult must grow the way of the organization, or not at all, according to the cult's dogmas. A person is supposed to be in 100% or not at all.
Not only that, but another defining aspect of cults are when the organization itself goes after, and pursues its members.