• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crusifix removed.

Rex

Founder
This question was emailed to me by a lady named Christy.
-------------------

My Granfather passed away recently and there was crusifix placed in his casket with a ribbon and roses from his Great Great Grandson (my Grandson) Upon closing the casket after viewing the crusifix was removed by another family member. I found this out and was outraged because another family person snatched it away. This person doesn't even recognize the great great grandson or myself and my children for that matter. So my question being who should keep the crusifix for memorial purposes and religious? I say my Grandson (the Great Grandson for whom it was out there from). My famly is of Cathloic values and agree but what really is proper before I try to retrieve it back>

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
I think that fighting over a crucifix does dishonor to the principles for which it stands: love, forgiveness, etc.

oracle

retrorich said:
I think that fighting over a crucifix does dishonor to the principles for which it stands: love, forgiveness, etc.
What's more important? seems to me like they value the crucifix more than each other. Sure it has sentimental value, but you can't take that crucifix with you when you die.:tsk: The crucifix isn't the issue, they are focusing on an object. Who cares about an object. It's about the integrity of their family member that took it. If I were her, I would talk to this person, communicate so that we both understand each other and what the underlying issue is about. I would let the person keep it if they really wanted it that bad. However, I would be concerned about the person's integrity, not the object. She should be worrying about this person's integrity. People are more important than objects. If you value an object more than a person, well in my opinion that is idolization. It seems to me she may have an issue with her own ego. That is part of the problem. I see the hidden agendas here.

I found this out and was outraged...This person doesn't even recognize the great great grandson or myself and my children for that matter... I say my Grandson... I try to retrieve it back
I understand why she is angry, but her state of mind is focused on herself. It's prideful. She should practice compassionate love and humility in this situation. After all isn't that what the cricifix stands for? Jesus prayed for those who were persecuting him as he was dying on the cross.

t3gah

1 Corinthians 1:17-31 (World English Bible)

1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the Good News—not in wisdom of words, so that the cross of Christ wouldn’t be made void. 1:18 For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are dying, but to us who are saved it is the power of God. 1:19 For it is written,

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, I will bring the discernment of the discerning to nothing.”

1:20 Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the lawyer of this world? Hasn’t God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 1:21 For seeing that in the wisdom of God, the world through its wisdom didn’t know God, it was God’s good pleasure through the foolishness of the preaching to save those who believe. 1:22 For Jews ask for signs, Greeks seek after wisdom, 1:23 but we preach Christ crucified; a stumbling block to Jews, and foolishness to Greeks, 1:24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God. 1:25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 1:26 For you see your calling, brothers, that not many are wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, and not many noble; 1:27 but God chose the foolish things of the world that he might put to shame those who are wise. God chose the weak things of the world, that he might put to shame the things that are strong; 1:28 and God chose the lowly things of the world, and the things that are despised, and the things that are not, that he might bring to nothing the things that are: 1:29 that no flesh should boast before God. 1:30 But of him, you are in Christ Jesus, who was made to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption: 1:31 that, according as it is written, “He who boasts, let him boast in the Lord.”

No*s

Captain Obvious
Oh :). Well, yeah, that would certainly do it. They could all have a piece of the cross.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I have seen the replies that various forum members have given, and, whilt each has its own value, none of them I think, touches the 'root problem'.

When someone dies, each of us grieve and mourn in our own ways; it almost looks like the entire family have focussed their grief on the cross. How to get around it? I don't know, perhaps a very diplomatically worded letter along the lines of ' I know how you must be feeling...etc etc........But, my Grandson did put the crusifix in the casket; he now feels greatly upset, and really feels that he would like to have the crusifix returned to him, as it wasn't left in the casket, which was his original intention. Perhaps you can 'empathise' with him, and it would be a wonderfully kind act on your part to return the crusifix to him..........

(Something along those lines, anyway)

Is that of any use?:)

oracle

I agree, but like I said, talk to the person so a state of understanding can be met, find out the underlying issue. There's probably a reason why someone took it, although I wouldn't understand why. There is an issue in perception, the way things are being percieved here. Yes it has sentimental value, but why is something like that coming in between family members? It's dishonoring what the cross stands for. People are being selfish and miscommunitive.