• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CRT Divisiveness, the culprit

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Yes, and they blame all those problems on white people ("whiteness" or "white supremacy"). Nothing he said was incorrect. It's a far-left neo-Marxist ideology.

I don't see it as blaming "white people", I do see it as a way to hold systems and institutions accountable.

Never met anyone who used CRT to "blame all whites. ", Unless it came out of foxnews and co.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Given that definition, and a real world example, it would be hard to know what to conclude. Seems like a very vague, malleable, ambiguous definition.

No wonder there are so many arguments about it - it's clear as mud.

It sounds like you don't actually want to understand. That's ok.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'd go so far as to say CRT is a close equivalent to blaming the 'Jews' for people's issues.

In this case blaming whites for the entirety of black people's problems.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I'd go so far as to say CRT is a close equivalent to blaming the 'Jews' for people's issues.

Yes Black people wanted to be slaves and want to be discriminated against, white people have done nothing but try to help them!!

F1fan

Veteran Member
Yes, and they blame all those problems on white people ("whiteness" or "white supremacy").
This is what the right wing says. What they study is how racism has been an integral part of the culture in the USA. I'm sure you are aware of the rise of white supremacy in recent years, and they are actively saying that the USA is for white people. I'm curious why you don't acknowledge this. Or why these white people think this.

Nothing he said was incorrect. It's a far-left neo-Marxist ideology.
OK, explain why you believe this. Use facts.

F1fan

Veteran Member
How so? What part of CRT is just like blaming Jews for problems? I'm curious how you came to this conclusion.

What you seem to be missing is how culture in post Civil War America was still highly racist. Black people had to fight to have access to voting. Who do you think was behind these problems?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If Pub-oriented people here at RF didn't watch Fox or other right-wing media sources, they wouldn't likely have a clue what CRT even is.

Basically, it's about what we call "institutionalized racism", and it very much exists because it works on the sub-conscious. And it by no means is just a "white" phenomenon.

Also, the vast majority of school districts undoubtedly don't teach it, but one would never know that if they didn't blindly believe in the likes of Fox. IOW, it's all about the right's "culture wars" because they can't run on anything else as the Pubs didn't even have a party platform for the 2020 election.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men

Do you have actual examples of schools "blaming whites for the entirety of black people's problems"?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
What you seem to be missing is how culture in post Civil War America was still highly racist. Black people had to fight to have access to voting. Who do you think was behind these problems?

I would guess that there's no one here in denial of slavery, racism since the abolishment of slavery, and racism that still exists today. That's not really what we're talking about.

So I can be charitable and say that most of the folks who are fighting racism are well intended. I also think we should continue to fight to eradicate racism. But the question is not "if we should" but "how we should". And it seems to me that many of the initiatives championed by the far left are simply poor solutions.

So we have legitimate problems, but poor solutions.

CRT is a poor solution. The political left, liberals, whatever you want to call them. We need to be united, not divided. And things like BLM and CRT are divisive.

icehorse

Premium Member
It sounds like you don't actually want to understand. That's ok.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

Can you name a specific action or initiative that one could take "in the name of" CRT? I want to understand, but what I'm seeing is a poorly defined idea, that no one understands very well, that's leading to a lot of unnecessary divisiveness.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
No the problem is racist right wing people trying to deny that their racism exists
Here's how it works....

A school teaches about the Tulsa massacre, where white mobs rampaged through a successful and prosperous black area, burning buildings, murdering blacks, looting, and generally terrorizing the black community. Afterwards, some of the white students feel bad about that, so their parents run to the school board and/or local news and scream about how their kid has been "taught to hate themselves for being white". So they ban teaching about things like Tulsa and the kids grow up ignorant of their own history.

So, this is basically white conservatives demanding that schools not teach anything that might make their kids uncomfortable. IOW, it's more white privilege.

There's also this....

ew60dulcwa671.png

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Please don't put words in my mouth.

Can you name a specific action or initiative that one could take "in the name of" CRT? I want to understand, but what I'm seeing is a poorly defined idea, that no one understands very well, that's leading to a lot of unnecessary divisiveness.

It's a method of discussion. Not a list of action items.

Edit: it's been around for 50 years, it's not that poorly defined. It's just not defined how you like.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
And you know this how?

I am a teacher and have been accused of teaching this for my history lessons consisting of diversity of Native American cultures and posing the question of whether Columbus was a hero, villain, or both. I was also accused of bringing "CRT" into the school by starting a civil rights club.

Our trainings in equity and diversity are often met with this criticism of it being "CRT."

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I am a teacher and have been accused of teaching this for my history lessons consisting of diversity of Native American cultures and posing the question of whether Columbus was a hero, villain, or both. I was also accused of bringing "CRT" into the school by starting a civil rights club.

Our trainings in equity and diversity are often met with this criticism of it being "CRT."
I'm so sorry....I completely misread your post. Please accept my apologies. :oops:

icehorse

Premium Member
It's a method of discussion. Not a list of action items.

Edit: it's been around for 50 years, it's not that poorly defined. It's just not defined how you like.

Why do you insist on trying to make this discussion personal?

It could be that 50 years ago it was intended to be a "method of discussion". But it's clearly evolved since then. It's now being used as a political cudgel on both ends of the political spectrum. The fact that it's definition is so vague is allowing both its advocates and its detractors to bend definitions to suit their agendas. This is clearly a bad outcome for society.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

As an anthropologist who taught the subject for 30 years but retired 20 years ago, I never had that problem as it was entirely normal to talk about "race" as an ongoing issue domestically or internationally. Back then, we didn't have nearly as many low-information wackos who are so willing to buy into any bold-faced lie that is mouthed in the right-wing media.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I would guess that there's no one here in denial of slavery, racism since the abolishment of slavery, and racism that still exists today. That's not really what we're talking about.
We are talking about numerous things. One is what CRT actually teaches to students, and that is how the long term effect of racism in USA culture still affects black people today. And two, how conservatives misrepresent this subject. Oddly what CRT teaches is exactly what motivates the right to deny and misrepresent what the subject of CRT is.

So I can be charitable and say that most of the folks who are fighting racism are well intended. I also think we should continue to fight to eradicate racism. But the question is not "if we should" but "how we should".
Some black people. including academics, do come across very militant to me. But I'm also aware that I am a white male who grew up with a lot of privilege, and lack experience as a black person in our society.

One of my neighbors is a black, female, lesbian, so have three categories of life that she gets prejudice against. She has traced her family back to be enslaved in Texas, and discovered the family that owned her ancestors still live in Texas. She had a serious of anxiety attacks upon learning all this. Her experiences really helped me understand what some black people experience in a nation that is prideful about freedom, but still has a great deal of prejudice against minorities.

And it seems to me that many of the initiatives championed by the far left are simply poor solutions.
Explain this, and give examples.

So we have legitimate problems, but poor solutions.
I suggest a poor solution is allowing right wing people to get away with their disinformation and ongoing subtle racism. I see right wing people insist they aren't racist, but then have no problem spreading disinformation about CRT.

CRT is a poor solution. The political left, liberals, whatever you want to call them.
Offer a better solution. Can you point to anything the right offers that is superior? Their disinformation and misrepresentation and vilification is CERTAINLY a poor response, don't you agree?

We need to be united, not divided. And things like BLM and CRT are divisive.
OK, do you pressure conservatives to be less racist? I've not noticed you offering anything better from the right. I haven;t n noticed how you acknowledge the right has a problem of racism, albeit hiding behind "grievances".

If you want unity, you're going to have to be brutally honest. If do refuse, then you're just giving lip service.