• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crowley wasn't a satanist.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Its quite phenomenal that more than half a century after his death Crowley still draws disdain. the myth of the wickedest man in the world is still alive.

"Crowley clothed many of his teachings in the thin veil of sensational titillation. By doing so he assured himself that one, his works would only be appreciated by the few individuals capable of doing so, and two, his works would continue to generate interest and be published by and for the benefit of both his admirers and his enemies long after death.
-Lon Milo Duquette, The Magick of Aleister Crowley.

Mr Cheese

Its quite phenomenal that more than half a century after his death Crowley still draws disdain. the myth of the wickedest man in the world is still alive.

-Lon Milo Duquette, The Magick of Aleister Crowley.

After you've eaten 3lbs of carrots, you have still not eaten an orange, no matter how hard you pretend otherwise.

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
*Caladan sits back and enjoys the show*

Hookah.gif

kutulu

only through experiencing all things can you gain a decent understanding of them. its easy to assume something based on sparse "facts". crowly sought to know and control all he could to achieve a state of godliness.

my hero ^_^

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
When I look at the destruction of the lives of those who were drawn to Crowley and the sad end to his own life, I tend to think that is all I really need to know about the man and his efforts.

kutulu

When I look at the destruction of the lives of those who were drawn to Crowley and the sad end to his own life, I tend to think that is all I really need to know about the man and his efforts.

i could say the same thing about christ...

David69

Angel Of The North
only through experiencing all things can you gain a decent understanding of them. its easy to assume something based on sparse "facts". crowly sought to know and control all he could to achieve a state of godliness.

my hero ^_^

I respect the man too. He had the spirit in him! and the communication!

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
Crowley stuck his genitalia in all manner of things.. it was mainly about using them as vessels for energy....

Actually in his homosexual workings he was usually the passive partner.
He referred to his anus as the "Alchemical Oven of the Phoenix" or somesuch.

I very much doubt Crowley was a pedophile or sympathetic to them. He certainly disliked children generally it seems. And if I remember correctly lambasts the Theosophical Society at some point for harboring sodomites in reference to C.W. Leadbeater.. who was indeed a child molester.. or at least taught his class full of young teen boys to jerk off by means of demonstration...

And as far as young "boys" or men he did like younger men.. he refers a number of times to turkish or algerian men (in their 20's I imagine) who he uses for "partners" in sex magic rituals (1 way sex magic = parasitism imo but I digress) who may have been prostitutes. As a young man he cruised older sailors. The only male sex magick partner we know about (Victor Neuburg) was younger than Crowley but certainly an adult.

Crowley describes these rites in some later journals I cant remember the publishing name of.. This is also the work in which he describes his most desperate drug addictions, referring to "sessions" with leo (cocaine) and aquarius (heroin), as well as many descriptions of "gateways" he was trying to open in the midst of an ongoing ether binge. He describes the sex magick work with Neuburg (hot reading if you know the code) in "The Paris Workings"

I like Crowley but his life bears some examination. While he had, and described beautifully, many experiences of utter transcendence it seemed like overall he lived a pretty miserable life to me. And with magic the proof is in the pudding.

I would also like to know where this supposed poop eating is coming from. I have never come across a reference to this. Perhaps he also literally kills a hundred virgins every time he shoots his load? :sarcastic

I hope this doesn't come off as anti-Thelema. I have many good friends who were OTO members (they've all left post Breeze-ification in the last 5-7 years) so I see the appeal. I think Uncle Al makes a much better prophet viewed with warts and all.

Last edited:

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
Crowley's God is Man. Man IS warts and All.

Crowley was a counter-culture revolutionary. No doubt a tortured Genius. {kinda like how Jesus is portrayed in Last Tempation of Christ - awesome film]

He did a lot of what he did - so we don't have to! Existing extremely in every endeavour, pushing out the boundaries to pave the way for us to be free.

Take poop eating for example, I'm of the school we are all individual pieces of the Universe that has fragmented in order to understand itself. One star in the company of Stars etc. If the Universe wants to experience what it is like to eat poop, then let him eat poop! Noones asking me to eat poop so why care?

Thelema isn't a cult of personality. Its not WWCD? Give a ***** what Crowley did... its My Will be done.

Last edited:

JessicaSideways

Thelemic Ex-Christian
I think someone should start a breakfast-only restaurant, named after Crowley, and call it "To Eggatherion" :D

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Oh? What would be on the menu? Besides, y'know, to eggatherion and cakes of Light... :D

Love is the Law, Love under Will.