• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Criticism of religion and LGBT – equal freedom?

Should people in a secular country have equal freedoms to criticise religion and LGBT movements?

• Yes

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • LGBT movements should not be criticised to the same extent

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Religion should not be criticised to the same extent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither should be criticised

• The criticism happening is fair to both

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The criticism happening is unfair to LGBT people

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • The criticism happening is unfair to religious people

• Total voters

Piculet

Censure happens with both — both justified censure and unjustified censure.

If I lived in a country that would not permit criticism of LGBT movements, making it a topic that is out of the question in any public speech, television show or article, I would feel oppressed.

danieldemol

Premium Member

If I lived in a country that would not permit criticism of LGBT movements, making it a topic that is out of the question in any public speech, television show or article, I would feel oppressed.
I don't think there are such countries

ppp

What do you think that living in a country that will not permit criticism of LGBT movements entails? When I hear "country that will not permit" that communicates a country in which people are jailed and/or fined merely for saying that they think LGBTs should be shunned from society. Is that what you mean to communicate? Or something else?

Piculet

What do you think that living in a country that will not permit criticism of LGBT movements entails? When I hear "country that will not permit" that communicates a country in which people are jailed and/or fined merely for saying that they think LGBTs should be shunned from society. Is that what you mean to communicate? Or something else?
The details aren't important.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

You have the right to let the world know you find homosexuality quite distressing to you, and you would prefer not to see it flaunted around because it bothers you so much. Yes, you have that right to let other know you find it personally uncomfortable.

What others might understand about why that is so, is a different thing.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Cannot respond to the poll as presented. Criticism? it is to anecdotal and subjective to evaluate. Many people criticaze others for many reasons. This not the issue of the relationship between the LBGT community and churches, religion and the law.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The poll is incoherent.

It asks:
Should people in secular countries have equal freedom to criticize A and B?​
It then has a series of options having the form:
A should not be criticized to the same extent as B.​

But my right to criticize something is independent of the relative extent to which that something warrants criticism.

So, perhaps the answer is:

Yes, we have the right, if not the responsibility, to criticize a poorly conceived poll.​

Last edited:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

If I lived in a country that would not permit criticism of Islam, making it a topic that is out of the question in any public speech, TV show, or article, I would feel oppressed.

Thus the reason I do not live in a country that does just that.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

If I lived in a country that would not permit criticism of Christianity, making it a topic that is out of the question in any public speech, TV show, or article, I would feel oppressed.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

If I lived in a country that would not permit criticism of Atheism, making it a topic that is out of the question in any public speech, TV show, or article, I would feel oppressed.

Reactions: ppp

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

If I lived in a country that would not permit criticism of Child Marriage, making it a topic that is out of the question in any public speech, TV show, or article, I would feel oppressed.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Shall I continue?
I can post the same thing about a buttload (real measurement) of different topics.
Some of them people will get all up in arms over...

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The two certainly aren't equivalent, but people should have the freedom to speak their minds. People should also have the right to voice their disagreement. Debate and discourse are important when it comes to having an informed understanding.
This of course excludes threats and harassment.

Last edited: