• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Criticism of Hinduism and Buddhism. now in debate section

Lorgar-Aurelian

Moved the question because upon further thought it would be better here.
What are some criticisms of Buddhism and Hinduism? This can be anything from serious critique to plain old opinion.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
A common critique is the debate on whether Anatta and Atman is a more accurate representation of reality, and whether they are truly at odds with each other.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Is it 'Criticism of Hinduism and Buddhism', criticizing both as Eastern religions vis-a-vis perhaps the Abrahamic religions, or the differences between the two? The difference will depend on what strain of Buddhism or Hinduism one is considering. I find my views of 'Advaita' Hinduism differ very little from 'Hinayana' Buddhism.

If it is criticism of Hinduism, then a few problems are well-known and we are trying to correct them. One of them is 'caste' and the other is 'dowry'. These worsened during the British rule. The British rule broke the traditions and made people greedy, arrogant and materialistic. Indian administrators imitated their British rulers to get rich quickly by whatever means possible and so did the populace.

Last edited:

Kelly of the Phoenix

One thing that bugged me slightly while reading about the Mahabharata was this idea that "lower" animals don't have sentience or something. For a religion that believes in reincarnation, how is that even an idea?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
One thing that bugged me slightly while reading about the Mahabharata was this idea that "lower" animals don't have sentience or something. For a religion that believes in reincarnation, how is that even an idea?
There is sure a difference. Though animals too have their social norms, they do not have the capacity to do evil or good like we have. I do not know which portion of Mahabharata are you referring to, but this greater thinking capacity has put us under greater responsibility, more obligations towards our fellow humans and other who share this earth with us.

Hindus consider that to be born as humans is a chance for spiritual development and for believers an opportunity to attain 'moksha', 'nirvana', release from the cycle of birth and death and reach the God-head which must not be missed. This theme is constant and strong in our religious poetry.

"Tune raat gawayi soye ke, diwas gawaya khaye ke;
heera janam amol tha kaudi badle jaayen."
- Kabir

You wasted the night in sleeping, the day in eating;
your birth was a precious jewel, you are trading that for cowries.

* Traded just for eating, sleeping and other mundane things and not making any spiritual progress.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The word "Hinayana", its meaning and its opposite ("Mahayana") are sources of a fair amount of debate themselves.
Sure. Whether praying to Avalokiteshwara or Rama gets you wisdom/nirvana or not is sure a debate. I think it does help many people (that may be the reason why Mahayana came up - very much like Bhakti vs. Jnana in Hinduism). I base similarity of my views with Hinayana on 1. Atheism, 2. Anatta (maya, illusion and impermanence) and 3. Observance of 'dharma'.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Sure. Whether praying to Avalokiteshwara or Rama gets you wisdom/nirvana or not is sure a debate. I think it does help many people (that may be the reason why Mahayana came up - very much like Bhakti vs. Jnana in Hinduism). I base similarity of my views with Hinayana on 1. Atheism, 2. Anatta (maya, illusion and impermanence) and 3. Observance of 'dharma'.
Fair enough, but you should be made aware that apparently no Buddhist or Buddhist group ever thought of themselves as Hinayana. As one should expect.