• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creepy Amazon Things

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I found this on Amazon when I was looking for teddy bears. Look at that smile. LOOK AT IT.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e

51dXY6CGgmL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Post creepy (family friendly) stuff you've found on Amazon!

(Yeah the dude's face too....)

Last edited:

ecco

Veteran Member
tyrant-king-leeches-photo-u3

The tyrant king leech may only be three inches long, but it's plenty terrifying. It uses its huge teeth to saw into flesh to create holes for it to feed. Worse yet, it seems to intentionally aim for mammals' orifices, including the eyes, genitalia, and rectum.

Once inside its prey's body, the leech can survive and feed for weeks.​

Found in the Amazon rain forest. Were you discussing a different Amazon?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Tell you what IS creepy about Amazon.

Every time I try to buy something from them, they say they want to give me a "free trial" of Amazon Prime. They try so hard to do this that these days I have to read the small print really carefully, before I confirm payment, to make damned sure I am NOT accidentally signing up to Prime. And they keep altering the way they present this sodding "free trial", too. On the latest thing I tried to order, I carefully de-selected the Prime option, only to be told, at the confirm stage, that I was nonetheless being given a free trial of the bloody thing. So I cancelled the transaction.

I know what their game is: they hope I'll accidentally select it, will forget to cancel it (which they make as hard as possible to do, naturally) and won't notice them siphoning £7.99 per month out of my bank account ad infinitum, for doing F-all.

I barely use Amazon, and this chicanery makes me even more determined to use them as little as possible.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I know what their game is: they hope I'll accidentally select it, will forget to cancel it (which they make as hard as possible to do, naturally) and won't notice them siphoning £7.99 per month out of my bank account ad infinitum, for doing F-all.
That's basically the plan for a lot of businesses, lol.

exchemist

Veteran Member
That's basically the plan for a lot of businesses, lol.
But not major international brands, as a rule. This is the sort of shady, sneaky thing one of those dodgy little companies that goes bust after a year will do. How can it make sense for the business model of a brand like Amazon to include practising this sort of attempted trickery on its own customers? If they want to make it an all-subscription business, that's fine: I won't use them. If they want to offer a subscription option, that's also fine. But to try repeatedly to trick you into taking out a subscription by accident is not far short of criminal behaviour.

In England there is a law (1974 Consumer Credit Act) that prohibits "inertia selling", which means supplying unrequested goods or services and then charging for them if the customer does not take action to return them. What Amazon is doing comes as close as it can to this activity, without quite crossing the line.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Tell you what IS creepy about Amazon.

Every time I try to buy something from them, they say they want to give me a "free trial" of Amazon Prime. They try so hard to do this that these days I have to read the small print really carefully, before I confirm payment, to make damned sure I am NOT accidentally signing up to Prime. And they keep altering the way they present this sodding "free trial", too. On the latest thing I tried to order, I carefully de-selected the Prime option, only to be told, at the confirm stage, that I was nonetheless being given a free trial of the bloody thing. So I cancelled the transaction.

I barely use Amazon, and this chicanery makes me even more determined to use them as little as possible.

i use both Amazon UK and Amazon France, both are different, both change regularly, but both have the opt out text in light grey on white making it almost impossible to see.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
How can it make sense for the business model of a brand like Amazon to include practising this sort of attempted trickery on its own customers?
Lots of subscription services do it. Gyms love it. They lure people in with free trials and introductory offers, most people will forget, move on, and the company gets money for nothing while the costumer pays for something they don't use. That's even better than people trying the free sample and becoming regular users of what they pay for.
And they do it because people will pay and they can get away with it. It's predatory, but no laws are broken. And they know they can because people regularly agree to far worse conditions
(if I understand EULA and TOS's right, they are especially problematic in America, who lacks some of the regulation into them that Europe has).

ecco

Veteran Member
This is the sort of shady, sneaky thing one of those dodgy little companies that goes bust after a year will do.

I buy from Amazon (USA) occasionally. I usually find the same products on other websites for less. When I do buy from Amazon, I don't need to opt-out of a Prime Trial. I just select the shipping option I want.

Several years ago, I took a free month Prime and had no issues canceling it.

Maybe it's different for you folks "over there".

As an aside, I read about a UKer who gets about 25 mps download speed. Is that typical? I get about 85 over here.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I buy from Amazon (USA) occasionally. I usually find the same products on other websites for less. When I do buy from Amazon, I don't need to opt-out of a Prime Trial. I just select the shipping option I want.

As an aside, I read about a UKer who gets about 25 mps download speed. Is that typical? I get about 85 over here.
British internet is notoriously bad.

exchemist

Veteran Member

I don't know. My internet speed seems fine for what I use it for. But I'm in London, not out in the sticks.