• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creationists who think that there has "not been enough time"...

tas8831

... for humans to have evolved from an ape-like ancestor, especially those of you that rely on ReMine's claim regarding 'Haldane's Dilemma', you must answer these questions for your assertion to have merit:

1. How many fixed beneficial mutations does it take to get a new trait from an old one, and how do you know?
2. How many traits had to be modified to get a human from a human-chimp ancestor?

If you cannot answer those, then no amount of fancy math will matter.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
... for humans to have evolved from an ape-like ancestor, especially those of you that rely on ReMine's claim regarding 'Haldane's Dilemma', you must answer these questions for your assertion to have merit:

1. How many fixed beneficial mutations does it take to get a new trait from an old one, and how do you know?
2. How many traits had to be modified to get a human from a human-chimp ancestor?

If you cannot answer those, then no amount of fancy math will matter.

Isnt the matter a question of what hypothesis does the current evidence available support as opposed to whether anybody "knows" or not?

Edit: also i think there should be a questions about which hypothesis makes the best predictions. Because how accurately a hypothesis can predict certain things is pretty strong evidence for that hypothesis to be true.

sooda

Veteran Member
Isnt the matter a question of what hypothesis does the current evidence available support as opposed to whether anybody "knows" or not?

Edit: also i think there should be a questions about which hypothesis makes the best predictions. Because how accurately a hypothesis can predict certain things is pretty strong evidence for that hypothesis to be true.

Cave drawings in France are 40,000 years old.. and tools found in Africa and Arabia are 100,000 years old.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Mathematical models are just that: models. If the assumptions of the model are wrong, the conclusions are likely to be.

The test of a model is to look at reality. And, we have the data showing that humans *have* evolved from an 'ape-like' ancestor.

So any mathematical model that says it is impossible just shows that model to be wrong.

Whether that is interesting or not depends on the model. If that model is based on what are generally acknowledged as facts, then there may be a crisis. If the model is based on poorly thought out assumptions, then it can be safely discarded.

Last edited:

tas8831

No.
If the creationist wants to claim that there has not been enough time (based on how many beneficial mutations 'can be' fixed in a certain time-frame, ala ReMine), then they need to provide documentation regarding how many mutations would have been required to get these new traits.

They like to claim 'X is not enough mutations to get a Sapien from a Simian!' (that is a what ReMine claimed in his book and paper, several professional YECs parrot his claims, and several YECs on here and referred to his claims).

Well, you cannot claim 'X is not enough' if you do not know how many would have actually been required.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
No.
If the creationist wants to claim that there has not been enough time (based on how many beneficial mutations 'can be' fixed in a certain time-frame, ala ReMine), then they need to provide documentation regarding how many mutations would have been required to get these new traits.

They like to claim 'X is not enough mutations to get a Sapien from a Simian!' (that is a what ReMine claimed in his book and paper, several professional YECs parrot his claims, and several YECs on here and referred to his claims).

Well, you cannot claim 'X is not enough' if you do not know how many would have actually been required.

Technically, it might not be necessary to do it this way. if you have a well-tested theory of fixation AND you have an lower bound on the number of mutations required AND you have an upper bound from the theory for the number of mutations possible AND if the upper bound is orders of magnitude smaller than the lower bound, THEN you can conclude that something is wrong.

Audie

Veteran Member
Mathematical models are just that: models. If the assumptions of the model are wrong, the conclusions are likely to be.

The test of a model is to look at reality. And, we have the data showing that humans *have* evolved from an 'ape-like' ancestor.

So any mathematical model that says it is impossible just shows that model to be wrong. Whether that is interesting or not depends on the model. If that model is based on what are generally acknowledged as facts, then there may be a crisis. If the model is based on poorly thought out assumptions, then it can be safely discarded.

And from the crisis a breakthrough be born

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
No.

Well yes, they need evidence and make predictions using that evidence. It sounds like they have none.

Audie

Veteran Member
Well yes, they need evidence and make predictions using that evidence. It sounds like they have none.

Ha. Easy peasy. SEDI! (same evidence, different interpretation)

What do you think of this, as an explanation of the
creationist mindset-

That they KNOW ToE is false, and that the earth
is but some few k years old.

No story about evolution can possibly
be true.
So while they may be a point or two off
compass on some of their objections,
what difference does that actually make?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Ha. Easy peasy. SEDI! (same evidence, different interpretation)

What do you think of this, as an explanation of the
creationist mindset-

That they KNOW ToE is false, and that the earth
is but some few k years old.

No story about evolution can possibly
be true.
So while they may be a point or two off
compass on some of their objections,
what difference does that actually make?

I would ask them "what makes them so convinced that the theory of evolution cannot be true?"

And I would also ask "what alternate theory they have as to why the theory of evolution can make predictions so well if it is false?"

There are other questions I would ask but having been religious for 7 years and rejecting evolution in that time I can say that I never actually tried to understand why people say evolution is true. Now that i have seen just a little of that reasoning my mind has changed.

So i would also ask them "have you studied why people say the theory of evolution is true? And if you havent, how can you reject it? Are you being biased?"

tas8831

Technically, it might not be necessary to do it this way. if you have a well-tested theory of fixation AND you have an lower bound on the number of mutations required AND you have an upper bound from the theory for the number of mutations possible AND if the upper bound is orders of magnitude smaller than the lower bound, THEN you can conclude that something is wrong.
They don't even attempt such a thing, they just claim 'X is not enough.' They do not even offer a rationale, or even an analogy. Just their incredulity.

tas8831

So any mathematical model that says it is impossible just shows that model to be wrong.

Whether that is interesting or not depends on the model. If that model is based on what are generally acknowledged as facts, then there may be a crisis. If the model is based on poorly thought out assumptions, then it can be safely discarded.
Exactly.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
They don't even attempt such a thing, they just claim 'X is not enough.' They do not even offer a rationale, or even an analogy. Just their incredulity.

Well, I gave a situation where a conclusion could be reached. That they are not in such a situation isn't my fault.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
What i dont think they realise is that even though those big numbers show that it is difficult or unlikely for certain things to happen, the numbers still say that there is a chance that they can happen.

I also think they don't understand the difficulties of doing a good mathematical analysis. It is easy to multiply numbers together to get very large numbers. The problem is that simple multiplication is seldom the correct model because it is based on each step being probabilisticly independent of all other steps and that a whole is done in one shot. This is seldom the case.

The ridiculous numbers obtained just shows that the events in question aren't independent in this way or aren't the result of a one-shot event. In other words, the naive mathematical model is wrong.

In one of my biochem books, there was a calculation (done originally by Pauling, IIRC) of how many different arrangements there are for protein folding of insulin. It then determined how long it would take for the protein to find the 'correct' configuration by chance. The answer was thousands of years.

Yet, the protein folds in fractions of a second. Which only shows that configurations are not 'tried' randomly.

Last edited: