• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creationism and Darwin, are they cloven, parallel, or just "you never know"?

HonestJoe

What straight forward thing did I present?
The narrative in your first paragraph as I quoted.

Thats empirically wrong.
I can only speak from my own experience. Note that I was making a distinction between people who specifically criticise "Darwinism" as a generic pejorative and those who criticise actual evolutionary theory. Maybe "Darwinism" is a problematic a term as "Creationist" and both are best avoided.

Then why?
You mean why is faith and religion involved in the discussion? As I said, people are flawed.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
My position is that Darwinism and creationism are both true. I do not think it likely at all that the complexity of life and DNA was produced by only the known physical laws operating without some conscious intent for life.
I don't think theistic evolution should be lumped with creationism, which tends to be the literal interpretation of creation myths.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Darwinian evolution is a modern theory. I dont understand your question. Or do you think that I believe there is a conflict between what ever you refer to as "modern evolution theory" and "darwinian evolution"? If you explain what you mean by "modern evolution theory" I can probably understand what you mean by that.
The theory of evolution has gotten more accurate and precise as time goes on. It's referred to as the "theory of evolution". It has nothing to do with Darwin. Darwin (and Wallace) just happens to be the first to publish the observations and predictions about the process of evolution. Darwin was wrong about a lot, but that was in the 1850's.

"Darwinian evolution" is a misnomer and tends to be used by creationists as a means of discrediting evolution. How they attempt this is by associating evolution with Darwin, and then point out how Darwin was wrong about certain things. It's part of their disingenuous debate tactics.

Scientific theories dont care about a God or any metaphysical causation.
Science only deal with facts. There is no supernatural phenomenon known to exist so these religious ideas are simply irrelevant. There are religious scientists, but they know to keep their religion out of science.

Science assumes a naturalistic universe and that's that.
This is misleading. Science deals with facts and data. These have to be verifiable. It's all a natural process and nothing has to be assumed.

Theists assume a methodological naturalism in science.
They have to if they want to keep their jobs.

King Phenomenon

Just call evolution a fact and move on. Works for me. I don’t buy evolution but it still remains a fact, all day long, in the world of facts.

No one ever said you had to buy a fact.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Just call evolution a fact and move on. Works for me. I don’t buy evolution but it still remains a fact, all day long, in the world of facts.

No one ever said you had to buy a fact.

Evolution is fact. True. But the thread is more than that.

firedragon

Veteran Member
U were askin if creationists have a problem. What I wrote solves the problem if they have one.

I understand that. But see, there are some people who call themselves or fall into the bracket of creationism who oppose evolution. But even they will not be swayed by a statement that says "evolution is fact, so move on".

Anyway Jimmy, what you must understand is that the question is to discuss the problem. Also, it is to note and explore if everyone has a problem. Do they have a problem with evolution per se or is it with one theory?

King Phenomenon

I understand that. But see, there are some people who call themselves or fall into the bracket of creationism who oppose evolution. But even they will not be swayed by a statement that says "evolution is fact, so move on".

Anyway Jimmy, what you must understand is that the question is to discuss the problem. Also, it is to note and explore if everyone has a problem. Do they have a problem with evolution per se or is it with one theory?
I don’t know. I keep things simple. Works for me. Who knows what there problem is. To be honest I don’t really care

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Darwinian evolution is a modern theory. I dont understand your question. Or do you think that I believe there is a conflict between what ever you refer to as "modern evolution theory" and "darwinian evolution"? If you explain what you mean by "modern evolution theory" I can probably understand what you mean by that.

Scientific theories dont care about a God or any metaphysical causation. Science assumes a naturalistic universe and that's that. Theists assume a methodological naturalism in science.
Modern theory of biological evolution is not called "Darwinian Mechanism". Darwin is the founder and pioneering contributor, but since his time many other mechanisms, theories and models have been incorporated into it that were unknown by Darwin.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Modern theory of biological evolution is not called "Darwinian Mechanism". Darwin is the founder and pioneering contributor, but since his time many other mechanisms, theories and models have been incorporated into it that were unknown by Darwin.

Okay. So the Darwinian theory of evolution has any other mechanism other than the darwinian mechanism? Is it?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay. So the Darwinian theory of evolution has any other mechanism other than the darwinian mechanism? Is it?
As I said it is NOT called Darwinian theory of evolution. Please find me a science textbook on the topic that uses this name. If not, then please do not call it by a wrong name.
Second yes. Biological Evolutionary theory has several mechanisms apart from those proposed by Darwin. Several mechanisms proposed by Darwin are also not a part of the theory due to lack of evidence.
Mechanism proposed by Darwin that ARE included: Natural selection, sexual selection
Mechanisms proposed by Darwin that are NOT included: group selection
Mechanisms included but are NOT proposed by Darwin : Neutral theory, genetic drift, endosymbiosis, constraints coming from developmental biology, epigenetic changes, horizontal gene transfer

firedragon

Veteran Member
As I said it is NOT called Darwinian theory of evolution. Please find me a science textbook on the topic that uses this name. If not, then please do not call it by a wrong name.
Second yes. Biological Evolutionary theory has several mechanisms apart from those proposed by Darwin. Several mechanisms proposed by Darwin are also not a part of the theory due to lack of evidence.
Mechanism proposed by Darwin that ARE included: Natural selection, sexual selection
Mechanisms proposed by Darwin that are NOT included: group selection
Mechanisms included but are NOT proposed by Darwin : Neutral theory, genetic drift, endosymbiosis, constraints coming from developmental biology, epigenetic changes, horizontal gene transfer

I am referring to darwinian theory specifically. If there is a rule in the forum not to use it, then of course you can delete this thread. No problem. But I will use it.

I dont know textbooks because I am not an evolutionary biologist. Yet you want to see it in use? No problem.

1. Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy page number 1232
2. God the failed hypothesis by Victor J Stenger
3. American Heritage dictionary - 3rd edition
4. Michael Ruse in many of his books.
5. Relativity - Albert Einstein, Roger Penrose introduction and commentary by Robert Geroch
6. Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy
7. Encyclopedia of time
8. The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins
9. Encyclopedia of Human Ecology

Maybe you should go to all of them and tell them all "we have a rule. You can't use the term Darwinian Evolution because you are wrong".

Peace.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I am referring to darwinian theory specifically. If there is a rule in the forum not to use it, then of course you can delete this thread. No problem. But I will use it.

I dont know textbooks because I am not an evolutionary biologist. Yet you want to see it in use? No problem.

1. Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy page number 1232
2. God the failed hypothesis by Victor J Stenger
3. American Heritage dictionary - 3rd edition
4. Michael Ruse in many of his books.
5. Relativity - Albert Einstein, Roger Penrose introduction and commentary by Robert Geroch
6. Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy
7. Encyclopedia of time
8. The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins
9. Encyclopedia of Human Ecology

Maybe you should go to all of them and tell them all "we have a rule. You can't use the term Darwinian Evolution because you are wrong".

Peace.
Yes they should not have used it. Its scientifically wrong terminology. I notice that most of them are not actual science books are they? But I have to see the context.

My problem is that since the word "Darwinian theory" or "Darwinian mechanism" is not used in science, I do not know what is meant by it. If it means whatever Darwin wrote in his original book, then half of it is no longer accepted by modern biological sciences...especially since he did not know about genes and posited mechanisms of hereditary change that proved to be wrong. If it means only those parts of Darwin's proposals that are accepted by todays biological sciences (like natural selection based in fitness, evolution through reproductive competition among variants, sexual selection) then yes, those I do accept, with the important caveat that there are several other evolutionary mechanisms as well beyond those that were discovered after Darwin. Many more may also be discovered in future.