• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creation vs. Evolution

Rex

Founder
Creation Theory- God created everything

Evolution Theory- Man has evolved from basically bacteria which started as a result of the big bang (some don't include that in this theory)

I am really not sure what some other religions say about this topic.

Runt

My Theory: God created evolution

Couldn't evolution be the mechanism by which God chose to create? Just like, even though God created every man and woman, the mechanism by which He created them is human reproduction?

Genesis states that plants were created, then the animals, and then mankind. Well evolution says the same thing. Perhaps Genesis was speaking about Evolution metaphorically (each "Day" to God was really several millinia, but time passes differently for God because He is eternal, and so by the sixth day mankind had been created?)

Those recieving God's word were unable to understand Evolution because they did not have the scientific knowledge we do today. So perhaps God explained it to them in terms they could understand?

deahca2

I like runts comments. In my faith, the day was seen as "from the beginning of an action to the end of that action " ( by G-d). So the "week" may be in fact billions of years to a second.

ErikaLee

When I was a Christian (for the first 21 years of my life) I believed what Runt said. To me that made the most sense.

Why there has to be such a dividing line (sometimes an ugly one) between these two topics never made sense to me.

Science and Religion can coexist! Just hold hands and breathe people!

But I'm going to freak everyone out with this one:

Evolution created the universe, and Aliens created us. Don't throw things at me, please, it's just my opinion. :lol:

Heya Deah you thing you....
here are some esoteric ideas (believe them or not)....

1. Creation occured in 7 days.....this represents the 7 universal directions....UP, DOWN, NORTH< EAST,WEST, SOUTH and WITHIN......

THe 7 directions are common to many faiths and cultures...and are biblicaly found in the idea of the Tree of life in eden being surrounded by 4 rivers...we can imagine the 4 cardinal directions with a spine(the tree) placed in the centre...kinda like the imaginary poles of the earth....

Besides the Bible the bible Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan alludes to the 7 directions in his version of the Sefer Yetzirah (book of formation)......

2.The Bible is Kabbalah.....lets look at kabbalism and creation briefly.....

Outside the tree of life is the all nothing..the great unmanifest..the 3 levels of AIN,AIN SOPH and AIN SOPH AUR...through CONSTRICTION (TZIM TZUM in hebrew)the "all nothing" EMANATED the MONAD...known as kether..crown...who's holy name in hebrew translates to I am that I am (I wont post the hebrew for respect to Deah)...then as we progress down the tree we carry on with EMANATION......

This proceses can be rationalised thusly: a thing is an idea...it gathers momentum and starts to form...and becomes....like something changiing
state of matter ..from nothing to finally becoming "SOLID".....So in effect..Kabbalism uses the word EMANATION...but it could be seen as evolution...as clearly...I am that I am...BECOMES ...the "earth"....

None of thois makes any sense does it!...lol...

Kabbalism also has a sayiing "the beiginning is in the end"........the end is the beginning ....

But that strays off into WHY creation rather than how....

Adam Kadmon save me......aggggggggh :shock: :roll:

http://www.kheper.net/topics/worldviews/emanationism.htm read more about emanation

RavenRose

From a scientific point of view... evolution had nothing to do with the beginning (many scientists like the idea that the universe had NO beginning) of the Universe. That is why there is a field of cosmology. It's diffrent to talk about evolution of the cosmos and the evolution of life.

deahca2

size=12] [/size] RE: Kabbalah

Contrary to what most non Jews think , we don't all go in for the Kabbalah. It's not a necessity, after all. We leave that to the Jewish Scholars. It adds a colour and meaning to our religion that we appreciate.
In fact, I'm totally against playing with it, but, that's just me. I suppose I offend easily in this regard. It's akin ( to me) to me taking august Christian writings and playing with them and adjusting them to suit my purpose. So, I'll eschew talking about it. G-d bless
Deah

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Buddha said the question of who made the world was not really an important one.....

He felt it is more important to deal with the fact that people are suffering.

deahca2

I'm with Buddha on this one. The whole point is, WE'RE HERE. We might as well get on with it. What a waste to sit and worry about how G-d did or didn't do. :)
I got a quote once from someone. He said " Life is not about finding yourself, life is about creating yourself" . By this I took it to mean, we should be busy making our lives.

deah

Runt

I believe you can, as long as you think of evolution as the mechanism by which God created the world in Genesis. In Genesis it says that plants were created, then animals, then humans. Evolution basically says the same thing. Perhaps because God is eternal It those seven days were just REALLY long?

Engyo said:
Buddha said the question of who made the world was not really an important one.....

He felt it is more important to deal with the fact that people are suffering.

Buddhist suffering is about the falseness of reality and material possesions..though isnt it? as opposed to suffering as I chopped my left leg off whilst carving a turkey.... :roll:

deahca2

In my faith we are to concentrate on this life and not "store up goodie points " with G-d for a benefit later. If we all left this planet just a tiny bit better than when we got here, wouldn't it be grand?
OH and the "time line". We see one day ( genesis) as from the "beginning of an action until the end of that action by G-d".Well, my branch of Judaism, anyway, lol. So, that beginning of action can be an instant to millenia or even billenia.
Deah

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Master Hoomer -

Actually it is all suffering - no real differentiation. Chopping your leg while carving turkey is just as much about the 3 Poisons (ignorance, anger & greed) and lack of mindfulness as suffering because your neighbor bought a Lexus and you can't afford a new car at all.

Death

Rex_Admin said:
Creation Theory- God created everything

Evolution Theory- Man has evolved from basically bacteria which started as a result of the big bang (some don't include that in this theory)

That's a gross oversimplification.

Evolution theory is based around:

• Heredity, that is, genetic information passed down from parents, this is clearly demonstratable, think of talk-shows with paternity tests, or even physical traits that are passed down in the family like bad eyesight, heart disease or cancer or CF.
  • Reproduction, which is covered in most sex education and nature programs. Babies are evidence this occurs.
  • Selection, or who gets to pass on their genes via reproduction. This happens in the wild according to what traits are beneficial, or thanks to humans, like in breeding specific breeds of cattle or dog or whatever with what traits we want to see survive.
  • Mutation, or changes in the genetic code, resulting in different proteins being coded for, and new traits result.

I am really not sure what some other religions say about this topic.

Nature based ones don't have anything really against it. Fundamentalist protestant christians and muslims are the largest factions of people who don't believe in evolution, people like the flat earthers and others.

I believe you can, as long as you think of evolution as the mechanism by which God created the world in Genesis. In Genesis it says that plants were created,

BEFORE the Sun.

then animals, then humans. Evolution basically says the same thing. Perhaps because God is eternal It those seven days were just REALLY long?

Because it says days and uses words like morning and evening. There's no reason to think it means anything other than what it says, unless you've already decided the religious text is correct and must interpret it ad-hoc to fit with current knowledge.

As for AiG, they are not a reputable source, they are pseudoscientific to the extreme and just read this from their own page:

[url=http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/about/faith.asp said:
AnswersinGenesis[/url]] "By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the Scriptural record."

I suggest you read my page regarding creation/evolution.

deahca2

Sorry, I think that's a low blow. Not EVERYONE takes scriptures literally.
G-d may have created scientifically. I find that both beliefs creation /evolution can live quite well together
One day could well mean 1 billion years or parsec for that matter.