• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creating your own religion: Where to start?

StevenKoren

For many people, one of the already-existing religions is satisfactory, but for others there's something that's not quite right. Maybe they believe in God, just not how it's practiced; or maybe they don't agree on theological issues.

Most religions contain one or more of the following:

Theology
Code of Ethics/Morals
Views of the Beginning of the World
Views of the afterlife
History/Epics/Stories of Prophets
Sacred sites/places of worship/holy ground
Guidelines for Rituals

In many ways, building a religion from scratch is like planning a city. You start small. You create the basic layout and you go from there.

How would you go about creating a religion?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
How to make a religion that gets famous and lots of followers such as Mormonism, Scientology, Nation of Islam, etc.: Lie in saying you have met a creator deity or have talked to a spirit etc.

How to make a religion that isn't too famous such as Objectivism, Satanism, etc.: Be honest and truthful or metaphorical at the most and write books with the description of your philosophy, but not too summarized, add some cool symbols and talk about other stuff too otherwise it'd only be like 10 pages lol.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Start with what is important to YOU. As a Neopagan, I effectively create my own religious tradition within that umbrella and as interesting as it can be to hit on the big questions that other world religions address, I honestly find many of them unimportant. How the world began, for example, is pretty irrelevant in my opinion, since the focus should be on appreciating and celebrating the here and now. Star with what YOU value and what YOU consider sacred. That serves as the hub of the wheel. My hub is Gaea - as in planet earth - as that is the chief sacred source I honor and revere. Someone else might pick the nuclear family as their hub, while yet someone else might pick the afterlife as their hub.

John Williams

in others religions believe in God,but our description of philosophy would first start inducing in my self a mystical experience of faith.

Vultar

Why is the general opinion that you have to lie or manufacture a story in order to start a Religion?

Would the truth not be a better basis to build a foundation on?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Probably because most folk who aren't out to scam others are content to keep the things listed in the op relatively private.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think your list of requirements is overly complicated, Steven. I think all you need is a 'revelation' or new interpretation and an insecure audience.

Why is the general opinion that you have to lie or manufacture a story in order to start a Religion?

Would the truth not be a better basis to build a foundation on?
But the truth wouldn't lead to religiosity. It would more likely support reason and science.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I think your list of requirements is overly complicated, Steven. I think all you need is a 'revelation' or new interpretation and an insecure audience.
He's banned.

But the truth wouldn't lead to religiosity. It would more likely support reason and science.
You say that like they're mutually exclusive.

Freedomelf

My religion accepts that all religion is based in myth. When that is the basis for a religion, then any myths within it are grounded in the truth that they are myth. The only important thing is that the myth points you in the right direction, and opens your soul to truth. Does that make sense? Don't worry if it doesn't; It's my religion, not yours, and that's fine. :)

Adi Baba

As someone who is in a new religious movement, I'd say being n enlightened being gives you the cred to start a religion of a sect of a larger religion.

Vultar

Πολυπέρχων Γʹ;3132140 said:
Put on a suit and ask the Bank for a loan. You might need it if the collection box comes up a bit short.

A true religion does not need money... leave that to the scam religions...