• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creating Your Own Music

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I currently use the GarageBand app but am looking for a new means of creating electronic music digitally or with a device/s. I want to explore more contemporary / experimental musical ideas.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Anything you use? Or know about?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I use Studio One 4.6 as my DAW. I have multiple midi controllers, but just last week purchased Native Instrument's Komplete Kontrol M32 keyboard, for the specific reason that it ties in with Komplete Kontrol. That is a great way to not only manage all your VST and sample libraries, but it gives you direct control to things like modulation, lfos, filters, volumes, and such to manipulate as you are performing it while you're recording. It is the "rug that ties the room together" for me, as a Big Lebowski reference there.

I have multiple instruments from Native Instruments, and I also have Arturia's Series V version 7 library, which is absolutely fantastic. They just came out with version 8. Wait until things go on sale with them, same with Native Instruments, as things go 50% or more at times. So the series V collection lists at $499, but I got mine for $249 this time last year, around the holidays.

Also, there's a bunch of really powerful free stuff I could point you to, like Spitfire's Lab series, which are fantastic samples, as well as the free version of BBC orchestra, complete. Very nice. Very usable.

I spend a lot of my time immersed in that world, so anything you'd like to know, ask away. I don't know everything, but I do know a fair amount.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I use Studio One 4.6 as my DAW. I have multiple midi controllers, but just last week purchased Native Instrument's Komplete Kontrol M32 keyboard, for the specific reason that it ties in with Komplete Kontrol. That is a great way to not only manage all your VST and sample libraries, but it gives you direct control to things like modulation, lfos, filters, volumes, and such to manipulate as you are performing it while you're recording. It is the "rug that ties the room together" for me, as a Big Lebowski reference there.

I have multiple instruments from Native Instruments, and I also have Arturia's Series V version 7 library, which is absolutely fantastic. They just came out with version 8. Wait until things go on sale with them, same with Native Instruments, as things go 50% or more at times. So the series V collection lists at $499, but I got mine for $249 this time last year, around the holidays.

Also, there's a bunch of really powerful free stuff I could point you to, like Spitfire's Lab series, which are fantastic samples, as well as the free version of BBC orchestra, complete. Very nice. Very usable.

I spend a lot of my time immersed in that world, so anything you'd like to know, ask away. I don't know everything, but I do know a fair amount.
Good grief! Thanks. You're way beyond me. I'm a dabbler. I learned to read music and played a few instruments a million years ago, so that is all gone. I didn't learn keyboards. I'm more interested in sound manipulation, if I may call it that, rather than what one might put on a stave. Think Tristan Murail without the talent!

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Good grief! Thanks. You're way beyond me. I'm a dabbler. I learned to read music and played a few instruments a million years ago, so that is all gone. I didn't learn keyboards. I'm more interested in sound manipulation, if I may call it that, rather than what one might put on a stave. Think Tristan Murail without the talent!
Sure, this is sound design, ambient texture stuff. I recognize a lot of what I'm hearing, and I can point you right now to where to download that stuff. I do similar things when I'm in the mood. You don't need to be a keyboardist to play with sounds like this. But having a basic midi controller is good for playing around with the sounds.

In this free bundle, you'll get Space Drone, which is right up your ally. But you need to run it through the Komplete Kontrol which is also free and I'll link to it for you too.

KOMPLETE START

KOMPLETE KONTROL

In fact, just download all their free stuff from this page. Micro Prism is way cool. I think you'll appreciate this stuff:

Free | Catalog

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Sure, this is sound design, ambient texture stuff. I recognize a lot of what I'm hearing, and I can point you right now to where to download that stuff. I do similar things when I'm in the mood. You don't need to be a keyboardist to play with sounds like this. But having a basic midi controller is good for playing around with the sounds.

In this free bundle, you'll get Space Drone, which is right up your ally. But you need to run it through the Komplete Kontrol which is also free and I'll link to it for you too.

KOMPLETE START

KOMPLETE KONTROL

In fact, just download all their free stuff from this page. Micro Prism is way cool. I think you'll appreciate this stuff:

Free | Catalog
Major thanks. I'll get right into this tomorrow. :sunglasses:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Major thanks. I'll get right into this tomorrow. :sunglasses:
You're going to love this stuff! I certainly do! I'll be happy to help you with questions with it. I found a link that may help you set this up in Garageband, as I don't use that myself: Setting Up Apple GarageBand for KOMPLETE KONTROL

BTW, this my setup, minus my new M32 controller I just got.

studio.jpg

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That looks mightily impressive.

I was thinking I'd be jettisoning GB?
I use a PC, so I've never used it. I don't know how capable it really is, but from what I can see it should be able to do some basic stuff, at least well enough to lay some stuff down and get used to DAWs.

I know if you're interested in going deeper, that little M32 controller I just got, will not only give you great control of your instruments through the Komplete Kontrol software, it also come with some free software, including Ableton Live, lite, which is a capable DAW that's really popular. It's the lite version, so it's not as powerful as the paid versions, but certainly capable enough, not doubt more so than GarageBand.

https://www.amazon.com/Native-Instruments-Komplete-Controller-Keyboard/dp/B07N2VQ1NH/ref=sr_1_5?crid=114IUWNMACYPL&dchild=1&keywords=komplete+kontrol+m32&qid=1608421565&sprefix=komple,aps,206&sr=8-5

BTW, don't buy the refurbed keyboards of this model, a lot of times people have registered them, and you won't be able to download the free stuff, like Ableton live.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Cooky

Veteran Member
I could, yes. I have the instrumentation to do this with, I'd just have to play around with the sound and style a while. I like it. I could see doing something like this. Do you play? Is this you? It's quite good. It inspires me.

Not me, no. I do like electronic music though, quite a bit, particularly Com Truise.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I use a PC, so I've never used it. I don't know how capable it really is, but from what I can see it should be able to do some basic stuff, at least well enough to lay some stuff down and get used to DAWs.

I know if you're interested in going deeper, that little M32 controller I just got, will not only give you great control of your instruments through the Komplete Kontrol software, it also come with some free software, including Ableton Live, lite, which is a capable DAW that's really popular. It's the lite version, so it's not as powerful as the paid versions, but certainly capable enough, not doubt more so than GarageBand.

https://www.amazon.com/Native-Instruments-Komplete-Controller-Keyboard/dp/B07N2VQ1NH/ref=sr_1_5?crid=114IUWNMACYPL&dchild=1&keywords=komplete+kontrol+m32&qid=1608421565&sprefix=komple,aps,206&sr=8-5

BTW, don't buy the refurbed keyboards of this model, a lot of times people have registered them, and you won't be able to download the free stuff, like Ableton live.
I'm talking instrument free here!
What is DAW?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Me too. There is something magical about people playing their music on a warm summer day out on the street. :heart:
One of the instruments I can play fairly well is a Northern Indian bamboo flute called a bansuri. It's an extremely expressive, but challenging and unforgiving instrument to play. What I enjoy is how I can easily take it with me places and play it outside.

I've gotten good enough with it now after a few years with it that I'll sit out front of my house and play it. I'm getting used to playing it in front of people now, and occasionally I'll take it to the park to play by the lake. Here's one of the Raga's that I like to play, or rather practice when I play outside where others walk by me.... ;)