• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creating Life

Aasimar

Atheist
You cannot prove that evolution doesn't exist because there is no explanation for the beginning......it doesn't work that way.

I personally agree with you (in that there is a God, and that we will never be able to mimic the creation of life...that divine spark which can only come from God) , but I believe in evolution...there is too much evidence for it.

But I don't see that accepting Evolution is a 'slight' agaisnt God; don't you agree?

I was browsing mindlessly as I tend to today, and I saw this post in some anti-evolution post. And it got me thinking.

If (Hypothetical) mankind discovered how to create life. Really create life as in take something completely inert and make it alive, how would that impact your worldview? And would you feel mankind is "Trampling in the garden of an angry God" or some such view (Man shouldn't play god sort of thing?)

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I was browsing mindlessly as I tend to today, and I saw this post in some anti-evolution post. And it got me thinking.

If (Hypothetical) mankind discovered how to create life. Really create life as in take something completely inert and make it alive, how would that impact your worldview? And would you feel mankind is "Trampling in the garden of an angry God" or some such view (Man shouldn't play god sort of thing?)
I'm thinking of a parody of Pinnochio starring Sunstone's latex love doll.

blackout

Violet.
I'm thinking of a parody of Pinnochio starring Sunstone's latex love doll.

But then would Sunstone want her anymore?!:cover:

Then again would Ms Tiffany want Sunstone?!:eek:

Look at that!
You atheists liberals are nothing but a bunch of no good home wreckers!

Down with the living love dolls I say!!!
It's just not natural!:p

kmkemp

My worldview wouldn't change. It would be yet another way that God works through natural laws, in my view. Still, I don't expect that man should ever be able to accomplish creation from nothing. I suspect by the backlash against evolution that there would be many upset Christians who would lose faith.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
My worldview wouldn't change. It would be yet another way that God works through natural laws, in my view. Still, I don't expect that man should ever be able to accomplish creation from nothing. I suspect by the backlash against evolution that there would be many upset Christians who would lose faith.
I never did understand how someone can go from "everything from nothing" to "life cannot come from no life" and yet hold that both are true.

Quath

We could copy life by creatinbg it atom for atom. But then I would think religious people would see that as just copying what God designed, not crerating life.

What I think will be more of a challenge for the religious is the creation of "artificial" life. If we can program a minitature robot that is just as smart as a cockroach, have we made life? Does it just need the ability to make new mini-robots before we accept that it is life like?

kmkemp

I never did understand how someone can go from "everything from nothing" to "life cannot come from no life" and yet hold that both are true.

It's simple, really. There are many places that God causes his will through natural processes (ie the Flood). So the Christians that believe in evolution obviously don't take the creation story literally in the first place, so why would life from no life be any different? I think that, if it is not possible for man to do it, then that is the best evidence yet for God, though, so I nonetheless would be disappointed if we are able to (not to mention the ramifications of that getting into the wrong hands).

Aasimar

Atheist
We could copy life by creatinbg it atom for atom. But then I would think religious people would see that as just copying what God designed, not crerating life.

What I think will be more of a challenge for the religious is the creation of "artificial" life. If we can program a minitature robot that is just as smart as a cockroach, have we made life? Does it just need the ability to make new mini-robots before we accept that it is life like?

I dunno, but it would still be awesome nonetheless.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

It's simple, really. There are many places that God causes his will through natural processes (ie the Flood). So the Christians that believe in evolution obviously don't take the creation story literally in the first place, so why would life from no life be any different? I think that, if it is not possible for man to do it, then that is the best evidence yet for God, though, so I nonetheless would be disappointed if we are able to (not to mention the ramifications of that getting into the wrong hands).
And what does this have to do with what I said?

I know several people who have absolutely no problem with the idea that God made everything from absolute nothing, yet will argue that life cannot come from no life.

The problem is that if there is everything from nothing, life came from no life.
Other wise there would still be no life.

Of course, to be able to not have to think about this, they run tail tucked to their safety net about how God is not bound by any rules.

Captain Civic

version 2.0
And what does this have to do with what I said?

I know several people who have absolutely no problem with the idea that God made everything from absolute nothing, yet will argue that life cannot come from no life.

The problem is that if there is everything from nothing, life came from no life.
Other wise there would still be no life.

Of course, to be able to not have to think about this, they run tail tucked to their safety net about how God is not bound by any rules.

I assume you've heard the explanation before, but the "life came from no life" is the natural, biological arugment that finds confusion with its (natural) laws. God "creating everything from nothing" is free of these laws, as it was He who created the laws to which we argue against in the first place.

Of course, I expect a reply similar to "oh, what a convenient scapegoat," but I thought I'd explain it the way I see it.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I assume you've heard the explanation before, but the "life came from no life" is the natural, biological arugment that finds confusion with its (natural) laws. God "creating everything from nothing" is free of these laws, as it was He who created the laws to which we argue against in the first place.

Of course, I expect a reply similar to "oh, what a convenient scapegoat," but I thought I'd explain it the way I see it.
Yes, I understand that many people have no problem with an immoral hypocritical deity.

Ceridwen018

Really create life as in take something completely inert and make it alive,

Um, well...they can.

Scientists can "create" organic molecules from inorganic molecules. By "create," I mean that they put all the necessry components (water, CO(2), Nitrogen, and some heat) together in a lab and then just watch it all react.

They also have a pretty good idea how those initial organic molecules eventually lead to things like cyanobacteria-->algae-->plants, or cyanobacteria-->protists-->animals, for a highly simplified explanation, and the vast majority of the steps in between have been reproduced and observed in the lab.

I don't think scientists will ever be able to create a full human from inorganic molecules, because humans didn't come from inorganic molecules: we came from other animals. The only things that came from inorganic molecules were simple organic molecules like amino acids, fats, and nucleotides. Add a couple billion years onto those and you'll have your human.

Maybe what you're trying to ask is "what if scientists discovered how life initially came about," which they have. And guess what, it wasn't god.