• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crazy can be a good thing

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Recently on social media I have been called "crazy" by multiple people

But I think this is good

Because it means that my thinking is beyond what is considered normal

And I don't think that normal thinking is necessarily good, indeed I think it can be unhealthy and counter-productive

I'll take it as a compliment, thank you very much :D

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac

But I think this is good

And I don't think that normal thinking is necessarily good, indeed I think it can be unhealthy and counter-productive

You may be onto something!

Are you familiar with R. D. Laing?

The condition of alienation, of being asleep, of being unconscious, of being out of one’s mind, is the condition of the normal man. Society highly values its normal man. It educates children to lose themselves and to become absurd, and thus to be normal. Normal men have killed perhaps 100,000,000 of their fellow normal men in the last fifty years.

R. D. Laing Quote

Enjoy your insanity

:)

Brian2

Veteran Member

But I think this is good

Thinking outside the box can be a good thing, but of course the box is there for a good reason as long as it does not become our prison.

RestlessSoul

F91733AB-F9CC-4522-A273-42AAA111074F.jpeg

- Jack Kerouac

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

But I think this is good

I don't know. You seem pretty normal to me.

But then again, I've been called crazy.

But crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy. Therefore, I'm not crazy. Isn't that crazy?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

But I think this is good

What is normal anyway? Every human being is unique, just like every other human being

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Thinking one has an ability (or knowledge) which one doesn't truly possess might be crazy, or believing some religious text because it just makes sense to one despite other evidence to the contrary (if one cares to look) might be so too, or simply accepting too much unprocessed information. Who knows unless others point out such to one. :oops:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

But I think this is good

Ahh...

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

But I think this is good

My son has bipolar disorder, and it has been both a curse but also a blessing. As a teen, he tried to commit suicide twice, but now he's 48 years old and owns his own construction company.

There's an old English adage that goes "It's the crazies that have made England great!". So, I remind my son and one of my granddaughters [she also has bipolar disorder and is just starting her graduate research at the University of Michigan on a full-ride scholarship] of this, thus that they should embrace the "drive" while also dealing in a constructive way with the negative effects.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

But I think this is good

I've seen what being 'normal' brings, and I'll take crazy any day, thank you very much.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Crazy doesn't have a distinct meaning, and the word probably should never be used to describe mental problems of any kind. I reserve it for metaphorical use, like it was a crazy party or these were crazy times in our relationship. If we actually mean mental problems, we should use more precise terms like phobia or psychosis or bipolar

A digression: An eccentric and colorful man who lived in my Mexican village until he recently passed away was a retired American attorney known locally as Pedro Loco, or crazy Peter, always with his trusted burro companion, Vino Blanco (white wine). But was he mentally ill? No, just different. His eccentricities didn't harm him, which I think is a minimum requirement for any mental variation to be called mental illness. As you might be able to tell from the painting below, he's become a local icon whose image is as recognizable as Frida's and the lake (Lake Chapala) and mountain (Mt. Garcia) in the background of both of these images:

130686726_3289440181183976_8135350774968476379_n.jpg
upload_2021-5-26_12-27-44.jpeg