• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cowboy Coffee

Bob the Unbeliever

Edit: To skip over the history? Go down to Cowboy Coffee, below in bold.

Okay, I'm a coffee lover. I have me a cuppa either hot or cold (seasonal) every morning at work. I like it strong enough to wake me up, but let me sleep at night.

Really. I had been using drip machines for years, but those are *such* a pain to keep in working order, clean and whatnot.

Plus, none seem to use metal bits that holds the coffee grounds. Plastic is all well and good--except that, being organic, absorbs things. That's fine--except with coffee? What seems to get absorbed is all the stuff in coffee we only want in trace amounts.

But once it builds up in the plastic bits? You get it far beyond trace. Washing does zip, here, as it's the hot water sitting there, during the making of the coffee, that gets deep into the plastic matrix.

Only glass, glazed ceramic and metal are immune to this effect. The "fix"? Throw away a perfectly good coffee maker, to get fresh plastic bits.... a shame.

So, I had switched over to Keurig, and a refillable pod thingy. Makes consistently good coffee, if a bit weaker than I'd like (so I drink more, no problem). Wintertime? My machine makes about 20-24 ounces, about right for me. I dilute it a pinch, with wintertime-cold water, to perfect drinking temperatures: I hate scalding hot water. Warm to hot is perfect. A vacuum thermos keeps it at that until gone.

Come spring? I switch up to cold coffee. I'd simply make it up ahead of time, pop into the fridge, come morning... mmmmm....

Then comes YouTube video on Cowboy Coffee.

The recipe could not be more simple: A metal or glass pot. Bring the water to a near-boil. Dump directly into the pot, coffee grinds. Course is better than fine, for later, but fine will give you a stronger brew. Boil the water-- with the grinds-- for about 2 minutes (once boiling). Careful of the heat, as the grinds can make it boil over, or "bump" (chemistry class-- "bumping" is boiling water creating a gas bubble that pushes all the liquid out of the glassware).

Once done? Pour in about 1 tablespoon to 1/3 of a cup of **cold** water-- this settles the grinds. Really! It seems to... (or maybe the timing of getting the cold water lets it settle?)

I then pour the coffee through a super-fine mesh strainer-- a reusable cone coffee filter in a funnel -- into a glass carafe. Then I clean the boiling pot-- I'm using an old glass pot from a defunct drip machine, over a gas flame. Wash the funnel and filter.

In the glass carafe, I add sugar and cream to taste. Sometimes, dark chocolate, if I'm in the mood.

I reserve a bit, to go into a cylinder mold, which I pop into the freezer. The rest goes into the ice box, for next morning.

Into my freshly cleaned vacuum flask, I unmold the frozen "coffee ice", and pour the rest of the chilled coffee. Delicious! Lasts all morning, and remains ice cold until the last sip. I have fine-tuned the size of the frozen coffee cube, such that there is little or nothing left by the time I drink all the brew. Although, being frozen coffee? It's not hard like ice-- more like a coffee Popsicle. Easy to crunch. :)

Next fall? I plan on making Cowboy Coffee for wintertime too-- I'll likely boil it for 4 minutes, then add cold water to bring down to drinking temperatures. And I'll have to be making that in the morning, rather than the night before.

I like the taste-- smoother than other methods I've used. As strong as you like-- the length of the boil, and the amount of grinds controls this perfectly.

And I love the cleanup-- no hot liquids sit in plastic to impart unwanted flavors. Especially hot coffee grounds-- which seem to be far worse than mere hot prepared coffee!

Anybody know where I can sell a couple of Keurig machines? ;)

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
I like the taste-- smoother than other methods I've used.

I've seen this video! I haven't tried it yet, but a good cup of coffee is worth its weight in gold! I figured that out when I got to Europe and fell in love with coffee there as before I hated coffee. American coffee is too acidic and bitter, even with creamer it doesn't do much to reduce the "bite".

Now I like a dark coffee (with very little creamer or sugar), so it does have some bite. But a good coffee will have the bite that every true coffee enthusiast loves without the heartburn and gas American coffee brings.

So that being said I look forward to trying this cowboy coffee recipe someday though I'll probably modernize it a.bit using an electric stove but maintaining the same techniques in the recipe.

I believe with some Jacob's medium or dark roast from Germany brewed with the cowboy coffee technique might produce the best cup of Joe in the world!

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Your class coffee pot will probably not hold up to direct heat and boiling for long.

I have a stainless steel French press that I use--add the coffee to the pot, boil water in a kettle, pour water over the grounds in the French press, stir, let steep for about 4 minutes, plunge the plunger down, and pour out. You can also use the French press to make cold brewed coffee--let the grounds steep in cold water for 12-24 hours, plunge, and pour. Cold brewed is smooth.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I have a stainless steel French press that I use--add the coffee to the pot, boil water in a kettle, pour water over the grounds in the French press, stir, let steep for about 4 minutes, plunge the plunger down, and pour out.

I think it was you in another post somewhere at some time that convinced me to buy a French press, does make excellent coffee if you have the time, nothing between you and the coffee.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Lol, for a second I thought you were referring to a video from Red Dead Redemption II when you brew your coffee in game.

Sounds like an old fashioned "cuppa" (bush tea.)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
see my thread...My Coffee is Sooooooo Stong

the misspelling stuck

as for cowboy coffee
one thermos of water as a measure
pour into sauce pan
ease the grind unto the surface
slowly bring to boil
reduce heat
when the grind sinks......it's done
about 10minutes

using a tea ball (screen)
pour into thermos

the strength is how much grind you were able to float in the sauce pan

Thief

Rogue Theologian
oh btw.....
whatever coffee is left over
I USE THAT TO START THE NEXT BATCH...!!!!!!

by the end of the week...…
My Coffee is Sooooooo Stong…..!!!!

Bob the Unbeliever

Your class coffee pot will probably not hold up to direct heat and boiling for long.

I have a stainless steel French press that I use--add the coffee to the pot, boil water in a kettle, pour water over the grounds in the French press, stir, let steep for about 4 minutes, plunge the plunger down, and pour out. You can also use the French press to make cold brewed coffee--let the grounds steep in cold water for 12-24 hours, plunge, and pour. Cold brewed is smooth.

I have messed with French Press machines. I like them, but they are messy, and never brew as strong as I like. It's the fact that the water is not constantly boiling, I think, that reduces the strength.

Even worse for "cold brews" -- again, I've tried those too.

Finally, the French Press machine is a righteous pain to get clean. :D

My borosilicate glass pot? Is dirt simple-- a swish with a bristle brush, under running hot water? *boom* Done. No tiny fiddly bits that hold on to the coffee grinds.

Nothing worse than day old coffee grinds that has gone moldy... brings an entirely new level of the meaning of the word "bitter"..... :D

As for the life of my boiling pot? It's made of borosilicate glass pot, and is pretty durable, for boiling. I'm so not worried-- boiling water only goes to 212 degrees (100 cent) A glass casserole dish? Often experiences north of 400 degrees, for extended periods.

Edit: I used "finally" twice.... *sigh*

Bob the Unbeliever

oh btw.....
whatever coffee is left over
I USE THAT TO START THE NEXT BATCH...!!!!!!

by the end of the week...…
My Coffee is Sooooooo Stong…..!!!!

Wait..... what's this mysterious and strange fluid you speak of?

"leftover coffee"...... I have never heard of such a thing in my life!

;)

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

Do you mean one of these,I love coffee made this way,gets me out of zobie mode after two cups.

8-cup-cafateire.jpeg

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
That looks like the one I own. I found it made weak coffee, and was a real pita to clean and keep clean.

I was always using bleach to get rid of coffee residue-- even rinsing with hot water after each use (which I did).

You can cheat by simmering in a non stick pan before putting it in the cafetier,the plunger or presses only job is to take out the coffee grinds

Bob the Unbeliever

You can cheat by simmering in a non stick pan before putting it in the cafetier,the plunger or presses only job is to take out the coffee grinds

Fair enough. I find a gold-mesh filter in a funnel works too, with less fuss.

Maybe I purchased a sub-par French Press, but it looks like all the others I've ever seen.

Plus, a lot of coffee "dust" got by mine, the stainless steel mesh being too course.

Whereas the fine mesh gold filter I use? Stops everything that isn't liquid.

It rinses easily enough, whereas my French Press required high pressure back-wash, and it was too easy to miss crumbs.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I have messed with French Press machines. I like them, but they are messy, and never brew as strong as I like. It's the fact that the water is not constantly boiling, I think, that reduces the strength.

Even worse for "cold brews" -- again, I've tried those too.
You are probably not using enough ground coffee then! ;)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That looks like the one I own. I found it made weak coffee, and was a real pita to clean and keep clean.

I was always using bleach to get rid of coffee residue-- even rinsing with hot water after each use (which I did).
My French press comes apart. That makes it a snap to clean and there is only one bolt and "nut" involved.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Fair enough. I find a gold-mesh filter in a funnel works too, with less fuss.

Maybe I purchased a sub-par French Press, but it looks like all the others I've ever seen.

Plus, a lot of coffee "dust" got by mine, the stainless steel mesh being too course.

Whereas the fine mesh gold filter I use? Stops everything that isn't liquid.

It rinses easily enough, whereas my French Press required high pressure back-wash, and it was too easy to miss crumbs.
Your grind might be too fine. Like Cowboy Coffee, a French press works best with a coarse grind.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Wait..... what's this mysterious and strange fluid you speak of?

"leftover coffee"...... I have never heard of such a thing in my life!

;)
believe it or not....
I have suffered an overdose of coffee

even a shift of color in vision

yeah....it took two pots of coffee as I was involved in a chess game

what was I thinking????!!!!!

so.....I know when to stop
but I don't throw away such fine resources
RECYCLE...!!!

Last edited: