• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covid vaccine. Who took it, who didn't?

have you taken the covid vaccine and trust in it

• yes, I trust it

Votes: 26 68.4%
  • no, I don't trust it

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • undecided

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There is a relatively small proportion of the population who are anti-vaccination. We're focusing on getting everyone we can vaccinated over the coming months. If we can get 90 - 95 % of the population vaccinated, its will be enough to contain the virus.
Good to hear. Sounds like a sensible group mentality there. Sure beats the 70% here on RF. I'm not sure what Canada is at.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I can do what I like with my own body, period, unless the government mandates vaccines.
Why hasn't the government done that yet? Because they know it is not their right to tell people what to do with their bodies, and it is not the right of anyone on this forum to do that either, either directly or indirectly.

I cannot pass it on to others because I don't have it and because I don't come into contact with others.
Why are people telling me I should take this vaccine? I consider this harassment especially after I have made my position clear.
Do you see me telling anyone NOT to get the vaccine? No, anyone who wants the vaccine should get the vaccine.

Trying to make this a moral issue won't work. People who got the vaccine and are out there interacting with other people have a chance of spreading the virus whereas I don't, locked up in my own house. :rolleyes:

Can someone who has been vaccinated for COVID spread the disease?

The vaccine is designed to stop the virus from making you sick. We don’t know yet if the vaccine will stop you from spreading the virus. We should continue to wear masks, social distance, and wash hands after we’ve been vaccinated. (source – Vanderbilt University Medical Center) (1.19.20)

What We Know and What We’re Still Learning
  • We know that COVID-19 vaccines are effective at preventing COVID-19 disease, especially severe illness and death.
    • We’re still learning how effective the vaccines are against variants of the virus that causes COVID-19. Early data show the vaccines may work against some variants but could be less effective against others.
  • We know that other prevention steps help stop the spread of COVID-19, and that these steps are still important, even as vaccines are being distributed.
    • We’re still learning how well COVID-19 vaccines keep people from spreading the disease.
    • Early data show that the vaccines may help keep people from spreading COVID-19, but we are learning more as more people get vaccinated.
  • We’re still learning how long COVID-19 vaccines can protect people.
  • As we know more, CDC will continue to update our recommendations for both vaccinated and unvaccinated people.
Until we know more about those questions, everyone — even people who’ve had their vaccines — should continue taking steps to protect themselves and others when recommended.

Key Points
  • The risks of SARS-CoV-2 infection in fully vaccinated people cannot be completely eliminated as long as there is continued community transmission of the virus. Vaccinated people could potentially still get COVID-19 and spread it to others. However, the benefits of relaxing some measures such as testing and self-quarantine requirements for travelers, post-exposure quarantine requirements and reducing social isolation may outweigh the residual risk of fully vaccinated people becoming ill with COVID-19 or transmitting the virus to others.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Did you know sadly hawaii and new york already have vaccination cards and programs on the way. Florida gov strongly said he wasn't making vaccines mandatory. I'm in VA and the gov hasn't said anything yet.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Did you know sadly hawaii and new york already have vaccination cards and programs on the way. Florida gov strongly said he wasn't making vaccines mandatory. I'm in VA and the gov hasn't said anything yet.
Are you saying that those states are requiring that everyone get the vaccination? How are they going to enforce that? Nobody is going to force me to take a vaccine.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Are you saying that those states are requiring that everyone get the vaccination? How are they going to enforce that? Nobody is going to force me to take a vaccine.

Yeah.

Hawaii Vaccine & Health Passport Information for COVID-19

Excelsior Pass

States Rebuke Vaccine Passports – Truth Comes to Light

I don't know if other states have these yet. I think they're going to make it a state decision... I'm guessing.

Added

New York's vaccine pass will facilitate entry to concerts and events
Each pass will have a secure QR code, which participating businesses and venues can scan using a companion app to verify proof of COVID-19 negative test results or proof of vaccination. As part of its initial launch, Excelsior Pass can be used by participating New Yorkers at theaters, major stadiums and arenas, wedding receptions and catered events, including Madison Square Garden and the Times Union Center. Beginning 2 April, Excelsior Pass will expand to smaller arts, entertainment and event venues.

"The innovative Excelsior Pass is another tool in our new toolbox to fight the virus while allowing more sectors of the economy to reopen safely and keeping personal information secure," says Governor Andrew Cuomo. "The question of 'public health or the economy' has always been a false choice — the answer must be both. As more New Yorkers get vaccinated each day and as key public health metrics continue to regularly reach their lowest rates in months, the first-in-the-nation Excelsior Pass heralds the next step in our thoughtful, science-based reopening."

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It's a patriotic duty to one's country (and planet) to take the vaccine to protect one's neighbor, just as it is one's duty to go to war to protect them if needed, whatever the risk to himself. Imagine a potential recruit or draftee taking the position that, "It's my body and I'll decide what's best for it. Your fears don't trump mine. Mine trump yours"
That analogy won't fly because not everyone gets drafted into the army unless it is during wartime, and even if they are drafted they can request noncombatant status based upon religious beliefs. What you are saying is that it is a moral duty for everyone to get the vaccine regardless of their personal circumstances.

It is nobody's duty to take the vaccine unless they know they will be in close contact with other people, like Adrian who is a physician. It is everyone's own business whether they take it or not. Trying to say that those who take it are protecting their neighbor won't fly unless they are in contact with their neighbor and it still won't fly because they could still infect their neighbor after being vaccinated.

Trying to make this a moral issue won't work. People who got the vaccine and are out there interacting with other people have a chance of spreading the virus whereas I don't, locked up in my own house.

Can someone who has been vaccinated for COVID spread the disease?

The vaccine is designed to stop the virus from making you sick. We don’t know yet if the vaccine will stop you from spreading the virus. We should continue to wear masks, social distance, and wash hands after we’ve been vaccinated. (source – Vanderbilt University Medical Center) (1.19.20)

What We Know and What We’re Still Learning

We’re still learning how well COVID-19 vaccines keep people from spreading the disease.

Early data show that the vaccines may help keep people from spreading COVID-19, but we are learning more as more people get vaccinated.

Until we know more about those questions, everyone — even people who’ve had their vaccines — should continue taking steps to protect themselves and others when recommended.

Key Points

The risks of SARS-CoV-2 infection in fully vaccinated people cannot be completely eliminated as long as there is continued community transmission of the virus. Vaccinated people could potentially still get COVID-19 and spread it to others.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Just how is a vaccine refuser different from a draft dodger making a decision to protect himself when those around him need him to take a risk for them?
Just how are those who are taking the vaccine doing that for other people? If the shoe was on the other foot and people were asked to do something that that they did not want to do, something that provided no benefit to themselves, in order to help others, you would find out how quickly they would rebel and refuse. Many people would not even wear masks knowing that would protect others and themselves. Let's get real. People are not taking the vaccine to help others, they are taking it to help themselves, because they are afraid of getting sick and dying.

Please explain how those around me need me to take the risk for them. How is my taking the vaccine going to help anyone else given I don't even come into contact with anyone else? If you are referring to herd immunity, it is not necessary for everyone to get the vaccine in order to accomplish herd immunity. Given how frightened most people are of dying, most people will get the vaccine as soon as they can. However, there is more than one reason why scientists are now saying that herd immunity is out of reach.

Long-term prospects for the pandemic probably include COVID-19 becoming an endemic disease, much like influenza. But in the near term, scientists are contemplating a new normal that does not include herd immunity. Here are some of the reasons behind this mindset, and what they mean for the next year of the pandemic.

Read more:
Five reasons why COVID herd immunity is probably impossible

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I can't say anything about unknown effects because, well, because there haven't been any (over close to 400 million tests).
That's right. But most people who rush to get the vaccine don't think about the unknown effects because they are so afraid of getting sick or possibly dying, that is all they can think about. That is kind of like buying a house and trying to figure out how you will pay for it later. How is that logical?
As to "reprogramming your cells," no that's not what happens. Your cells are already "programmed" to generate proteins to counter any new and unrecognized antigen that they encounter. So the vaccine provides a bit of such an antigen (enough for your cells to recognize but not sicken you), so that if you encounter the virus, your body will be ready to fight it off. Easy-peasy!
There is more to it than that. I don't think you know the whole story. You are messing with your natural programming by adding a foreign substance into your body. Imo, this is even worse than drugs that eventually leave the system.
And if you never, ever encounter anybody who has ever met anybody else outside your family group, you may be right not to worry -- but I've never known anybody like that, except those held in solitary confinement in prison.
I do not call going to the grocery store twice a week at the close of business when there are about three people in the store with my mask on where everyone else has a mask on and everyone is socially distant encountering anybody.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I do not call going to the grocery store twice a week at the close of business when there are about three people in the store with my mask on where everyone else has a mask on and everyone is socially distant encountering anybody.

People touch stuff all day long. You don't see what they touched. (This is why I go first thing in the morning.)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yeah.

Excelsior Pass

I don't know if other states have these yet. I think they're going to make it a state decision... I'm guessing.

Added

Each pass will have a secure QR code, which participating businesses and venues can scan using a companion app to verify proof of COVID-19 negative test results or proof of vaccination. As part of its initial launch, Excelsior Pass can be used by participating New Yorkers at theaters, major stadiums and arenas, wedding receptions and catered events, including Madison Square Garden and the Times Union Center. Beginning 2 April, Excelsior Pass will expand to smaller arts, entertainment and event venues.

"The innovative Excelsior Pass is another tool in our new toolbox to fight the virus while allowing more sectors of the economy to reopen safely and keeping personal information secure," says Governor Andrew Cuomo. "The question of 'public health or the economy' has always been a false choice — the answer must be both. As more New Yorkers get vaccinated each day and as key public health metrics continue to regularly reach their lowest rates in months, the first-in-the-nation Excelsior Pass heralds the next step in our thoughtful, science-based reopening."
I don't care about any of those activities so I don't need a pass.
Yeah. We'll see how well that goes when people start reengaging in social activities with large groups of people. ;)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
People touch stuff all day long. You don't see what they touched. (This is why I go first thing in the morning.)
I don't live in that kind of fear and I cannot even imagine what it would be like.

It is probably wiser for the unvaccinated to go first thing but if you are fully vaccinated why worry? ;)

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

I thought this comment was funny:

Georgia Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene went a step further invoking the Book of Revelations:
They are actually talking about people’s ability to buy and sell linked to the vaccine passport.

They might as well call it Biden’s Mark of the Beast.

— Marjorie Taylor Greene (@mtgreenee) March 29, 2021

Congresswoman Greene authored the The We Will Not Comply Act in an effort to ban the implementation of vaccine passports.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
There is more to it than that. I don't think you know the whole story. You are messing with your natural programming by adding a foreign substance into your body. Imo, this is even worse than drugs that eventually leave the system.
Um, just out of curiosity, are you aware that when a virus gets into your body through your nose, your mouth, your eye or whatever --- it is "adding a foreign substance into your body?"

That can, and does, cause great sickness and death in some people.

Sheesh!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Um, just out of curiosity, are you aware that when a virus gets into your body through your nose, your mouth, your eye or whatever --- it is "adding a foreign substance into your body?"

That can, and does, cause great sickness and death in some people.

Sheesh!
That is not a fair comparison because one is not "adding" the virus, the virus is entering without permission.
One cannot control the virus entering their body but they can control what they put into their body.

I do not worry about what might happen merely because it happened to "some people."
That is just not how I think. I think about the chances of it happening to me and act accordingly.
If I worry, I worry about what is likely to happen to me based upon what I know and I try to mitigate it.
Like I know one tenant is probably not going to pay the huge rent debt so I am planning a course of action.

We Never Know

No Slack
Yeah.

Excelsior Pass

Added

Walmart to the rescue....:rolleyes:

Walmart becomes largest U.S. vaccine provider to join push for digital vaccination credentials

RestlessSoul

It's a patriotic duty to one's country (and planet) to take the vaccine to protect one's neighbor, just as it is one's duty to go to war to protect them if needed, whatever the risk to himself. Imagine a potential recruit or draftee taking the position that, "It's my body and I'll decide what's best for it. Your fears don't trump mine. Mine trump yours"

Just how is a vaccine refuser different from a draft dodger making a decision to protect himself when those around him need him to take a risk for them?

It’s not my duty, patriotic or otherwise, to go to war for my country. My country’s working class have been going to war to protect the interests of the ruling classes since 1066, and still the same handful of families own almost all the wealth (much of it squirrelled away overseas to avoid paying tax).

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
I have not chosen anything, I just like to look at all the information before making a choice, not just one side.

Since you are not qualified to assess the information yourself (as you've admitted) why are you including views that run totally contrary to the overwhelming consensus of the people who are qualified to do so?

Are you going to make such an important choice based on how good various wingnuts mavericks are at propaganda persuasion?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I hope whatever is done will help people get back to work so the economy recovers because people have to live and have their basic needs met. However, people do not need all the things they "believe" they need, they just want them. I have no interest in returning to what is considered "normal" by most people as I believe that this world and the way people are/were living needs a complete overhaul.

I think it is going to be a very long time. People "believe" that the vaccines are a panacea, but I don't think that is what will prove to be the case. Why, in spite of the fact that so many people have been fully vaccinated in the United States are cases going up? Time will tell.
People just being sensible, doing what is required of them so as not to spread the virus, including being vaccinated and such, is not a universal commodity it seems - witness the protest movements that probably cause upsurges in the virus or where many just think the rules are for 'others'. Tends to happen more in the more right-wing societies, such as the USA, especially when you are still recovering from the Trump era. :eek:

I think if we looked at the likelihood of believing conspiracy theories we might find a correlation too between such individuals.

Last edited: