• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covid and the environment

Riders

Does the fact that our environment is dying off and we are in an environmental disaster, has it had a role in Covid being created and or staying around this long?

InChrist

Free4ever
Does the fact that our environment is dying off and we are in an environmental disaster, has it had a role in Covid being created and or staying around this long?
I don’t know the answer to your questions. It does seem like discarded face masks and other medical waste is negatively impacting the environment and wildlife, though.

“Recent studies are calling the millions of coronavirus face masks people throw away a ticking plastic bomb. Unfortunately, a new report from the Netherlands finds that bomb has already gone off when it comes to wildlife. A team of biologists is revealing the damage disposable COVID safety gear is having on the world’s animal population.”

COVID waste, discarded face masks are killing wildlife around the globe

“If you walk around any street now you will see disposable face masks being blown around with leaves in the gutter – they are the new cigarette butt – people are chucking them after use,” she said.

“We know that 53m are being sent to landfill each day – but just how many end up elsewhere is the very scary part.”

She said masks were being found in streams, rivers, and oceans – similar to single-use plastic bottles.“

53m discarded Covid face masks in UK 'could be polluting the sea'

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I don’t know the answer to your questions. It does seem like discarded face masks and other medical waste is negatively impacting the environment and wildlife, though.

“Recent studies are calling the millions of coronavirus face masks people throw away a ticking plastic bomb. Unfortunately, a new report from the Netherlands finds that bomb has already gone off when it comes to wildlife. A team of biologists is revealing the damage disposable COVID safety gear is having on the world’s animal population.”

COVID waste, discarded face masks are killing wildlife around the globe

“If you walk around any street now you will see disposable face masks being blown around with leaves in the gutter – they are the new cigarette butt – people are chucking them after use,” she said.

“We know that 53m are being sent to landfill each day – but just how many end up elsewhere is the very scary part.”

She said masks were being found in streams, rivers, and oceans – similar to single-use plastic bottles.“

53m discarded Covid face masks in UK 'could be polluting the sea'
I was literally just going to mention all the mask waste in the environment. Discarded masks litter the ground all over the place here. Even at work, people leave their dirty masks all over the place for others to throw out.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm not that pessimistic on the environment. It's doing better than you think.

Urban areas are of course the exception. People are piggish slobs in general.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I was literally just going to mention all the mask waste in the environment. Discarded masks litter the ground all over the place here. Even at work, people leave their dirty masks all over the place for others to throw out.

When I was in the army, sometimes I'd be among the conscripts assigned to clean the unit of litter. We'd almost always find used masks on the ground and need to handle them carefully due to the possibility that they could be contaminated--not to mention the general grossness.

People need to realize that sanitary waste is for them to dispose of properly, not for others to deal with because someone can't be bothered to clean up after themselves.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Climate change has contributed to several waves of climate refugees, concentrated refugee camps and crowding into cities. Social distancing and masking is not a priority. Covid spreads.