• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

COVID-19 -- The US is falling behind the rest of the world

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't volunteer to die for your sake.

We need to hold the line as treatments are developed and become available as they're doing. We need to hold the line until there is an effective vaccine available which is coming soon (even if it's only good for one year, that's good enough). We need to hold the line to not overwhelm hospitals and medical professionals and we're doing that in most places.

There's a middle ground between total lock down and bodies in the street. If we had stayed locked down another week or so and had opened more slowly, we'd be in much MUCH better shape today.

If the expletive idiots who refuse to wear masks and distance would do what's needed, we could open much faster. Their selfishness is prolonging the agony.
There's no cure.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There's no cure.
Today.

The death rate is going down as treatments improve. Long term immunity might or might not happen, but antibody treatment looks very promising. Vaccine trials are starting to enter phase 3. We now have a second drug that is being used and which helps. Managing sick patients so they don't need to be on ventilators is improving.

To say we won't have an effective treatment is to give up just as we're starting to win.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
View attachment 40868

Coronavirus (COVID-19) tracker, latest cases in Canada

Canada has a death rate of 8%

So it appears that it is Canada that is falling behind on its ability to control the contagion.

Canada, please tell us why and what are you doing to limit this problem?
Numbers for June 20 in Canada:
390 new cases
54 deaths

And we have an R rate of less than one, meaning infections are going down.

In the US that same day:
31,951 new cases
550 deaths
And an R rate of 1.2

You wish you were Canada.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
To say we won't have an effective treatment is to give up just as we're starting to win.
The RW needs us all to just give up, give in, and rush in for the slaughter. Then they can pass the blame around when things get worse instead of accepting the blame. And now they really need things to get distorted more than ever because we are nearing treatments, cures, and vaccines, so they are fewer around to say "wow, sensible leadership and doing what has hard paid off.....good thing we didn't foolishly sacrifice our lives for Mammon. We should vote Dem because they didn't want us to die."

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
390 new cases
54 deaths

In the US that same day:
31,951 new cases
550 deaths
And an R rate of 1.2

We don't even report numbers on the weekends.
Yes, I do wish this was Canada. The Queen needs to reclaim this land of savages and install civility and proper manners and behaviors upon these godless heathens. Ya know, just like old times.:p

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
390 new cases
54 deaths

In the US that same day:
31,951 new cases
550 deaths
And an R rate of 1.2

Single day vs totals is more realistic. :) So, I'll stay in the US. Herd immunity is long term solution along with immunization.

Last edited:

Wandering Monk

Single day vs totals is more realistic. :) So, I'll stay in the US. Herd immunity is long term solution along with immunization.

Have you ever thought about the consequences of letting it rip until herd immunity? It isn't achieved until about 70% of the population has been exposed; even then there is overshoot sometimes up to 90%.

So at least 230 million Americans would need to be exposed to achieve it. Now, if Covid is really no worse than the flu in terms of mortality, ponder this: the mortality rate of the worst flu in 20 year (2017-2018) was about 0.16%. Let's apply that to our 231 million exposed. That is 368,000 Americans who would die from Covid. The flu I mentioned killed about 70,000 Americans.

Kenny

Premium Member
Have you ever thought about the consequences of letting it rip until herd immunity? It isn't achieved until about 70% of the population has been exposed; even then there is overshoot sometimes up to 90%.

Certainly. I don't think we have that type of mentality though.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I don’t think people really understand what herd immunity really is and what it means. Before you reach heard immunity a lot more people have to die. Of all the various strategies for dealing with a pandemic you are saying you prefer the one with the highest possible number of dead.

Kenny

Premium Member
I don’t think people really understand what herd immunity really is and what it means. Before you reach heard immunity a lot more people have to die. Of all the various strategies for dealing with a pandemic you are saying you prefer the one with the highest possible number of dead.
Apparently Canada is doing better at killing the highest numbers percentage wise.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Apparently Canada is doing better at killing the highest numbers percentage wise.
Canada has a population of 37.59 million. 8430 people have died so far from COVID. This is not good. I am not holding Canada up as the perfect example. We could and should have done better.

But do the math and it comes out to 0.022%

And more to the point the rate is declining and has been consistently declining for weeks.

In the U.S. the population is 328.2 million and 122,000 people have died from COVID.

That is 0.037%.

But again the real point is that the rate in the US is increasing. What will it be next month? Or the month after that?

Wandering Monk

Oh, really?

upload_2020-6-22_19-37-39.png

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
What rate? Deaths or infections?

The trend is still down for deaths.

View attachment 40897
I was referring to infections with that comment.

But something to keep in mind is the time lag between infection and death. The people who will die from this will die a week or two after being infected. If the infection rate is going up today, watch for that to be reflected in the death rate two weeks from now.