• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

COVID-19 -- The US is falling behind the rest of the world

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Ea4f4UBWAAEEvMI.jpg
The graph shows everything you need to understand that the Trump Administration is being untruthful about how well the US is doing.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
View attachment 40858 The graph shows everything you need to understand that the Trump Administration is being untruthful about how well the US is doing.
Yes, we are doing poorly, because many people were convinced by example and rhetoric that masks are not important. But as recent research results have shown now repeatedly -- masks really help prevent much of the spread.

There are nations that are doing even worse (in ratio to their population), such as Brazil (which is seriously under reporting their cases and deaths, but currently is worst nonetheless in deaths per day). Brazil is doing even worse than us in part due to their political leader showing even worse attitudes, replicating Trump at his worst. Example matters, because many will follow example.

The most profound failure now, today, is that too many Americans don't realize how beneficial it is to save lives (of others usually) by wearing masks.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Some states are doing worse than others. Even where I live in deep blue CA, the picture is not looking good. I thought the county I live in, Contra Costa, was way way better but even here we're going south but not as fast as some other places. I read that Florida had a 73% increase since last Sunday.

But then I read today that Germany is starting to have a flare-up as well.

Even China which is utterly authoritarian and backs up orders with real threats can't seem to stamp out the virus.

So yes, we're in almost the worst shape but even if we did the best job, we'd still be in the soup.

Wandering Monk

The individual states are screwing up the case count. Texas and Florida have reported both PCR and antibody tests TOGETHER. The former is for current infections, the latter is for past infections.

Knowing this, the only useful metrics seems to be hospitalizations or deaths.

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Here are daily Covid deaths in the US:

View attachment 40864
Yes, an interesting graph. However, it omits something important in the graph that I presented, which is that while the infection rate stubbornly refuses to drop, one can only assume that the death rate will likewise do so. Granted this is trying to see into the future, but the evidence, in this case, supports that sort of bleak view.

Wandering Monk

Yes, an interesting graph. However, it omits something important in the graph that I presented, which is that while the infection rate stubbornly refuses to drop, one can only assume that the death rate will likewise do so. Granted this is trying to see into the future, but the evidence, in this case, supports that sort of bleak view.

I haven't found a site that gives data on US hospitalizations, try as I may.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
total total total
states new tests positive negative deaths.
Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 6.17.40 PM.png

so. death rate of those contracting covid 5%

This has a margin of error - should be less because I have friends who found out they have antibodies. So many have had it but didn't know it was Covid.

EDIT - it doesn't post like I see it.

56 States and protectorates
new tests 2269445
Postitive 24815445
total deaths 113749

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Wandering Monk

Here are Long Term Care and Assisted Living deaths in my state as a percentage of total death on a daily basis. Numbers above 100% are from delayed reporting, if I had to guess.
upload_2020-6-21_17-44-41.png

Wandering Monk

Holy Cow! Just looking at the US Federal Dataset for resident deaths in nursing homes. This does not include long term care facilities.

In the US there have been, as of June 18, there have been 78,182 cumulative resident deaths in nursing homes across the nations. On June 18 that represented 66% of cumulative US deaths tracked by the University of Virginia Biocomplexity Institute.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Holy Cow! Just looking at the US Federal Dataset for resident deaths in nursing homes. This does not include long term care facilities.

In the US there have been, as of June 18, there have been 78,182 cumulative resident deaths in nursing homes across the nations. On June 18 that represented 66% of cumulative US deaths tracked by the University of Virginia Biocomplexity Institute.
Interesting, is it not, that a lot of young, insouciant people -- who will take a social risk, maybe have a fever, a cough, a little time in hospital -- and then visit their highly at-risk elders, and condemn them to death.

That is the thing that too many people are not thinking about. Sure, they're old and will die eventually anyway -- but is that any reason to speed the process up? Maybe it is, I suppose -- if you are selfish enough.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
At what? Protracting the misery?

I think suffocating your state out of existence and quarantining your people into a bubble isn't exactly coming out ahead on the other side of the coin.
I don't volunteer to die for your sake.

We need to hold the line as treatments are developed and become available as they're doing. We need to hold the line until there is an effective vaccine available which is coming soon (even if it's only good for one year, that's good enough). We need to hold the line to not overwhelm hospitals and medical professionals and we're doing that in most places.

There's a middle ground between total lock down and bodies in the street. If we had stayed locked down another week or so and had opened more slowly, we'd be in much MUCH better shape today.

If the expletive idiots who refuse to wear masks and distance would do what's needed, we could open much faster. Their selfishness is prolonging the agony.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
So yes, we're in almost the worst shape but even if we did the best job, we'd still be in the soup.
We just don't want to take the drastic measures need to get out of this. The boarders should have been shut tight early on, testing and isolating a national imperative, and, of course, we'd need competent and empathetic leadership that isn't a malignant tumor in human form.
It's not a hopeless or powerless situation. Rather people's over-inflated sense of entitlement, combined with Trump's claims of hoaxes and little flus and it would be taken care of early on has made any sort of response that is better than shameful impossible.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Funny, that OP graph -- showing the US as the outlier it always seems to want to be.

Even if it is to its own detriment.

I wonder if, as the world grows smaller and smaller, there might be a better way...:!?: