• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

COVID-19: God's Punishment for Homosexuality?

Spartan

You backed yourself into a corner and don't even realize it.

Counting the hits and ignoring the misses is just as bad as your accusation of counting the misses and ignoring the hits.

Of course, you are here trying to justify the misses...

"...his righteous judgments... "​

The misses are yours (counting the righteous judgments as misses).

epronovost

And for the liberal-minded, who approve of the mass extermination of the innocent unborn, to call God wicked and evil, is highly hypocritical.

Your God and you also approve of this practice since your deity itself has massacred it's fair share of unborn, newborn, toddlers, etc. and mosaic law doesn't consider the death of embryos as murder. Injuring a pregnant woman that result in a miscarriage isn't considered murder, but a simple crime of assault that is repaid by a fine. At worst, elective abortion would be seen as a form of self-mutilation in mosaic law and not necessarily illegal since self-mutilation isn't considered a crime in most instence (with the notable exception of tattoos).

We are talking about the deity who sent two bears to murder over 40 children who laughed at a dude's bald head and promised it would bathe the world in human blood as it makes its return on Earth. Let's face, you aren't venerating a gentle and tender deity. You might want to look up Hestia/Vesta if that's what you thought you were venerating.

QuestioningMind

God doesn't live by your "anything goes" mindset. There's not a nation in the Old Testament who suffered God's Judgment whose sins are unknown or non-existent. And for the liberal-minded, who approve of the mass extermination of the innocent unborn, to call God wicked and evil, is highly hypocritical.

God doesn't live by your "anything goes" mindset.

Surely you have that backwards. It's me who doesn't live by god's 'anything I do is moral, regardless of how wicked and repugnant it is' mindset.

You REALLY need to stop and think about what you're defending. You are defending drowning innocent children, EVEN the innocent unborn, since surely some of the women who were drowned during the flood were pregnant. You are defending punishing people for crimes they didn't commit. The fact that you can defend such atrocities suggests that it's YOU who has this 'anything goes mindset'... just as long as it's your god who performs the disgusting acts.

You sound like a Trump supporter who claims that the president is above the law so it's impossible for him to commit a crime, regardless of what he does.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
The misses are yours (counting the righteous judgments as misses).
Ah
So you are either ignorant of the fallacy or are simply ignoring it.
Neither of which is conducive of an meaningful discussion.

Now since you just revealed you are not interested in an honest discussion of the topic....

Good-Ole-Rebel

It's what you believe. Some Christians believe god will go easy on me since my overall experience in his church left me suicidal, and he will instead punish those who mistreated me and drove me away.

Yes it is.

I don't know what you call 'Christians'

And besides, your overall experience could just be a myth as far as I know...remember?

Good-Ole-Rebel

Spartan

God doesn't live by your "anything goes" mindset.

Surely you have that backwards. It's me who doesn't live by god's 'anything I do is moral, regardless of how wicked and repugnant it is' mindset.

You REALLY need to stop and think about what you're defending. You are defending drowning innocent children, EVEN the innocent unborn, since surely some of the women who were drowned during the flood were pregnant. You are defending punishing people for crimes they didn't commit. The fact that you can defend such atrocities suggests that it's YOU who has this 'anything goes mindset'... just as long as it's your god who performs the disgusting acts.

You sound like a Trump supporter who claims that the president is above the law so it's impossible for him to commit a crime, regardless of what he does.

Baloney. You sound like the liberal left pining for criminal illegal aliens while trying to justify the wholesale slaughter of the innocent unborn.

As for the flood, the scriptures record: “..the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually” (Genesis 6:5
and it grieved God “to his heart” (Genesis 6:6) So God sent the floodwaters as a judgment, a block in the way of humanity’s wickedness (Genesis 6:5-6).

Just like liberals do when releasing hardened criminals from jail and creating sanctuary cities for murderers, Questioning mind would allow evil to continue throughout the world indefinitely without judgment. Bravo!

In the end, God's Judgment SAVES LIVES.

How many people would 100 evil men kill in their lifetimes? Let's say a thousand, and the 100 evil men wind up in hell when they die. Now, let's let those 100 evil men have 100 offspring that over time grow up to kill an additional 1,000 people. Now, you have 200 evil men in hell and 2,000 murdered others.

Now let's take it to the 10th or so generation. By now, you have 10,000 evil men giving birth to 10,000 offspring and together those 20,000 evil men and/or women murder 200,000 people total. So, you now have 20,000 evil men in hell (vs. 100 if you had judged and executed them earlier), plus 200,000 other dead people.

So God, being smarter than his spiritually-challenged critics, and able to see consequences further out in time than the mathematically-challenged "God is evil" crowd, saves 19,900 people from going to hell plus he saves 199,000 others from getting murdered. And he does that by stopping the bloodshed before it gets worse.

Get the picture? God Judgment saves lives, and saves multitudes from winding up in Hell.

Plus, the innocent babies and children wind up in Heaven.

You lose.

Last edited:

Spartan

Your God and you also approve of this practice since your deity itself has massacred it's fair share of unborn, newborn, toddlers, etc. and mosaic law doesn't consider the death of embryos as murder. Injuring a pregnant woman that result in a miscarriage isn't considered murder, but a simple crime of assault that is repaid by a fine. At worst, elective abortion would be seen as a form of self-mutilation in mosaic law and not necessarily illegal since self-mutilation isn't considered a crime in most instence (with the notable exception of tattoos).

We are talking about the deity who sent two bears to murder over 40 children who laughed at a dude's bald head and promised it would bathe the world in human blood as it makes its return on Earth. Let's face, you aren't venerating a gentle and tender deity. You might want to look up Hestia/Vesta if that's what you thought you were venerating.

Educating epronovost -

You should study that passage in greater depth. For your edification:

Why would God send a bear to maul children? - The Christian Index

Also, this: COVID-19: God's Punishment for Homosexuality?

epronovost

Educating Spartan

Childhood in Ancient Hebrew represent men before their 13th birthday since at 13 is the age of majority according to the eldest tradition in the Talmud were a boy becomes a man, can paticipate fully in the religious life and is expected to follow the law like an adult or face adult punishment . At best, you could say prior to 20 since this was the minimal age for military services. Levi, age 13 to 15, is referred to as man in Exodus.

Second, and I can't believe I have to say this, you do not send bears to kill children unless they are trying to kill you and it's the only possible way for you to get out of there alive.

Your argument is completely ridiculous if only because it doesn't respect basic mathematics. If every man, woman or child on Earth grows up to become a mass murderer as you imply, there would be no human left on the planet in a matter of days. Your deity wouldn't need a flood to kill all wicked people in such circumstances. He could simply wisk away his favored people and let all the other kill each others until no one was left alive.

PS: If you want to educate at least link something more scholary than an amateur theology blog and news site. Your article doesn't even link to academic sources in history or religious study to defend its position.

Last edited:

QuestioningMind

Baloney. You sound like the liberal left pining for criminal illegal aliens while trying to justify the wholesale slaughter of the innocent unborn.

As for the flood, the scriptures record: “..the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually” (Genesis 6:5
and it grieved God “to his heart” (Genesis 6:6) So God sent the floodwaters as a judgment, a block in the way of humanity’s wickedness (Genesis 6:5-6).

Just like liberals do when releasing hardened criminals from jail and creating sanctuary cities for murderers, Questioning mind would allow evil to continue throughout the world indefinitely without judgment. Bravo!

In the end, God's Judgment SAVES LIVES.

How many people would 100 evil men kill in their lifetimes? Let's say a thousand, and the 100 evil men wind up in hell when they die. Now, let's let those 100 evil men have 100 offspring that over time grow up to kill an additional 1,000 people. Now, you have 200 evil men in hell and 2,000 murdered others.

Now let's take it to the 10th or so generation. By now, you have 10,000 evil men giving birth to 10,000 offspring and together those 20,000 evil men and/or women murder 200,000 people total. So, you now have 20,000 evil men in hell (vs. 100 if you had judged and executed them earlier), plus 200,000 other dead people.

So God, being smarter than his spiritually-challenged critics, and able to see consequences further out in time than the mathematically-challenged "God is evil" crowd, saves 19,900 people from going to hell plus he saves 199,000 others from getting murdered. And he does that by stopping the bloodshed before it gets worse.

Get the picture? God Judgment saves lives, and saves multitudes from winding up in Hell.

You lose.

There you go again... another long-winded defense of drowning innocent children.

The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually

Sorry, but there's no way that you can get me to believe that every intention and thought in the heart of a newborn infant is only evil continually. And you DEFINITELY can't get me to agree that the same is the case for an unborn child still in the womb. How twisted is your morality that you can actually claim that a newborn infant has nothing but evil intentions in its heart? If you can talk yourself into believing that there isn't ANY atrocity that you won't be able to justify.

How many people would 100 evil men kill in their lifetimes?

I am ALL for god punishing evil men! If god wants to give all evil men a heart attack in their sleep tonight, I'm all for it!! What I CANNOT abide by is is god decides to kill all of the evil men and then ALSO decides to kill all of the evil men's innocent children in their sleep as well. Even fallible human beings don't execute the children of a couple found to have committed evil acts. WE know that the moral thing to do is to TAKE RESPONSIBLY for raising the children ourselves. It's disgusting that your god does NOT understand this and that YOU give him a free pass for it.

Well at LEAST you admit that there WERE innocent children and babies! However, the 'they were sent to heaven' argument is probably one of the most reprehensible arguments I've ever heard. Ever hear of the Spanish Inquisition? That's when a bunch of god fearing Christians decided that they were doing 'god's work' by torturing nonbelievers to death. They justified it by using the exact same claim that you just made. IF they could torture the nonbelievers to the point where they accepted Christ, THEN when they were killed their souls would go to heaven! Praised be the Lord!
This means you can justify killing ANYONE, just as long as they go to heaven after they die, because you'll be doing them a FAVOR!

Innocent children and babies were drowned because of their parents wicked acts? NO PROBLEM! The children and babies WENT TO HEAVEN! People were brutally tortured to death for having the wrong beliefs? NO PROBLEM! Hopefully they accepted Christ in the end and WENT TO HEAVEN!

That's the problem when you argue that immoral acts are actually okay, as long as the immoral acts are being performed by your god.

Spartan

Educating Spartan

Childhood in Ancient Hebrew represent men before their 13th birthday since at 13 is the age of majority according to the eldest tradition in the Talmud were a boy becomes a man, can paticipate fully in the religious life and is expected to follow the law like an adult or face adult punishment . At best, you could say prior to 20 since this was the minimal age for military services. Levi, age 13 to 15, is referred to as man in Exodus.

Second, and I can't believe I have to say this, you do not send bears to kill children unless they are trying to kill you and it's the only possible way for you to get out of there alive.

You still need a lot of help with your exegesis of that passage.

"The word Hebrew translated here as "children" (na'ar) often means official or servant and doesn't necessarily even refer to age at all. Mephibosheth's servant Ziba is referred to as na'ar (2 Samuel 16:1), yet he has fifteen sons. The man that Boaz has positioned as boss over his fieldworkers is na'ar—not a position one grants to children (Ruth 2:5-6). The word na'ar is translated as "servant" over fifty times (roughly a fifth of the times it appears in Scripture)." - Blue Letter Commentary

And now a Bible lesson for you: Don't screw with baldy!

Your argument is completely ridiculous if only because it doesn't respect basic mathematics. If every man, woman or child on Earth grows up to become a mass murderer as you imply, there would be no human left on the planet in a matter of days. Your deity wouldn't need a flood to kill all wicked people in such circumstances. He could simply wisk away his favored people and let all the other kill each others until no one was left alive.

PS: If you want to educate at least link something more scholary than an amateur theology blog and news site. Your article doesn't even link to academic sources in history or religious study to defend its position.

You're another one out in left field. What does the scripture say again? "The LORD saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time." - Genesis 6:5

Here's some more enlightenment for you:

"The process of secularization, combined with moral relativism, when its done its work, will ultimately destroy a sense of shame in a culture. Secularization has a deadly effect when it is uninformed by a transcendent moral order" (i.e. God). - Ravi Zacharias

Glad to help you out.

Spartan

There you go again... another long-winded defense of drowning innocent children.

The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually

Sorry, but there's no way that you can get me to believe that every intention and thought in the heart of a newborn infant is only evil continually. And you DEFINITELY can't get me to agree that the same is the case for an unborn child still in the womb. How twisted is your morality that you can actually claim that a newborn infant has nothing but evil intentions in its heart? If you can talk yourself into believing that there isn't ANY atrocity that you won't be able to justify.

How many people would 100 evil men kill in their lifetimes?

I am ALL for god punishing evil men! If god wants to give all evil men a heart attack in their sleep tonight, I'm all for it!! What I CANNOT abide by is is god decides to kill all of the evil men and then ALSO decides to kill all of the evil men's innocent children in their sleep as well. Even fallible human beings don't execute the children of a couple found to have committed evil acts. WE know that the moral thing to do is to TAKE RESPONSIBLY for raising the children ourselves. It's disgusting that your god does NOT understand this and that YOU give him a free pass for it.

Well at LEAST you admit that there WERE innocent children and babies! However, the 'they were sent to heaven' argument is probably one of the most reprehensible arguments I've ever heard. Ever hear of the Spanish Inquisition? That's when a bunch of god fearing Christians decided that they were doing 'god's work' by torturing nonbelievers to death. They justified it by using the exact same claim that you just made. IF they could torture the nonbelievers to the point where they accepted Christ, THEN when they were killed their souls would go to heaven! Praised be the Lord!
This means you can justify killing ANYONE, just as long as they go to heaven after they die, because you'll be doing them a FAVOR!

Innocent children and babies were drowned because of their parents wicked acts? NO PROBLEM! The children and babies WENT TO HEAVEN! People were brutally tortured to death for having the wrong beliefs? NO PROBLEM! Hopefully they accepted Christ in the end and WENT TO HEAVEN!

That's the problem when you argue that immoral acts are actually okay, as long as the immoral acts are being performed by your god.

Nice try but no cigar. I stand by what I previously presented.

epronovost

"The word Hebrew translated here as "children" (na'ar) often means official or servant and doesn't necessarily even refer to age at all. Mephibosheth's servant Ziba is referred to as na'ar (2 Samuel 16:1), yet he has fifteen sons. The man that Boaz has positioned as boss over his fieldworkers is na'ar—not a position one grants to children (Ruth 2:5-6). The word na'ar is translated as "servant" over fifty times (roughly a fifth of the times it appears in Scripture)." - Blue Letter Commentary

So were they servants or were they children bellow the age of 13 and in what does it make the massacres of these people something reasonnable and not completely unhinged? Why would you link to an article you believe doesn't make sense.

PS: The idea that to female black bears, smaller than male bear, (the kind that live in the region) could kill 42 adults strains credulity even 42 children seems a lot, but if some were no older than five or 6 years old they wouldn't have been able to fight off a bear or run away from it.

And now a Bible lesson for you: Don't screw with baldy!

The only Bible lesson I am getting right now is that there is no murder too callous for your taste.

You're another one out in left field. What does the scripture say again? "The LORD saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time." - Genesis 6:5

How is that mathematically possible? Could it be an exageration for rethorical purpose, a prejudice, a lie, a myth? Repeating idiocy doesn't make it smart or less monstrous. Right now, your deity's greatest miracles and actions sound like a poorly written fantasy novel.

"The process of secularization, combined with moral relativism, when its done its work, will ultimately destroy a sense of shame in a culture. Secularization has a deadly effect when it is uninformed by a transcendent moral order" (i.e. God). - Ravi Zacharias

Glad to help you out.

Your morality and that of your God is still relativist in nature. Repeating that it isn't doesn't constitute an argument. If you don't want to talk about it fair enough, but make it clear.

Spartan

So were they servants or were they children bellow the age of 13 and in what does it make the massacres of these people something reasonnable and not completely unhinged? Why would you link to an article you believe doesn't make sense.

PS: The idea that to female black bears, smaller than male bear, (the kind that live in the region) could kill 42 adults strains credulity even 42 children seems a lot, but if some were no older than five or 6 years old they wouldn't have been able to fight off a bear or run away from it.

The only Bible lesson I am getting right now is that there is no murder too callous for your taste.

How is that mathematically possible? Could it be an exageration for rethorical purpose, a prejudice, a lie, a myth? Repeating idiocy doesn't make it smart or less monstrous. Right now, your deity's greatest miracles and actions sound like a poorly written fantasy novel.

Your morality and that of your God is still relativist in nature. Repeating that it isn't doesn't constitute an argument. If you don't want to talk about it fair enough, but make it clear.

It's always interesting that you folks have to work yourselves into a frenzy about an old testament story that you don't believe happened in the first place. Amuse yourselves in your infinite wisdom.

You're not God, and you don't have the full background knowledge of the event. And by the way, it doesn't say the bears killed anybody, so get a new dog to run around the arena.

Spartan

Of course you do. There isn't anything that your god could do no matter how reprehensible that you wouldn't find a way to try and defend. It's sad and more than a little frightening.

What's sad is your apparent penchant to second guess the very God who lets you live another day to vent your liberal horse manure.

QuestioningMind

What's sad is your apparent penchant to second guess the very God who lets you live another day to vent your liberal horse manure.

Well, if being 'liberal' means being against the drowning of innocent children, then dang it, paint me a liberal! EVEN if your god threatens to take my life away, I'm NOT going to join you in celebrating the death of innocents. Truly a shame that you have no moral center of your own.