• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covid-19 - Breathe... relax.... breathe

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My motivation is the actual fear that I see and the overreaction of so many people. I am of the group that is labelled "in danger of" - grey haired. And even I think it is overblown.
Maybe you're underestimating it?

I have sneezed into my arm for almost 66 years but to have a couple, that have masks on for protection, actually turn around an go in the opposite direction is just plain ridiculous.
Considering how far and how fast sneezes can project droplets of air, and add wind currents to that, I don't think giving a wide berth, or even walking the opposite direction away from someone who has just sneezed, into their elbow or not, is overblown at all.

I've had stupid people sneezing directly into the air, with just their hand half covering their mouth, just I was was riding my bike in front of them. I've also had an even dumber dufus spit while jogging, as I was coming up behind him on my bike. All I can say is, dumb. Very dumb and absolutely inconsiderate of others health during a pandemic. But even if they sneeze into their elbow, I am still going to give them a wider berth than others. Naturally, and rightly so during a pandemic.

It seems to me like you take people avoiding your path when you sneeze, as a personal insult to you? That's a shame. You shouldn't. People are just following good and advisable protocol during a pandemic. You should support them instead. You should be following their lead.

We don't have a 100% of people with Covid. In our area we have a total of 11 deaths - .00002 of the county population. Our infection for the last 4 months is .0006 of the total population and people are acting like "I'm going to die tomorrow". That is a rate of probability of 5 - one hundred THOUSANDTHS a day of a chance of getting it let alone dying from it.
This is foolhardy reasoning on your part. "Plague, what plague," they say in denial of the threat. "I don't see anyone sick here.". This is foolishness.

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Considering how far and how fast sneezes can project droplets of air, and add wind currents to that, I don't think giving a wide berth, or even walking the opposite direction away from someone who has just sneezed, into their elbow or not, is overblown at all.

Notice how we have been doing that for ages... did that stop you from going to work? Or did you cover your mouth.

This is foolhardy reasoning on your part. "Plague, what plague," they say in denial of the threat. "I don't see anyone sick here.". This is foolishness.

There is a fallacy on this statement.... somewhere.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Notice how we have been doing that for ages... did that stop you from going to work? Or did you cover your mouth.
People get sick from this at work. That's why they are not going into work because there is no natural immunities built up against this, and the death rather is astronomically beyond a common cold or the seasonal flu. Have you not been paying attention to the news? Are you in denial of reality?

There is a fallacy on this statement.... somewhere.
I don't see any fallacy. I do hear denialism loud and clear however. "It's merely a flesh wound," says the black knight as his arm was just cut off by a sword. :)

Kenny

Premium Member
People get sick from this at work. That's why they are not going into work because there is no natural immunities built up against this, and the death rather is astronomically beyond a common cold or the seasonal flu. Have you not been paying attention to the news? Are you in denial of reality?

I didn't say "Go to work sick"... where did I say that?

I don't see any fallacy. I do hear denialism loud and clear however. "It's merely a flesh wound," says the black knight as his arm was just cut off by a sword. :)

I never said "ignore that it exists" - where did I say that?

Maybe that will help you with fallacies.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I didn't say "Go to work sick"... where did I say that?
You could go back and check for yourself, but I'll copy and paste it here for you. "Notice how we have been doing that for ages... did that stop you from going to work? Or did you cover your mouth."

Aren't you saying that since we've been doing that for ages, and it didn't stop us from going to work, that there's no good reason to stay home now? You see how foolish your reasoning is here?

I never said "ignore that it exists" - where did I say that?
Again, you could do this yourself, but I'll be kind and do it for you again. "We don't have a 100% of people with Covid. In our area we have a total of 11 deaths - .00002 of the county population. Our infection for the last 4 months is .0006 of the total population and people are acting like "I'm going to die tomorrow". That is a rate of probability of 5 - one hundred THOUSANDTHS a day of a chance of getting it let alone dying from it."

Translation, "Crisis? What crisis?". Interpretation: Denialism.

Maybe that will help you with fallacies.
Maybe the above will help you with your own fallacies. Then again, you probably won't see what is obvious, because that is a symptom of denialism.

Kenny

Premium Member
You could go back and check for yourself, but I'll copy and paste it here for you. "Notice how we have been doing that for ages... did that stop you from going to work? Or did you cover your mouth."

Let me give you insight... I didn't say "sick". Sneezing is a NORMAL act that your body does on a continual basis. Some people sneeze three times in a row... and it isn't because "I am sick and need to stay home".

Does that help you?

Again, you could do this yourself, but I'll be kind and do it for you again. "We don't have a 100% of people with Covid. In our area we have a total of 11 deaths - .00002 of the county population. Our infection for the last 4 months is .0006 of the total population and people are acting like "I'm going to die tomorrow". That is a rate of probability of 5 - one hundred THOUSANDTHS a day of a chance of getting it let alone dying from it."

So... did this say "it doesn't exist"?

Does that help you?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Let me give you insight... I didn't say "sick". Sneezing is a NORMAL act that your body does on a continual basis. Some people sneeze three times in a row... and it isn't because "I am sick and need to stay home".

Does that help you?
You are unaware that people can be asymptomatic and carriers of Covid19? So, let's say Jim shows no symptoms (asymptomatic), yet has a sniffle from his normal allergies. Or not even a sniffle. But just something stuck in his nose and he sneezes, three times in a row, as in your example. Guess what? Covid19 has just exploded in a mushroom cloud into the room where everyone is is trapped.

They are saying now that the majority of carriers are asymptomatic. So the rule of "if you show signs of sickness stay home", does not apply here.

Does that help you?

So... did this say "it doesn't exist"?

Does that help you?
Did I say you said it doesn't exist? No. What you are doing that is wrong, and is denialism, is downplaying it as no big deal. "Crisis? What crisis? It's merely a flesh wound". That is denialism. And that is irresponsible.

Does that help you?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If a mask is that necessary, then why aren't 'essential employees' who have chosen not to mask up dying by the thousands? If mask are so effective, why aren't we forcing felons in prisons to wear them instead of releasing them into the streets?

A personal friend of ours contacted the virus and had to self-quarantine at home for two weeks. She had done everything recommended as far as preventing the infection. She wore the mask, use the sanitizers, had her groceries delivered--the whole nine yards. She thinks she may have contacted it at work; and out the 100 plus people she worked with only seven came down with covid. The others tested negative for infection and none have come down with the sickness since the initial 'outbreak'. Also, she had the symptoms for at least a week before she went to be tested, but the other members of her household tested negative for any virus and they ares still virus free. She is now back in the work force and she is an advocate for the mask. Although we totally respect her view, I have to stop myself from pointing out that she is a perfect example of why the mask is a total waste of time.
Maybe read this from BBC, and after the first few paragraphs the article gets into what the current research is showing: Why we should all be wearing face masks

Kenny

Premium Member
You are unaware that people can be asymptomatic and carriers of Covid19? So, let's say Jim shows no symptoms (asymptomatic), yet has a sniffle from his normal allergies. Or not even a sniffle. But just something stuck in his nose and he sneezes, three times in a row, as in your example. Guess what? Covid19 has just exploded in a mushroom cloud into the room where everyone is is trapped.

They are saying now that the majority of carriers are asymptomatic. So the rule of "if you show signs of sickness stay home", does not apply here.

Does that help you?

So, take this into context in all of what has been said.

1) I said "sneeze" and you went haywire from there.
2) If someone is asymptomatic - then you can wear a mask so that you don't have to get what someone else has. But you don't have to close down society, all you have to do is to wear that mask. (Which people have been asymptomatic with many things but you seemed to live without a care before)
3) You don't close down every hospital need just because Covid is out there. People who can catch cancer before it is too late are in the "too late" category today
4) You have to take into consideration of lost jobs, lost homes, lost business, lost peace of mind causing suicides, depression, lost schooling, et al.

Do we ignore all of the consequences?

Did I say you said it doesn't exist? No.

Does that help you?

Yes

"I don't see anyone sick here.". This is foolishness.
Does that help you? ;)

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So, take this into context in all of what has been said.

1) I said "sneeze" and you went haywire from there.
I haven't gone haywire at all. I've been precise and accurate in response to every haywire thing you've said.

2) If someone is asymptomatic - then you can wear a mask so that you don't have to get what someone else has. But you don't have to close down society, all you have to do is to wear that mask. (Which people have been asymptomatic with many things but you seemed to live without a care before)
First of all, just to clarify, you understand what an asymptomatic carrier means? That means, you've got Covid19, but don't show any symptoms. It does not mean as you seem to have just said, that you don't have any symptoms, so you wear a mask to protect yourself from others. That is absolutely incorrect if that's what you meant. The asymptomatic person, is the one who should be wearing the mask to protect others from themselves, not knowing if they have it or not.

Regarding masks, in my understanding, the effectiveness of the general handmade cotton masks only really works when both people are wearing them. These are not surgical masks, and if one is wearing one and the other is not, you have an 85% chance you will get what the other person has. But if both are wearing masks, then the chances drop drastically, to somewhere around 1%.

Wearing masks is to protect others from you. Don't be selfish. Care about others. Show them you care. Wear your mask for them.

3) You don't close down every hospital need just because Covid is out there. People who can catch cancer before it is too late are in the "too late" category today
I'm not sure what you are saying is true. Are they denying treatment to people who will die if not treated? I've not heard that before. I do know that things like gallbladder surgery for things that are not immediately life-threatening are being put off, but that is not what you are claiming. You're claiming they are denied treatment, and now are going to die as a direct result of that. You need to source that, and please let it be something credible, and not Fox "news", which is really just political entertainment shows, like Rush Limbaugh. I require something credible.

4) You have to take into consideration of lost jobs, lost homes, lost business, lost peace of mind causing suicides, depression, lost schooling, et al.

Do we ignore all of the consequences?
Who's ignoring these? But I think these claims by the denier crowds, that "masses of people are going to commit suicide", are full of beans. There is no data supporting such claims of mass suicides (other than maybe some Wall Street rich ******** whose god is money offing themselves because their god is dead).

Other than these overblown scare tactic hype hatched from the minds of the fearful and ignorant, we as a society are addressing these concerns as best we can. You don't think we're capable of dealing with this, and our only hope is putting things back exactly the way they were before?

That's doesn't sound like faith to me. Where's your faith? You don't think you can help? Is listening to the fearful and ignorant opinions of complainers going to help? We're all in this together.

Last edited: