• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covid-19 - Breathe... relax.... breathe

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
some said it remained for 48 hours, others for 6 days or more

Some research on the subject is charted

5e8cdb448427e964fd756ce6.jpeg

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It was repeated today on the morning news, namely that the overwhelming consensus of researchers say the greatest threat is airborne, not through the touch.

To put it bluntly: wear the mask when in public!

BSM1

What? Me worry?
When did CBS get their PhD in virology?

They are correct of course but wearing a mask does help reduced the spread of coronavirus if you have the disease and don't (yet) know it.

Did you read the article? They were quoting the CDC and other experts in the field. Most people refuse to believe when they're being lied to by the media.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I didn't ask about the cdc and others so are saying is CBS does not have a degree in virology..?

To continue

"They are correct of course but ... "
Corporations aren't eligible for degrees.
That myth about corporations being "persons" has gone to far, eh.

Edit:
I wasn't clear.
Corporations are indeed (& have been for centuries) persons under the
law in certain regards, eg, suing in court, being sued in court, speech.
But too many think there's some sea change transforming them into
"people". This isn't the case. They cannot marry, vote, adopt, etc.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Not sure what you're getting at...

Your statement was
Not sure CBS agrees with you:

I queried CBS qualifications

I then stated they are right in the headline
The No. 1 way to prevent coronavirus isn't wearing a face mask

And added that mask wearing does help reduce the spread even if not number 1

Its just a funny day, don't worry about it.

MacIntyre notes that cloth masks — which people wash and reuse — are also common in Asian countries. She says there's no evidence to show they have any benefit, and her research suggests they "may actually be harmful," because infrequent washing and moisture retention can make cloth masks a breeding ground for pathogens.

When people kept saying "there's no evidence" I decided to look for myself rather than take their word for it. Took all of 5 mins to find it in a medical journal.

A modelling study suggests that the use of facemasks in the community may help delay and contain a pandemic, although efficacy estimates were not based on RCT data.101 Community masks were protective during the SARS outbreaks, and about 76% of the population used a facemask in Hong Kong.102 There is evidence that masks have efficacy in the community setting, subject to compliance13 and early use.12 18 19
MacIntyre, C. R., & Chughtai, A. A. (2015). Facemasks for the prevention of infection in healthcare and community settings. BMJ, 350(apr09 1), h694–h694. doi:10.1136/bmj.h694

Anyway, an elementary knowledge of how airborne viruses are transmitted will tell you they are effective. Certainly not foolproof, but the maths of a pandemic is significantly impacted by a small reduction in transmission rates.

Also, you can wash them, you are not obliged to keep them dirty you know.

Given the choice, if you or a loved one were in a shop and someone was coughing a couple of meters away, would you prefer that they were wearing a mask, or not wearing a mask?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Something I've started to suspect after reading posts in RF and watching people in real life is that if someone is opposed to wearing a mask and ( especially) practicing social distancing, it isn't that they aren't afraid of the virus, its that they're more afraid of being laughed at by they're friends. :D

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
If a mask is that necessary, then why aren't 'essential employees' who have chosen not to mask up dying by the thousands? If mask are so effective, why aren't we forcing felons in prisons to wear them instead of releasing them into the streets?

A personal friend of ours contacted the virus and had to self-quarantine at home for two weeks. She had done everything recommended as far as preventing the infection. She wore the mask, use the sanitizers, had her groceries delivered--the whole nine yards. She thinks she may have contacted it at work; and out the 100 plus people she worked with only seven came down with covid. The others tested negative for infection and none have come down with the sickness since the initial 'outbreak'. Also, she had the symptoms for at least a week before she went to be tested, but the other members of her household tested negative for any virus and they ares still virus free. She is now back in the work force and she is an advocate for the mask. Although we totally respect her view, I have to stop myself from pointing out that she is a perfect example of why the mask is a total waste of time.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
If a mask is that necessary, then why aren't 'essential employees' who have chosen not to mask up dying by the thousands? If mask are so effective, why aren't we forcing felons in prisons to wear them instead of releasing them into the streets?

A personal friend of ours contacted the virus and had to self-quarantine at home for two weeks. She had done everything recommended as far as preventing the infection. She wore the mask, use the sanitizers, had her groceries delivered--the whole nine yards. She thinks she may have contacted it at work; and out the 100 plus people she worked with only seven came down with covid. The others tested negative for infection and none have come down with the sickness since the initial 'outbreak'. Also, she had the symptoms for at least a week before she went to be tested, but the other members of her household tested negative for any virus and they ares still virus free. She is now back in the work force and she is an advocate for the mask. Although we totally respect her view, I have to stop myself from pointing out that she is a perfect example of why the mask is a total waste of time.
Far as I can tell masks are never touted as a means of protection for the wearer. They're main purpose is to keep infected people from spreading it to everyone else.

Edit: and if anything, your anecdote seems to support that.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Far as I can tell masks are never touted as a means of protection for the wearer. They're main purpose is to keep infected people from spreading it to everyone else.

Edit: and if anything, your anecdote seems to support that.

Well, that's certainly convenient...

If that's the case, then only the infected should be required to mask up...