• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covid 1.9 Trillion dollar relief and gifts galore

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I
In other words, they cannot just make a Covid relief bill a Covid relief bill, because some people will not vote for a Covid relief bill.
l?

I don't think there would be anyone in Congress who would vote against a Covid relief bill... Political suicide.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
My proposal is the have it subject contingent. Bill 1 - ff it is Covid relief... if MUST be directly Covid related (or if it is infrasture - just infrastructure or if it is welfare it should be just welfare). Bill 2 - Pork personal desire bill. This can have a line-item veto so the President can stop any one of them.

Yeah, and then you won't get neither bill 1 nor bill 2 passed.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I don't think there would be anyone in Congress who would vote against a Covid relief bill... Political suicide.

I don't think you understand how partisan politics can be.

One party has the ability to get say 75-90% of what they want by accepting pork. By compromising they only get 50% and upset the party base. The other side if not part of the bill now get to say that they could have done it much better. By not compromising both parties can please their respective base.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I think the first one will get past because of public pressure. The second... is called budget control on out for control spending

Have you actually followed the scholarly studies of how US politics work nowadays? Or are you basing it of what you think?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Have you actually followed the scholarly studies of how US politics work nowadays? Or are you basing it of what you think?
Reality. The reason they KNOW they can pass the pork is because the KNOW that they have to pass covid relief./

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Yeah, I know. I only use my view on reality and never check other views that are different, because if they are different, they are wrong. My view of reality is the only correct one. Check! I can do that. Your view is different that mine, therefore yours are wrong.

The joke about that, is that you can also do that in reverse. So I have learned that sometimes one of my views of reality is wrong by checking other views. I accept that I don't know everything and I can learn by listening to other humans. Why? It is not my reality, it is also theirs.

Regards
Mikkel

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
And I think that is what is fueling an antigovernment status quo of today!
That's why I can't blame folks for wanting a smaller government with less money tied up in it. As @Twilight Hue and you correctly pointed out, this is why legislation needs to be focused with no addons.

ecco

Veteran Member
And I think that is what is fueling an antigovernment status quo of today!

What fueled the anti-government status quo of today is primarily Donald J. Trump with support from Q, Bannon, Fox and OANN. One of his 2016 calls-to-arms was how bad the Government was and that he was going to drain the swamp.

Really? I don't know where you get your information from.

House passes $1.9 trillion Covid relief bill with $1,400 checks, vaccine funding
The Democratic-controlled House voted 219 to 212 to approve the bill, which includes $1,400 direct payments, a $400-a-week federal unemployment bonus, a per-child allowance of up to $3,600 for one year and billions of dollars to distribute the coronavirus vaccines and to assist schools and local governments.

The vote split largely on partisan lines, with every Republican voting against the measure and just two Democrats joining them — Jared Golden of Maine and Kurt Schrader of Oregon.​

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The bill doesn't appear to be as much about Covid relief
for disadvantaged folk as it initially seems. How so?
Let's say that someone became unemployed later last
year, & is still unemployed. Eligibility for the money is
based upon last year's income, not current income.
Made too much then, but making nothing now?
Tough luck.
It appears to be more about pandering to lower income
groups, regardless of whether they're stressed or not.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/coronavirus-stimulus-check-calculator/

Mind you, I'm not at all surprised by this mischief.
But I finally found info confirming what I expected.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
The bill doesn't appear to be as much about Covid relief
for disadvantaged folk as it initially seems. How so?
Let's say that someone became unemployed later last
year, & is still unemployed. Eligibility for the money is
based upon last year's income, not current income.
Made too much then, but making nothing now?
Tough luck.
It appears to be more about pandering to lower income
groups, regardless of whether they're stressed or not.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/coronavirus-stimulus-check-calculator/

Mind you, I'm not at all surprised by this mischief.
But I finally found info confirming what I expected.
Those were my thoughts about it as well.

Suave

Simulated character
I'm all for relief but... really?
  • Directing $350 billion to bailout states like New York, California and Illinois at the expense of states that are open like Florida,
  • Providing another $127 billion for schools with no requirements for schools to actually reopen (According to the CBO only $6 billion of this will be spent in 2021).
  • Spending taxpayer funding for abortions and abortion providers,
  • Earmarking $112 million for an underground subway for Big Tech’s employees, in Silicon Valley,
  • Spending nearly a billion in foreign aid, and
  • Providing hundreds of millions for endowments for the arts and humanities.
  • $480 million for Native American language preservation and maintenance
  • $50 million in environmental justice grants.
I enjoy the statement at

Fact check: Breaking down spending in the COVID-19 relief bill

More than 99% of the American Rescue Plan is going to Americans, though some of that falls in the category of political “pork.” An analysis by a nonpartisan group found about 85% of the bill is related to the pandemic.

Let me break this down"

99% is going to Americans (doesn't matter that "pork" is in it- we will just close our eyes on that)
Another group 85% says related to pandemic - translated - the above 99% is a white-wash and its OK to have 15% pork

Couldn't they just make "Covid relief bill" a Covid relief bill?

**Important Update** Pork spending has been removed from the American Rescue Plan!

Senate COVID-19 relief bill won’t include transportation projects GOP used to voice opposition | PBS NewsHour

Ponder This

In other words, they would never be able to get enough votes for all the pork they added, so they attach covid relief to it in order to compel votes for their pork - label the bill as covid relief and then shame anyone who votes against it.