• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cover your shame?

Remté

The Quran sura 7 ayat 26 says

"26. O ye Children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover your shame, as well as to be an adornment to you. But the raiment of righteousness,- that is the best. Such are among the Signs of Allah, that they may receive admonition!"
Why shame? What is shameful about nakedness? Does it have something to do with the sin of Adam and Eve? Is the translation poor?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

"26. O ye Children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover your shame, as well as to be an adornment to you. But the raiment of righteousness,- that is the best. Such are among the Signs of Allah, that they may receive admonition!"
Why shame? What is shameful about nakedness? Does it have something to do with the sin of Adam and Eve? Is the translation poor?

I am a beautifully created being, who has nothing of myself to be ashamed; I only cover my nakedness because there are many people who would be jealous or highly intimidated by my well-endowed body and they would want me to be clothed.

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

Why not get the transliteration of this verse and understand the word you think that says the Arabic word shame and research its contextual meaning?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
"O children of Adam, We have bestowed upon you clothing to conceal your private parts and as adornment. But the clothing of righteousness - that is best. That is from the signs of Allah that perhaps they will remember."

Surah Al-A'raf [7:26]

Apparently based on this translation by Sahih International, shame in this context refers to a man's "franks and beans" and a woman's "Venus fly trap."

Some more translations:

"O children of Adam! We have sent down to you clothes to cover your nakedness, and to be pleasing to the eye; but the raiment of righteousness is the best. That is one of the signs of God. So that people may take heed."

"O Children of Adam! Surely, We caused to descend to you garments to cover up your intimate parts and finery, but the garment of God-consciousness, that is better. That is of the signs of God so that perhaps they will recollect!"

"O Children of Adam, We have sent down for you garments to cover your wickedness, as well as feathers; and the garment of righteousness is the best. That is from God's signs, perhaps they will remember."

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
"26. O ye Children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover your shame, as well as to be an adornment to you. But the raiment of righteousness,- that is the best. Such are among the Signs of Allah, that they may receive admonition!"​

Luckily any poor interpretation gets solved by "raiment of righteousness, that is the best". I like this update to the Bible verses.

Ellen Brown

I've seen sooooo many nekid people ... The funniest is the male penis. So actually a loin cloth should be sufficient.

I think the full body covering originated to prevent sunburn and freezing to death. And in the Tuareg it both genders.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Ancient goat herders were wise enough to realize that the mere glance of pee pees, boobies, and other no-no areas causes irreparable psychological damage.

Remté

I've seen sooooo many nekid people ... The funniest is the male penis. So actually a loin cloth should be sufficient.

I think the full body covering originated to prevent sunburn and freezing to death. And in the Tuareg it both genders.
Really? I think it might originates from some chauvinistic piece of **** who hates women. But I don't know, I'm still researching about it. After all if it was for sunburn Muslims wouldn't say that God wants women to cover their whole bodies.

Jumi

But the raiment of righteousness,- that is the best.

That sounds good to me.