• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Couple who waved guns at protesters pardoned by MO governor

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I never understood why when people barely dodge a harsh prison sentence, they decide to run for political office.
It's America. :)
A gated community is a private estate, so any uninvited folks are trespassers.
Waving a gun around in your own private area as a warning is probably 'not unusual' in America.

I'm certainly not a right-winger but masses of Americans won't even blink at what those two nutters did.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Waving a gun around in your own private area as a warning is probably 'not unusual' in America.

I'm certainly not a right-winger but masses of Americans won't even blink at what those two nutters did.

But would you run for political office after already dodging like a felony charge, is the question? It just seems to me like escaping a frying pan to go into a deep fryer.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I have no issue with what that couple did, at all. They defended their property from a bunch of deranged lunatics.
Although I think that couple are daft as brushes, it was a private 'gated' estate and the crowd was trespassing.
In the UK those two idiots would have been locked up, but in America........ I guess it was normal. :D

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
But would you run for political office after already dodging like a felony charge, is the question? It just seems to me like escaping a frying pan to go into a deep fryer.
Maybe he'll get fried.... and they'll have the most stressful time of their lives. Let's hope so.
The division of 'haves' and 'have-nots' and the political tribal entrenchments cause such wide division that feelings are red-hot on both sides.
The State Governor probably though he was staving off yet more trouble..... who knows?

But a crowd, entering a gated-estate without permission would be considered as a very dangerous situation here in the UK.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The crowd weren’t “protesters”, they were trespassers on private property and menacing the owners.
It's tiresome when such terms are used for people who invade private property without permission.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I would think its due to nobody being killed.
.....and 'gated estates' are 'all private premises'. Even the roads.
We have them here and a crowd marching in uninvited would be a very frightening situation for many residents...... I think that super richness is really wrong, but private places are private places.

Twilight Hue

Government runs like organized crime now. A felony dodge comes across as an entrance requirement nowadays.

Twilight Hue

.....and 'gated estates' are 'all private premises'. Even the roads.
We have them here and a crowd marching in uninvited would be a very frightening situation for many residents...... I think that super richness is really wrong, but private places are private places.
What strikes me as strange is most gated communities have security personnel.

It's unusual there is no mention of guards or the like.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
That's when responsible citizens call police. You don't pull guns on people who aren't posing a serious threat.
Yeah.... but it's America! :D
I watch 'Judge Judy' and some incidents involve folks waving guns after car accidents! :D

Trespassers? Wave a gun!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
What strikes me as strange is most gated communities have security personnel.

It's unusual there is no mention of guards or the like.

We don't know what really happened....maybe the guards stood back?
Our gated communities actually do have gates that close the road entrance off. If a crowd broke through those gates or opened them then I would have gone outside my home with my spade or whatever. We ain't quite as scary here..... spades and brooms. :D

F1fan

Veteran Member

"Waving" a gun around might not be deemed a direct threat. However holding a gun and pointing it at people walking by, even if trespassing, is threatening. The Castle Doctrine laws tend to only apply to INSIDE a house, not on property. These two violated laws and were convicted.

F1fan

Veteran Member
It's tiresome when such terms are used for people who invade private property without permission.
They didn't;t "invade" private property. Someone found a shortcut through the gated community to get to their destination and the crowd followed. Was it trespassing? Probably. Was it wrong for the crowd to walk through uninvited? Yes. But that didn't warrant guns being pointed at them. That is reactionary and dangerous. This is why the couple were charged and convicted. A minor crime doesn't justify a serious crime.

RestlessSoul

Maybe he'll get fried.... and they'll have the most stressful time of their lives. Let's hope so.
The division of 'haves' and 'have-nots' and the political tribal entrenchments cause such wide division that feelings are red-hot on both sides.
The State Governor probably though he was staving off yet more trouble..... who knows?

But a crowd, entering a gated-estate without permission would be considered as a very dangerous situation here in the UK.

There aren’t many gated estates in the U.K. though are there? Unless you count the ones owned by the Queen.

And thank heaven for that, what an offensive concept, building walled ghettos for the rich.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I haven't noticed it being all that common in America for people to be waving guns around in their front yard. Some people might have signs or bumper stickers that imply that the owner is armed, though.

But the situation here was somewhat unusual, since it's a rare occurrence that a crowd of people would suddenly be walking up the street in a gated community. Protests tend to occur in city centers or on major thoroughfares, not in neighborhoods like that. News reports were conflicted; many people were frightened that the cities were becoming dangerous and unsafe. So, this couple seemed to be scared, as they saw a crowd of people in front of their house and they had no idea why or what they were intending.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "masses of Americans won't even blink at what those two nutters did." It obviously got national attention, and perhaps there are those who sympathize with the old couple here. What I find interesting is that, in the past, many riots and civil disturbances happened in places somewhat removed from suburban middle-class America, where people would watch it on TV, while still rather insulated and detached. But here's a case where an insulated area could no longer consider itself removed from the action. Gated community or not, they're still part of America.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Its time people start laying blame on people instead of a party. Dem or Repub do what they do for two reasons...
1. Its who they are
2. Its for election purposes

Term limits on every elected office be it, federal, state, county and city would stop a lot of the BS. Of course that's my opinion.
Never'l happen.

Wandering Monk

Are you asking if Cuomo thought he could get away with it because Trump was able to? Your question doesn't make much sense. I don't see anyone trying to defend Cuomo, whereas Trump's bootlickers always cooked up denials and excuses for his predatory behavior.

The most frequent excuse seems to be, 'It was a long time ago. People change.' I wonder if the Trumpists will be so generous with Cuomo. BTW, I think Cuomo absolutely has to go.