• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

couple of basic questions on islam

drunkenmonkey

treatment of nonmuslims in muslim countries.I've read that nonmuslims don't feel particularly safe in these countries. True or false? looking for answers from people living in islamic countries or from those who have visited/lived in these places.

violence. last month, in bangladesh, 10 buddhist temples and 40 buddhist homes were destroyed by muslims because of something posted on facebook regarding the burning of the quran.
why so much violence over such a tiny issue, why the overreaction?
it seems that even the slightest provocation causes muslims to go on a rampage. The reasons for this?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
treatment of nonmuslims in muslim countries.I've read that nonmuslims don't feel particularly safe in these countries. True or false? looking for answers from people living in islamic countries or from those who have visited/lived in these places.

violence. last month, in bangladesh, 10 buddhist temples and 40 buddhist homes were destroyed by muslims because of something posted on facebook regarding the burning of the quran.
it seems that even the slightest provocation causes muslims to go on a rampage. The reasons for this?

These aren't questions on Islam -- these are questions about some cultures where Islam just happens to be the majority religion.

There are dark sides to many religions (in my opinion), but one can't attribute the actions of some individuals to the religion in its entirety. It's often a matter of how the people (i.e. the culture at the time) interprets it. Compare Dark Ages Christian oppression in Europe to post-Enlightenment Christian tolerance in so-called "Western" cultures today.

In fact, note that it has little to do with the religion and more to do with the cultural ideals: it's not just Christians who are tolerant in free and open societies; it's also the Muslims, and the Jews, and the Hindus, and the irreligious, and whoever else.

Don't blame Islam on the attrocities in the Middle East, blame the failure of education and the cycle of ignorance, poverty, and hatred. Also realize that there are plenty of rational, peaceful, earnest human beings even in the darkest of countries and cultures. It's hopefully only a matter of time before they grow to the point of convincing their neighbors to grow up with them.

Not to defend violence, but they didn't do it because of the Quran. They were retaliating for the massacres of the Rohingya across the border in Myanmar (which by the way "Nobel Laureate" Aung San Suu Kyi has done nothing to stop)

PressTV - Myanmar?s Suu Kyi under fire for silence on Rohingya massacre

RitalinO.D.

This is far and away a minority of muslims who portray this stereotype. I lived in Turkey for two years, which is roughly 96-97% Sunni Muslim, and felt perfectly safe. I met tons of perfectly nice and pleasant people. Was welcomed into homes, where they cooked me dinner and asked for nothing in return. Just friendly conversation. And most knew I was Athiest. Also spent a great deal of time in Saudi Arabia, as well as Qatar, and felt no sense of impending doom in either place.

From my personal experience with the Muslim people, it has been nothing but pleasant.