• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Countries like Australia prove secularism does not equal communism and other violent antitheisms

Road Less Traveled

Communism, in principle.... sounds amazing to me. It’s just not possible and is unrealistic given the nature of humans. It also would threaten other systems, which would be a big no-no.
So now, it’s just a buzz trigger word and label that turns on an offensive switch in many due to the indoctrinated preconceptions of it being evil or given a bad image/rep for what others may have done to abuse it.

Moz

Religion. A pox on all their Houses.
Countries like Australia prove secularism does not equal communism and other violent antitheisms.

This thread is basically about secularism vs theocracy

Hi

I noticed that you started this thread to debunk the comment,,,,, Forget the "end of religious wars" which was the sentiment ushered in at the turn of the 20th Century - where hundreds of millions were murdered for secular causes.
The question that you posed did not mention the hundred million or so who died in the failed secular experiments of the 20th century,
The modern chinese expression of this collective secular approach is not looking so good either.
Surley the chinese at 1,5 Billion occuppying part of a continent is a better example than Australia's you 25 million on an entire continent.
Countries like australia are no example of anything other than it is better to be a rich country than a poor one. Our secular good charm would turn pretty parochial and nasty very quickly, us Aussies are like that.

This thread is basically about leftists and liberals trying to forget what their ideology leads to when it gets control.

Peace

Moz

Communism, in principle.... sounds amazing to me. It’s just not possible and is unrealistic given the nature of humans. It also would threaten other systems, which would be a big no-no.
So now, it’s just a buzz trigger word and label that turns on an offensive switch in many due to the indoctrinated preconceptions of it being evil or given a bad image/rep for what others may have done to abuse it.
HI
Killing millions upon millions of your own people is an unfortunate glitch in the system though.
Peace.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Hi

I noticed that you started this thread to debunk the comment,,,,, Forget the "end of religious wars" which was the sentiment ushered in at the turn of the 20th Century - where hundreds of millions were murdered for secular causes.
The question that you posed did not mention the hundred million or so who died in the failed secular experiments of the 20th century,
The modern chinese expression of this collective secular approach is not looking so good either.
Surley the chinese at 1,5 Billion occuppying part of a continent is a better example than Australia's you 25 million on an entire continent.
Countries like australia are no example of anything other than it is better to be a rich country than a poor one. Our secular good charm would turn pretty parochial and nasty very quickly, us Aussies are like that.

This thread is basically about leftists and liberals trying to forget what their ideology leads to when it gets control.

Peace
Nonsense, one could just as easily point to poor theocratic places such as Middle East and North Africa as failed examples of theocracy. Or richer examples of theocracy such as Russia.

Liberals often do have power in Australia (bar the current government) and to no detriment.
Norway and Sweden have non-religious countries (although I don’t know how left-wing they are).

China is a communist country and one need not be communist to be liberal. Japan has low religiousity and it is capitalist.

You slur liberals as communists or other violent anti theists etc, but this is a lie that you tell to keep fellow church goers in the dark about better options that they have.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Countries like Australia prove secularism does not equal communism and other violent antitheisms.

France is becoming more and more secular, once a predominantly catholic country there is now a strong movement to have the french motto updated to ...

Liberté, égalité, fraternité, laïcité

Laïcité = secularism.

So much so that of the six official functions i have been to this year, at five of them the updated motto was recited. The sixth was presided over by the local priest.

Moz

Nonsense, one could just as easily point to poor theocratic places such as Middle East and North Africa as failed examples of theocracy. Or richer examples of theocracy such as Russia.

Liberals often do have power in Australia (bar the current government) and to no detriment.
Norway and Sweden have non-religious countries (although I don’t know how left-wing they are).

China is a communist country and one need not be communist to be liberal. Japan has low religiousity and it is capitalist.

You slur liberals as communists or other violent anti theists etc, but this is a lie that you tell to keep fellow church goers in the dark about better options that they have.
HI
The gulags and re-education camps are not nonsense they are the exact result of the us against the oppressor narrative of the lberal left. Western secular politics is a joke of irrationality because there are no standards that can not be reasoned around.

If you think the middle eastern and african problems are not in a big part to be laid at the feet of these secular governments you look too then you are deluding your self.
The middle east crapfest is actually an example of secular social engineering at its inept finest. For a over a century the secular governments of the developed world have installed a series of theocratic dictators and continue to support them for purely secular pragmatism.

Peace

ChristineM

Premium Member
Hi
How do you figure that?
Peace

Politics. Those killings were not in the name of communism but to stamp out objection to the revolutionary cause, i.e. nationalism.

However if you want to talk about mass killings in the name of a cause, how about religion who's tally beats 800 million in recorded history

Moz

Politics. Those killings were not in the name of communism but to stamp out objection to the revolutionary cause, i.e. nationalism.

However if you want to talk about mass killings in the name of a cause, how about religion who's tally beats 800 million in recorded history
HI
That is not a very comprehensive list. Yes they went after counter revolutionaries in the first couple of years but the REAL slaughter was when they went after the middle class and the small farmers and collectivised the means of production.
The mass starvations were not nationalism they were the result of human decisions made in line with the collective ideology of the rabidly secular left.
Marx was just plain wrong. The world can not be viewed as the oppressor and the oppressed. That way leads to the grave.

If you want to get into the religious violence you name the conflict and i'll give you the geo/political reason why it really happened. Anywhere from now back to the Summerians just so i don't miss anything.

Religion has been used to justify war but it has mostly been the junior partner. Secularism is the same beast without any of the restraint.

Peace

Moz

Hi

The australian governent has whole heartedly supported every stupid military venture in the last 100 years. It is not an example of the secular ethic that you should be proud of.

Peace

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi

The australian governent has whole heartedly supported every stupid military venture in the last 100 years. It is not an example of the secular ethic that you should be proud of.

Peace
Well yeah, we helped our allies in times of war.

ChristineM

Premium Member
HI
That is not a very comprehensive list. Yes they went after counter revolutionaries in the first couple of years but the REAL slaughter was when they went after the middle class and the small farmers and collectivised the means of production.
The mass starvations were not nationalism they were the result of human decisions made in line with the collective ideology of the rabidly secular left.
Marx was just plain wrong. The world can not be viewed as the oppressor and the oppressed. That way leads to the grave.

If you want to get into the religious violence you name the conflict and i'll give you the geo/political reason why it really happened. Anywhere from now back to the Summerians just so i don't miss anything.

Religion has been used to justify war but it has mostly been the junior partner. Secularism is the same beast without any of the restraint.

Peace

Couple of years? Wow, history re-written eh?

Sure Marx was wrong to the right wing, but his work has evolved. Nationalistic ideas vary by nation and both Russia and China, after the atrocities of the past have honed communism to make them both strong countries.

I was not talking secondary religious conflict but conflict in which one side or both fought either to impose their faith on the opposition or annihilate them completely?

Of course can excuse religious atrosities because it suites you so please feel free to explain these away as junior partners.

"US Western Expansion (Justified by ""Manifest Destiny""):20,000,000"
AIDS deaths in Africa largely due to religious opposition to condoms: 30,000,000
Al Qaeda, 1993-
Albigensian Crusade, 1208-49
Algeria, 1992-
Arab Outbreak, 7th Century CE
Arab-Israeli Wars, 1948-
Armenian Genocide: 1,500,000
Atlantic Slave Trade (Justified by Christianity): 14,000,000
Aztec Human Sacrifice: 80,000
Muslim/Bab’i conflict, 1848-54
Bosnia, 1992-95
Boxer Rebellion, 1899-1901
Christian Romans, 30-313 CE
Congolese Genocide (King Leopold II): 13,000,000
Croatia, 1991-92
Crusades, 1095-1291 - 6,000,000
Dutch Revolt, 1566-1609
Eighty Years' War: 1,000,000
English Civil War, 1642-46
First Sudanese Civil War: 1,000,000
French Wars of Religion: 4,000,000
Great Peasants' Revolt: 250,000
Huguenot Wars, 1562-1598
India, 1992-2002
India: Suttee & Thugs
Indo-Pakistani Partition, 1947
Iran, Islamic Republic, 1979-
Iraq War: 500,000
Iraq, Shiites, 1991-92
Islamic Terrorism Since 2000: 150,000
Jewish Diaspora (Not Including the Holocaust): 1,000,000
Jews, 1348
Jonestown, 1978
Lebanon 1860 / 1975-92 250,000
Molucca Is., 1999-
Mongolia, 1937-39
Muslim Conquests of India: 80,000,000
Nigeria, 1990s, 2000s- 1,000,000
Northern Ireland, 1974-98
Russian pogroms 1905-06 / 1917-22
Rwandan Genocide: 800,000
Second Sudanese Civil War: 2,000,000
Shang China, ca. 1300-1050 BCE
Shimabara Revolt, Japan 1637-38
Sikh uprising, India, 1984-91
Spanish Inquisition, 1478-1834 - 5,000
St. Bartholemew Massacre, 1572
Taiping Rebellion, 1850-64
The Holocaust (Jewish and Homosexual Deaths): 6,500,000
Thirty Years War, 1618-48 - 11,500,000
Tudor England
Vietnam, 1800s
Witch Hunts, 1400-1800
Xhosa, 1857

Now i am sure you can excuse some of those, the fact remains religion was a major player in every one

Moz

Well yeah, we helped our allies in times of war.

Hi.
What a well argued point.
The OP is about how secular government is somehow more nonviolent than the systems that came before. The ease with which the Australian people agree to the killing of people in other countries proves that nothing has changed. Politics has just replaced religious identity with national identity and pull the same levers to manipulate people.
Peace