• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Countries banning of kosher meats are forcing "expulsion" of Jews

charlie sc

Yet I'm asking you about other mammals. Is it ok to make mice and rats suffer with traps and poison?
Ok, you want to talk about mice and rats. Since the argument is about unnecessary suffering even though we're killing them, we'll leave it at that discussion.

Do you know if they suffer or not in traps or when ingested rat poison?

We Never Know

No Slack
Ok, you want to talk about mice and rats. Since the argument is about unnecessary suffering even though we're killing them, we'll leave it at that discussion.

They must. They squirm just like a cow does.

How do you know a cow suffers and not just going on different instinct like the fly you descibed?

We Never Know

No Slack

Oh and also, we do breed cows for the sole purpose to slaughter.

We breed rats and mice to feed alive to snakes and such.

We breed crickets to feed alive to spiders and lizards.

We breed rabbits to slaughter.

We breed chickens to slaughter.

We breed turkeys to slaughter.

Etc....

Where is the humanity in any of it?

charlie sc

Oh and also, we do breed cows for the sole purpose to slaughter.

We breed rats and mice to feed alive to snakes and such.

We breed crickets to feed alive to spiders and lizards.

We breed rabbits to slaughter.

We breed chickens to slaughter.

We breed turkeys to slaughter.

Etc....
Yes and this particular topic is about unnecessary suffering. So, does that animal we're about to kill, and maybe not out of necessity(e.g. need to live), have to suffer more than it needs to? If we're more moral than not, I'd have to say no.

Where is the humanity in any of it?
Maybe there isn't or maybe humanity needs to change for the better.

Rats and mice, I would look at them the same if I saw a human suffering. I'd look for similarities.
Wait what? I didn't understand this.

We Never Know

No Slack
Uh, ok. I guess no research on that topic :D

The same way I'd know if I saw a human was suffering: I'd look at the similarities.

The point I'm getting at is we see cows more as a pet than a rat. So we assign the cow to be more than the rat.

Others countries eat cats, dogs horses, etc. Here in the states it's forbidden because we assign them more than just an animal for food.

We Never Know

No Slack
Yes and this particular topic is about unnecessary suffering. So, does that animal we're about to kill, and maybe not out of necessity(e.g. need to live), have to suffer? If we're more moral than not, I'd have to say no.

Maybe there isn't or maybe humanity needs to change for the better.

Wait what? I didn't understand this.

"Wait what? I didn't understand this"

By looking at the rat or mouse, you can easily tell if they are suffering or not by their actions. Foaming at the mouth, squirming, jerking, etc to me are signs of suffering.

charlie sc

We Never Know

No Slack
Yes.

Yep.

I'm not trying to get you to change your stance. I'm trying to get you to see what we think is wrong, other countries and cultures think is fine. The eating of horse's, cats and dogs is a good example of that.
I remember watching videos of people in a country locking a live monkey in a table, taking hammers and beating it in the head to break it open so they could eat it's brains. I've been to those countries, never seen it in person though.

charlie sc

I'm not trying to get you to change your stance. I'm trying to get you to see what we think is wrong, other countries and cultures think is fine. The eating of horse's, cats and dogs is a good example of that.
I remember watching videos of people in a country locking a live monkey in a table, taking hammers and beating it in the head to break it open so they could eat it's brains.
I understand this on a fundamental level. I'm a moral relativist. However, that does not mean I don't have morals. And, what I know of empathy is that it's generally a good thing. Since we both seem to be moral relativists, you understand that even morality for human beings can change. This is why we can torture, enslave and kill our fellow human being and say it was for good. This is exactly why empathy should not be devalued.

We Never Know

No Slack
Yes.

We are also just animals.

Yes we are just animals as well. A product of nature and evolution. However we have became more intelligent and dominant than any other species on the planet. The sad thing is we also have became more destructive and wasteful than any other species on the planet. Not a good trade off.

charlie sc

Yes we are just animals as well. A product of nature and evolution. However we have became more intelligent and dominant than any other species on the planet. The sad thing is we also have became more destructive and wasteful than any other species on the planet. Not a good trade off.
We seem to agree a lot more the second time around.