• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Countries banning of kosher meats are forcing "expulsion" of Jews

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I'm outraged! How can you expect people to put animal welfare before their religious superstitions!

Ellen Brown

You're dodging the issue.

Not dodging at all, but I am aware of the various opinions. If the Jews or the Muslims want their meat slaughtered a certain way, why interfere. Are you prepared to give up Pork and shellfish to make others happy? Thought not. So perhaps just minding your own business ....?

Ellen Brown

Your religion requires you to ritualistically slit an animals throat? :confused:

Christians are largely hedonistic and mostly do whatever they want to, always being prepared to give an excuse for their conduct. The "Kill and Eat" passage in the NT does not absolve them from many of the admonishments in the OT. What ever, go your merry way.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
So explain, then, just why they can't comply with modern slaughter and exsanguination methods? There is no difference aside from the use of electricity or captive bolts, a method that ensures not only efficient exsanguination but also ensures the safety of those doing the work. For Jews to cry antisemitism over an ancient and unnecessary practice being locked down (and this isn't new, either; it has long been criticized by veterinarians and animal welfare groups) is ridiculous and childish. There is nothing, nothing, lost by them modifying their beliefs and practices as others have throughout the ages.

Are you prepared to give up Pork and shellfish to make others happy? Thought not. So perhaps just minding your own business ....?

A stupid attempt at table-turning. Others have given up many things, as outlined in Post #12. Are you (or rather, the government) going to mind your own business over animal sacrifice? What about genital mutilation? Polygamy? Witch hunts? How about when your neighbor starts displaying swastikas?

Thought not.

Last edited:

Ellen Brown

So explain, then, just why they can't comply with modern slaughter and exsanguination methods? There is no difference aside from the use of electricity or captive bolts, a method that ensures not only efficient exsanguination but also ensures the safety of those doing the work. For Jews to cry antisemitism over an ancient and unnecessary practice being locked down (and this isn't new, either; it has long been criticized by veterinarians and animal welfare groups) is ridiculous and childish. There is nothing, nothing, lost by them modifying their beliefs and practices as others have throughout the ages.

A stupid attempt at table-turning. Others have given up many things, as outlined in Post #12. Are you (or rather, the government) going to mind your own business over animal sacrifice? What about genital mutilation? Polygamy? Witch hunts? How about when your neighbor starts displaying swastikas?

Thought not.

Ignore...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Not dodging at all, but I am aware of the various opinions. If the Jews or the Muslims want their meat slaughtered a certain way, why interfere. Are you prepared to give up Pork and shellfish to make others happy? Thought not. So perhaps just minding your own business ....?
No one is forcing them to give up meat. If one's superstitious, oops II mean religious, beliefs say that one needs to unnecessarily torture the animals that one eats, then that is their fault.

I have never noticed blood in the meat I buy. And cutting an animal's throat will cause some blood to drain, but there will still be a significant amount in it when its heart stops.

If one is worried about blood one could do the final cleansing again at home.

HonestJoe

Are you proposing that there should be no regulations on how animals are slaughtered for food so anyone can choose to do it however they personally prefer or are you proposing that we keep the existing laws and regulations but grant special exemptions for Muslims and Jews to break them? If it is the latter, do you extend this principle to any other laws or regulations and any other religious religions or beliefs?

rosends

The United States envoy against anti-Semitism has condemned the spread of legislation in Europe that limits the slaughter of animals according to Jewish religious tradition as “disgraceful” and “intolerable,” claiming such laws are forcing the expulsion of Jewish communities.
Countries banning kosher meat are forcing “expulsion” of Jews, says U.S. anti-Semitism envoy
What it amounts to is a statement of "stop being Jewish the way you understand to be Jewish, or leave." Now, of course, this could be prompted by a sincere belief that something intrinsic to Jewish practice must be legislated against, or a belief that (a) religious belief must take a back seat to other legal systems. The underlying message, though, is the same -- no one is forcing you to continue to practice as you see fit so either change your practice or you will have to go elsewhere.

This need not be about the specifics of slaughter. It could be about any aspect of religious practice. A society has the right to decide that a mode of behavior or ritual (be it slaughter, drinking wine, not working on a particular day) flies in the face of that society's values so it makes rules to outlaw that practice. This is not necessarily anti- the religion as religion (though it might be) or anti- the religion as its particular religion (though it might be). It might just be "pro a different set of priorities and beliefs."

But the end result is no different in practice and there is no way to suss out any true intent.

sooda

Veteran Member
Are you proposing that there should be no regulations on how animals are slaughtered for food so anyone can choose to do it however they personally prefer or are you proposing that we keep the existing laws and regulations but grant special exemptions for Muslims and Jews to break them? If it is the latter, do you extend this principle to any other laws or regulations and any other religious religions or beliefs?

How do we know which is the most humane way? At least with Halal and Kosher the animal is calm up to the moment its throat is slashed.

charlie sc

sooda

Veteran Member
Pretty sure the last few moments the animal is aware after it's throat is slashed are pretty upsetting for the animal.

To be perfectly graphic... The throat was slashed deeply and the head was pulled back completely .. It appeared to be instant to me.. but I have nothing to compare it to except "hog killing" on my grandparent's farm.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
How do we know which is the most humane way? At least with Halal and Kosher the animal is calm up to the moment its throat is slashed.
Are they? Animals can often smell blood and fear of their own. I don't think that they are very reassured no matter what method is used. And I do admit to being ignorant in the following,but I am unaware of any demand by their religion that Jews or Muslims have to eat meat. If their meat processing is too cruel for countries that they live in isn't vegetarianism an option for them?