• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Couldn't have said it better myself...

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Your inability to properly understand context is because you know that God is a liar if one reads it literally. You are forced to make bogus excuses for him. Now you need to remember that by your own standards you called God a liar. Not my standards, your standards.
There are no excuses. Genesis 2:4 explains that there was a "day" of creation. Not 7 days of 24 hours each. The devil told Eve she would surely not die. He lied. She died.

YoursTrue

Your inability to properly understand context is because you know that God is a liar if one reads it literally. You are forced to make bogus excuses for him. Now you need to remember that by your own standards you called God a liar. Not my standards, your standards.
Certainly not everything in the Bible is to read 'literally.' Anyway, in this context, you might want to look at the word 'day' again -- especially Genesis 2:4.

YoursTrue

No, I have. You are merely cherry picking. As do those that believe in endless torment. The Bible can be used to defend both if one ignores the other verses.
Many realize that the word hell, as taught by many in the world of religion, is not a true teaching to mean endless conscious torture.

YoursTrue

To read it literally means that she was to die on the day she ate from the tree. It was as if she was put in the cell awaiting death (total execution) from that day forward. On that day, she was going to die. Anyway, do you think those in the human race are going to die? :) But of course, that's -- evolution...isn't it. God never said she would be tortured in hell. He said she--would--die. She knew that. The devil said she would NOT die. She died. She believed -- the devil.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Certainly not everything in the Bible is to read 'literally.' Anyway, in this context, you might want to look at the word 'day' again -- especially Genesis 2:4.
Do you think that the context is always the same in one book? When God supposedly said "on that day you will die" that has a lot more authority for it being that specific day.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Many realize that the word hell, as taught by many in the world of religion, is not a true teaching to mean endless conscious torture.
When it comes to Christianity that is only your opinion. The Bible will support either extreme if one only picks certain verses out of it.

But just as you can not believe in a God that would unjustly torture people forever, and that is a good thing, I could not believe in a God that lied.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
To read it literally means that she was to die on the day she ate from the tree. It was as if she was put in the cell awaiting death (total execution) from that day forward. On that day, she was going to die. Anyway, do you think those in the human race are going to die? :) But of course, that's -- evolution...isn't it. God never said she would be tortured in hell. He said she--would--die. She knew that. The devil said she would NOT die. She died. She believed -- the devil.
No. We are talking about a magical being here. Supposedly she could have ran and God would only have had to snap his fingers (in a god sense) and she would be dead no matter where she was. And you are ignoring the context. God had said that she would die that day, the Serpent, by the way not "the Devil" not "Satan", said that she would not. She did not die that day. The Serpent was more honest than God that day.

YoursTrue

Evolution has it (the theory of) that humans are bound to die, right? Bound is a good word for it.

YoursTrue

When it comes to Christianity that is only your opinion. The Bible will support either extreme if one only picks certain verses out of it.

But just as you can not believe in a God that would unjustly torture people forever, and that is a good thing, I could not believe in a God that lied.
I have seen people argue about this, but to me -- just like it seems to be clear to you that there is no God -- it is clear that Jesus is God's son, and that the word hell has been misinterpreted greatly by many religions. It's like a puzzle. Put the pieces together and they fit. But the pieces have to be made carefully and so does the frame.
Upon attending college away from my family, I began to realize that religion was very strange and eventually I decided there is no God. Until I needed Him, and I prayed, and I began to believe. A set of circumstances occurred which I won't go into now.

YoursTrue

Evolution is based upon reality. In the real world organisms die. It does not say that humans are "bound" to die. But the odds are that they will.

Why does that matter one iota?

Are you really that desperate?
Odds are? When we are born, as we gain consciousness, we know death is. Death is "bound up" in our bodies. Do you think otherwise?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I have seen people argue about this, but to me -- just like it seems to be clear to you that there is no God -- it is clear that Jesus is God's son, and that the word hell has been misinterpreted greatly by many religions. It's like a puzzle. Put the pieces together and they fit. But the pieces have to be made carefully and so does the frame.
Upon attending college away from my family, I began to realize that religion was very strange and eventually I decided there is no God. Until I needed Him, and I prayed, and I began to believe. A set of circumstances occurred which I won't go into now.
You are not quite right. There is no evidence for a God therefore there is no good reason to believe in one.

Your beliefs do not appear to be rational. You believe in a God that lies in several ways and that is incompetent and unjust too boot.

Personal experience can be very convincing. It can also be very misleading. People often misattribute the credit or blame when personal events occur. But let's say that you were convinced that a God exists, Why the terribly flawed God of the Bible?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Odds are? When we are born, as we gain consciousness, we know death is. Death is "bound up" in our bodies. Do you think otherwise?
No, that is why I said "odds are". Would a person that lived forever refute evolution? Not in the least since it does not rely on people dying. People die because the life process is imperfect. There was no need to program in dying into people.

PearlSeeker

Yes believers in God have various religions.
And yes some people want to combine them all into one religion (Eg Baha'is) and some just give up and say they are all rubbish and etc.
I see Christianity as the best and the truth however and witnessed to by God in prophecy and by historical records.
But everything is attacked by those who don't believe and it becomes hard to see through the muck to see what the truth is without God leading the way.
The truth is people long for justice, immortality, peace... "something more"... That's why they hold on to religious stories.

Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life.” (Jn 6:68)

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied. (Beatitudes)

If there's a God or any kind of justice under the sky
If there's a point, if there's a reason to live or die
If there's an answer to the questions, we feel bound to ask
Show yourself, destroy our fears, release your mask (Queen - Innuendo)