1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Couldn't have said it better myself...

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Evangelicalhumanist, Oct 19, 2022.

1. YoursTrue

YoursTrue Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)

Ratings:
    +1,894
    Religion:
    Christian
    Nothing about never ending...

2. YoursTrue

Ratings:
    +1,894
    Religion:
    Christian
    Brian2 told you the truth about the twisting being done in the name of religion or God.

3. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +40,293
    Religion:
    Atheist
    You are being inconsistent. You might as well call the whole story symbolic. First, we know that it is myth. Second the morals in it are abysmal. Instead of claiming that your God is a monster you should just call it a morality tale.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +40,293
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Yes, I do see twisting here by believers. It is best not to use the Bible as a book of science.

5. YoursTrue

Ratings:
    +1,894
    Religion:
    Christian
    there is definitely disagreement among those called believers, I agree with you on that. That is why -- oh, I won't say. I don't respond to each and every interpretation I don't agree with. This is a message board and right now, rather than go into who or what Elijah is, I'll just say that many things happened on that Seventh Day. (Many things.) My next comment is -- oh well.

6. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +40,293
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Too bad that you have never analyzed your beliefs rationally. Perhaps those other Christians are more correct than you are.

• Like Like x 1
  7. lewisnotmiller

lewisnotmiller Grand Hat
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,542
    Religion:
    atheist
    'Avowed'....are you sure about that?

• Like Like x 1
  8. lewisnotmiller

lewisnotmiller Grand Hat
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,542
    Religion:
    atheist

Sorry, I don't have much investment in this topic. I just found this little turn of phrase here pretty cool.
    It wasn't even the deliberate hyperbole, so much as combining it whilst writing church as a verb.
    Beautiful!

9. Brian2

Brian2 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,834
    Religion:
    Christian
    Of course.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Brian2

Brian2 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,834
    Religion:
    Christian
    I don't see people calling themselves God in the Bible.
    But to answer the question, no, there is one true God.

11. Brian2

Brian2 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,834
    Religion:
    Christian
    I don't think Jesus spoke of His mother as "that woman" but did address her as "woman". This however was not derogatory in that culture.
    Jesus did not disown His family, He did say that those who do the will of His Father in heaven is His mother and sister and brother, but I also can say that and not be disowning my biological family.

12. Brian2

Brian2 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,834
    Religion:
    Christian
    Yes the serpent was correct and verified God when it said that they would know good and evil, but was lying when it said that they would not die.

13. Brian2

Brian2 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,834
    Religion:
    Christian
    I think I answered your point in my first post to you. We are all perpetrators and all victims. God offers forgiveness to all of us if we accept the offer.
    If that is an immoral offer by God in your mind then so be it.

14. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +40,293
    Religion:
    Atheist
    You are going ignoring the lie of God and the context of that conversation. You are also ignoring Genesis 3 : 22.

15. Brian2

Brian2 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,834
    Religion:
    Christian
    Gen 3:22 shows that [email protected] were not immortal to begin with but eating from the tree of life would give them immortality.
    So God is ensuring that they do not do that by blocking access to that tree and kicking them out of the garden.
    I'm not sure what your point is about Gen 3:22.
    The question about what God said is about "on the day".
    This helps make what God said into a statement of judgement that was certain (like what David said here 1 Kings 2:37)
    Some however want [email protected] to die that same day and say that they died spiritually that day (lost fellowship with God) or that they died within 1000 years (a day by God's reckoning)
    Some say that none of these is right and that the author was just plain stupid and contradicted himself within a few verses, and nobody corrected the mistake after that.
    I prefer the 1 Kings 2:37 explanation, meaning that God was saying that they will know on the day that they eat the fruit that they will certainly die.
    Spiritual death imo has something in it also and the tree of life was just to give them physical immortality.

16. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +40,293
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Authors. When it comes to Genesis there was clearly more than one author was involved. And when folklore is put together in such a manner self contradictions are almost guaranteed

• Like Like x 1
  17. John D. Brey

John D. Brey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +543
    Religion:
    Christian
    We (or I) probably shouldn't say "many or most" were "avowed" atheists. But some were secular persons who purchased their way into the papacy for reasons other than service to God. And if I recall correctly some weren't even secretive about their disdain for god-belief.

John

18. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +40,293
    Religion:
    Atheist
    If that is the case then you should be able to support it. Some Christians also conflate a disdain for people that strongly portray their religious belief with a lack of belief in that person. Just because a person mocks some Christians for their beliefs does not make that person not a Christian..

• Like Like x 1
  19. YoursTrue

Ratings:
    +1,894
    Religion:
    Christian
    Just as a thought, you've analyzed all of them and come to the conclusion there is no God, is that it?

20. YoursTrue

Ratings:
    +1,894
    Religion:
    Christian
    It makes sense as you say, that the judgment was passed on the day they ate from that tree.
    Furthermore, upon looking at the description in the Bible, a lot happened on that 'day.' naming the animals, making Eve from Adam's rib, she meeting the serpent, giving the fruit to Adam. A LOT HAPPENED in a 24-hour period if @Subduction Zone's persistent take on it is to even be considered. Plus, yes, while it might be deep, the 7th Day is not said to be over. Every other day had a beginning and an end. Not the 7th day.