• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could you be wrong?

Jos

So your not asking if a non believer may be wrong...
No.
I believe in the afterlife - but I can’t explain the science of belief to you (not You personally)
All I want to know is why anyone believes that there's an afterlife.
Do you believe your family loves you?

Why do you believe your family loves you?
I know you have examples, but I wanna know why you believe it - if it’s just the examples of Love - that’s good enough for me - but I think that answer is not good enough for you..
Idk, because of how they treat me. I guess that could be considered to be an example but I don't really have anything else.

Jos

Biblically speaking a person is 'Not death proof' because the wages sin pays is: death, Not being alive after death.
How is dying after death a punishment? If someone dies after death rather than being tormented forever that seems more like an act of mercy than an act of punishment.

Lee Hays

No.

All I want to know is why anyone believes that there's an afterlife.

Idk, because of how they treat me. I guess that could be considered to be an example but I don't really have anything else.

Do you love your family? Why?

I believe because:
I would rather believe and it not be true, than not believe and then turns out to be true...

Lee Hays

Good question ^ above ^ , an inquiring mind wants to know.
I too would like to know why anyone believes in an afterlife because there is a BIG difference between the afterlife teaching and the Bible's teaching about a coming Resurrection.
Afterlife implies a person is immortal and even more alive after death than before death.
Whereas, Resurrection is future, as found at Acts of the Apostles 24:15 that there ' is going to be ' a resurrection.....
Biblically speaking a person is 'Not death proof' because the wages sin pays is: death, Not being alive after death.

Believing that Christ saved us - mean we will never die.

David T

Premium Member
"No afterlife exists"

My best guess is that there is life after my death. Just a guess though. I have no proof since i am not dead, and when I am dead i certainly wont care. Off grid with no internet sounds nice actually.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Is the word Hell - come from Greek word ... Buried -
Is that right - I think that’s what your talking about...
Does the Bible say - for 3 days? Or is that the time Jesus spent buried?
Dead Jesus was in biblical hell (grave) Acts 2:27 for parts of 3 days.
Hell is an English word and in Scripture hades/haides for grave ( aka buried )
Sheol is the Hebrew word for grave ( I suppose one could also say buried )
KJV translated the word Gehenna into English as hellfire.
Gehenna was just a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where dead things were destroyed forever, Not burning forever.
So, in Scripture Gehenna stands for destruction, and as in Psalms 92:7 that the wicked will be 'destroyed forever'.

Lee Hays

Dead Jesus was in biblical hell (grave) Acts 2:27 for parts of 3 days.
Hell is an English word and in Scripture hades/haides for grave ( aka buried )
Sheol is the Hebrew word for grave ( I suppose one could also say buried )
KJV translated the word Gehenna into English as hellfire.
Gehenna was just a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where dead things were destroyed forever, Not burning forever.
So, in Scripture Gehenna stands for destruction, and as in Psalms 92:7 that the wicked will be 'destroyed forever'.

That’s it
Thank you!!

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Believing that Christ saved us - mean we will never die.
We will never die that forever ' second death ' as mentioned at Revelation 21:8.
(John 3:13) Those who died before Jesus (includes King David - Acts of the Apostles 2:34) are still dead.
The wages or price tag that sin pays is: 'death' according to Romans 6:23,7
So, if anyone is a sinner one dies - Ezekiel 18:4,20.
Because we can't stop sinning is why we die.
Since we can Not resurrect oneself or another we need someone who can resurrect us ( bring us back to life )
Jesus can and will resurrect the sleeping dead - Revelation 1:18; Psalms 115:17; Ecclesiastes 9:5; John 11:11-14.
Because of the Resurrection Hope is why God considers faithful dead as being alive.
That is how sure the Resurrection Hope is through Jesus' ransom price for us - Matthew 20:28.

Lee Hays

"No afterlife exists"

My best guess is that there is life after my death. Just a guess though. I have no proof since i am not dead, and when I am dead i certainly wont care. Off grid with no internet sounds nice actually.

There is life after you die (for everyone else.. cuz you dead)

Jos

Do you love your family? Why?

I believe because:
I would rather believe and it not be true, than not believe and then turns out to be true...
It is deeper than that - but I hope that makes some sense of why I would believe..
So you believe there's an afterlife because you would rather believe there is one than not believe there is one?

Lee Hays

So you believe there's an afterlife because you would rather believe there is one than not believe there is one?

Not only “because”
But I think that’s the most logical answer (outside of Christianity)
Something that I feel - non Christians (could possibly) agree with.

Jos

Not only “because”
That doesn't sound like a good reason... you want something to be true therefore it's true? How is that reasonable? Wishing that something is true doesn't make it true.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
"No afterlife exists"
My best guess is that there is life after my death. ........

Most people I find are taught they are death proof, Not mortal thus taught they keep alive after death.
In Scripture there is life after death but it is ' future life ' via future resurrection.
That is why Acts of the Apostles 24:15 uses the ' future tense' that there ' is going to be ' a resurrection....
In other words, an earthly-physical resurrection will take place during Jesus' coming 1,000-year reign over Earth.
The majority of people can have a happy-and-healthy physical resurrection of sound heart, mind and body with the opportunity to live forever (everlasting life) on a beautiful paradisical Earth as Eden was a sample.
This is why we are all invited to pray the invitation of Revelation 22:20 for Jesus to come !
We are Not asked to pray to be ' taken away ' to Jesus, Nor pray to be ' taken up ' to Jesus but for Jesus to come!
Come and bring the blessing benefit of Revelation 22:2 for the ' healing ' of earth's nations.
Healing as described in Isaiah 35th chapter.

Jos

Most people I find are taught they are death proof, Not mortal thus taught they keep alive after death.
In Scripture there is life after death but it is ' future life ' via future resurrection.
That is why Acts of the Apostles 24:15 uses the ' future tense' that there ' is going to be ' a resurrection....
In other words, an earthly-physical resurrection will take place during Jesus' coming 1,000-year reign over Earth.
The majority of people can have a happy-and-healthy physical resurrection of sound heart, mind and body with the opportunity to live forever (everlasting life) on a beautiful paradisical Earth as Eden was a sample.
This is why we are all invited to pray the invitation of Revelation 22:20 for Jesus to come !
We are Not asked to pray to be ' taken away ' to Jesus, Nor pray to be ' taken up ' to Jesus but for Jesus to come!
Come and bring the blessing benefit of Revelation 22:2 for the ' healing ' of earth's nations.
Healing as described in Isaiah 35th chapter.
How is dying after death a punishment? If someone dies after death rather than being tormented forever that seems more like an act of mercy than an act of punishment.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Not only “because”

Most people ' feel ' that way since that non-Christian told the first lie recorded at Genesis 3:4

Lee Hays

That doesn't sound like a good reason... you want something to be true therefore it's true? How is that reasonable? Wishing that something is true doesn't make it true.

Why would you care if what I believe is reasonable?
And your response is obviously prepared - before my comment.
I would rather believe and it not be true (I’m obviously saying - I’m ok if it’s not true - I still believe - that’s not what you say “I want it to be true so I believe - your wrong about that).
It was true before me - so how could my wishes make anything true?

MJFlores

Ecclesiastes 9:5-6 New International Version (NIV)
For the living know that they will die,
but the dead know nothing;
they have no further reward,
and even their name is forgotten.
Their love, their hate
and their jealousy have long since vanished;
never again will they have a part
in anything that happens under the sun.

images

When we die, we sleep.
We return to the ground and rot.
Our soul dies with us.
And the breath of life returns to God who gave it. [Ecclesiastes 12:7]
We do not wake and our thoughts perish.
All our emotions are gone [Psalms 146:4]
We are no better than the animals in death [Ecclesiastes 3:19-20]
We all wait in the grave [Job 14:10-12]

Wait for what?
One day, that appointed time when we will be judged [II Peter 3:7,10]
according to what we have done
We will wake up.
Our flesh and bones returns to us
Our soul and spirit returns to our body
And we all face the one who will judge us all. [Acts 17:31]

However, I could be wrong in which case, I must ensure I take my suitcase of asbestos clothing with me to hell.

I believe there were people who died, who in their wrong belief in the scheme of things, prepared for themselves material riches and even an army to follow them in the after life - which they miserably failed.

upload_2019-6-19_8-23-12.jpeg
upload_2019-6-19_8-23-28.jpeg

My ancestors and your ancestors who have long died are not in heaven or in hell or even the man-made purgatory. They are all asleep in the cemetery or some parts unknown. They are all waiting in their sleep.
We are all waiting for?

upload_2019-6-19_8-29-48.jpeg

Matthew 25:31-46 New International Version (NIV)
“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

images

Jos

Why would you care if what I believe is reasonable?
And your response is obviously prepared - before my comment.
I would rather believe and it not be true (I’m obviously saying - I’m ok if it’s not true - I still believe - that’s not what you say “I want it to be true so I believe - your wrong about that).
It was true before me - so how could my wishes make anything true?
Ok man believe whatever you want. I don't want to argue with you. I just wanted to know why you believe what you believe. I'm confused as to why you believe though but whatever.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I wonder who said dying after (or at) death is a punishment.
Dying is simply the result of sin.
Because we can't stop sinning is why we die.
Because we can't resurrect oneself or another is why we need someone to resurrect us ( restore life to us ).
There is No torment /torture in death just 'unconscious sleep' as per Ecclesiastes 9:5; Psalms 115:17; John 11:11-14.
Only the wicked will be punished meaning punished with 'destruction'. Destroyed forever as per Psalms 92:7.
God sending pre-human Jesus to Earth for us is an ' act of mercy ' on God's part.
Jesus' faithful death made Jesus the someone to resurrect us. Rescue us from future sin and death.
Via resurrection, our last enemy ' death ' will be brought to nothing as per 1 Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8