• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could you be wrong?

JJ50

I am of the opinion that no god or afterlife exists, and that much of what is attributed to Jesus is exaggerated or untrue. However, I could be wrong in which case, I must ensure I take my suitcase of asbestos clothing with me to hell.

Are others, whether believers or unbelievers, ready to admit that it is possible their stance on matters of faith could be wrong?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I could be wrong that a God might possibly exist and that there might be an afterlife. In which case, I won't be seeing any of you in heaven. Or hell.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
There are other things I can be wrong about too. I haven't tried to verify my mom is my mom, so all this time, I could have been part of a super-religious family for nothing.

JJ50

There are other things I can be wrong about too. I haven't tried to verify my mom is my mom, so all this time, I could have been part of a super-religious family for nothing.

Have you a valid reason to believe that she might not be your mother?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Have you a valid reason to believe that she might not be your mother?

I don't. But here's the thing. In my mind consists maybe 500 things I am pretty sure about. Surely at least one of those things could be wrong, and depending on what it is, it could be a real shocker.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I am of the opinion that no god or afterlife exists, and that much of what is attributed to Jesus is exaggerated or untrue. However, I could be wrong in which case, I must ensure I take my suitcase of asbestos clothing with me to hell.

Are others, whether believers or unbelievers, ready to admit that it is possible their stance on matters of faith could be wrong?

This is a tricky question in some sense.

There are two points to address in that context, imo:
1. the theistic claims I explicitly reject as being false / wrong
2. the theistic claims concerning which I "technically" reserve judgement

First of all, in scientific context, we could technically be wrong about every model we came up with to describe / explain reality. There is nothing inherent in the universe which, for example, makes it impossible that the universe and everything it contains, including our memories of having lived our entire lives, was created just 5 seconds ago. The thing is that there is no reason to believe that.

Next, there is this idea in science that science is incapable of proving things (models in particular). "proving" as in: resulting in certainty. However, what science CAN do, is DISprove things (models in particular). Science can show how a model of reality is false, by taking testable predictions of that model, testing them and then observing that it doesn't work. This means the model is false or at least incomplete. If the test is succesfull however, then we did not just "prove" the model. Instead, we merely have shown that the data is consistent with it.

So, having said that and with that in mind, I can address the question concerning the two points.

1. Here, my answer is no. I can not be wrong about those things that have been shown to be false, since they have already been shown. Take the (literal) biblical flood story and the mega massive extinction wave that must have necessarily taken place at that time. This predicts MASSIVE genetic bottlenecks in ALL species. If these bottlenecks aren't there, then the model is false or at best incomplete (which in this context would be the same as "false" - since it doesn't work / can't account for the evidence as presented).

2. To be honest, since I'm technically reservering judgement until evidence comes up one way or the other, there is also no way I am "wrong" here, since there is nothing to be "wrong" about..... I don't believe that a God exists. I also don't believe that a God does not exist. "To believe" = to accept as true / accurate. I have the exact same data at my disposal for each claim ("god exists" and "god does not exist") and in both cases it is hilariously lacking to be able to make any kind of assessment of these claims in terms of truth value.

However, considering the mega outlandishness of these claims, the extra ordinary nature thereof, the unfalsifiability of it all, the complete lack of even only a hint one way or the other.... It seems to me that the world is a LOT more consistent with the model that says that there are no gods, then it is with the models that say there are....

So for all practical intents and purposes, I will live my life as if no such gods exists.

Could I be "wrong" to not believe the claims of theism?

Sure. I could also be wrong about the Great JuJu at the bottom of the sea, about bigfoot, about alien abduction, about whalhalla, about scientology,..... I could be wrong about ANY unfalsifiable, undemonstrated, unevidenced and baseless claim.

I could even be wrong about sensible non-supernatural models of reality that HAVE supportive evidence and which have NO contradicting evidence at present.... so obviously I could be wrong about unfalsifiable religious models as well.

However, it doesn't look like I am. There certainly is no data at all to even only suggest such.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member

Yes, I think it is entirely possible my beliefs are wrong

I'd say that I'm 95% sure they are true

The other 5% is me keeping an open mind

One must always have an open mind

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Yes, I think it is entirely possible my beliefs are wrong

I'd say that I'm 95% sure they are true

The other 5% is me keeping an open mind

One must always have an open mind

I respect your opinion. But really it's that extra 5 percent that is always shocking in life. For example, my mom is a religious conservative. I never would have guessed that as a teenager, she was into occult. And many things I have "discovered" were a big shock. Such as that my grandfather was squirreling away money to support the secret kids of his sister who had a secret affair.

Genesis 9:5 5 But your blood, of your souls, I will demand [an account]; from the hand of every beast I will demand it, and from the hand of man, from the hand of each man, his brother, I will demand the soul of man.
There is an afterlife (my bold emphasis above) and there is a God, who does not operate on this earth, because God gave us freewill. Why this verse? because all the verses in genesis are sacred, there being no human self-interested parties
can I prove that God or the afterlife exists? of course not, but it exists for me and that is the best I can do

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Defer to the agnostic worldview. I seriously doubt beyond any reasonable doubt that the Biblical heaven and hell exist.

A Vestigial Mote

I could be wrong, yes. A God may be something that warrants belief, and the evidence just isn't compelling to me.

For me to be wrong, it would have to mean that the evidence for God IS compelling, and it is just that I am of the wrong mindset, or obstinate, etc. Because that's the reason I don't believe the claims. Not because I just don't want to, or will never admit I was wrong... if God revealed Himself to humanity and went nuts verifying His existence, I'd be a fool not to believe. Not saying I'd worship, mind you - that would still be a far, far way off. But I would immediately admit that perhaps I didn't give the evidence that did exist a fair shake.

dianaiad

I could be wrong. I'm wrong a lot.

However, I'm going to behave as if I'm not.

Wrong, that is.

That's called 'faith.'

One thing I DO know: If the argument is "there is an afterlife" (my position) against "there isn't," I'm the only one who can have the last word. Win/win. I like when that happens.