• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could those angels who rebelled in heaven have received salvation?

AdamjEdgar

Rev 12: 7Then a war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back. 8But the dragon was not strong enough, and no longer was any place found in heaven for him and his angels. 9And the great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.

vs 12 Therefore rejoice, O heavens, and you who dwell in them! But woe to the earth and the sea; with great fury the devil has come down to you, knowing he has only a short time.”

Clearly the Devil and his angels were condemned to death after they rebelled and were cast out of heaven.

We know that Jesus offered salvation to mankind on this world...

John 3:16
16For God so loved the world that He gave His one and onlye Son, that everyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

1. Was salvation on offer to Satan and his angels who rebelled?
2. If salvation was on offer, how then might that have looked given that he rebelled before Adam and Eve sinned? No plan of salvation had been given to mankind as they [Adam and Eve] had not yet sinned!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Fan fiction debates can be fun. Perhaps the angels are intelligent enough to be without excuse. It's But then why did they rebel in the first place? It is a bit of a conundrum. It appears that no matter how you approach rebelling angels problem there is a problem with the concept of an all knowing, all loving, omnipotent God.

The story seems to tell us that God clearly is not all powerful, or all knowing.

Ella S.

Dispassionate Goth
Fan fiction debates can be fun. Perhaps the angels are intelligent enough to be without excuse. It's But then why did they rebel in the first place? It is a bit of a conundrum. It appears that no matter how you approach rebelling angels problem there is a problem with the concept of an all knowing, all loving, omnipotent God.

The story seems to tell us that God clearly is not all powerful, or all knowing.

It depends on what you mean by "all loving." All loving might just mean that God supports our free will to make our own decisions and that he's willing to apply the laws of nature equally to everyone.

Sure, you might argue that if you were to love someone, you would also want to care for them. But does caring for them mean that you will treat them with unfair favor, bending the rules everyone else is expected to play within just for their sake? I think it does, but some people might argue that, in order to love everyone, these natural laws must be enforced equally.

Of course, this contradicts scripture, doesn't it? God intervenes quite a lot in scripture, even directly interfering with free will when he hardens the heart of the pharaoh, for instance. Then again, the God in these earlier myths was only "all powerful" in the sense of having supreme authority and being the most powerful being, not necessarily being completely omnipotent. He gets defeated by iron chariots and loses Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, as examples.

He's also not all-knowing, because he regrets making mankind and loses track of where Jonah is, among other examples. He is seen as an extremely wise figure, however, and "omniscience" comes from the concept of being all-wise. Both "omniscient" and "omnipotent" have been applied to humans in these ways, too.

So it could be the case that God, out of love for the beings he created, gave them the free will to choose their own thoughts and actions. He even created a paradise for them where they could enjoy the pleasures of his love forever if they want to, but both mankind and the angels chose to disrupt this paradise and so they had to be given their own realms so that they didn't disrupt those who remained in paradise. This would be the material earth for fallen humans and Hell for the fallen angels.

These realms only ended up being so much worse because of the abuses of free will. Natural disasters are caused by demons, suffering entered the world due to original sin, and so on. None of this was God's intended design, but he allowed both man and angels to use the worlds he gave us however we wanted to out of a love and respect for our individuality. He only intervened in order to try to let people know that they still have the choice to join him again in paradise, but this prbably hasn't worked out quite as well as he wanted it to.

Ella S.

Dispassionate Goth

I know my above apologia sounds like a lot of speculation, but this was a frequent narrative in Christianity during the middle ages. I guess my point is that there genuinely was a time where Christianity was coherent and there were a lot of brilliant, respectable thinkers who could affirm Christianity without much of a hassle.

Of course, the narrative I presented above only works with the early Christian perspective that God created multiple physical heavens above the earth, each lower one being an imperfect reflection of the higher one with loosened requirements of moral purity the further down you go. Adam and Even were literally formed in a higher Heaven about 6,000 years ago and then literally "fell" down to earth after being cast out. This is the only way the above narrative really makes sense.

Since the invention of the telescope, we have known that such heavens don't exist. Since deep time and evolution, we have realized that Adam and Eve didn't exist and the earth is much older, that the suffering on earth is a product of natural forces and not original sin, and so on.

Modern religion, particularly Christian theology, has shifted the goalposts massively. God was originally just another sky father archetype, common among ancient religions in that area. In order to both keep up with scientific findings and distance God from his pagan roots, he became progressively loftier and more unfalsifiable. Now he's omnipotent and omniscient, and his heavenly abode exists in some dubious "other realm" rather than resting on top of the celestial spheres. The Garden of Eden is no longer a literal garden, but a metaphor for some spiritual plane or mystical state of consciousness.

Theologians will say that they have merely gained a deeper insight into the true meaning of their scriptures over the centuries, guided by the holy spirit and these findings from science. You and I see that as the unfalsifiable hogwash it is, but I just wanted to point out that Christianity wasn't always resting on such dubious foundations. There was a time where it made sense and it was genuinely rational to believe in. That's just not really the case today.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
We aren't told...not really much point in speculating about things scripture is silent about. But I believe God being merciful probably did offer salvation to the fallen angels.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Rev 12: 7Then a war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back. 8But the dragon was not strong enough, and no longer was any place found in heaven for him and his angels. 9And the great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.

vs 12 Therefore rejoice, O heavens, and you who dwell in them! But woe to the earth and the sea; with great fury the devil has come down to you, knowing he has only a short time.”

Clearly the Devil and his angels were condemned to death after they rebelled and were cast out of heaven.

16For God so loved the world that He gave His one and onlye Son, that everyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

2. If salvation was on offer, how then might that have looked given that he rebelled before Adam and Eve sinned? No plan of salvation had been given to mankind as they [Adam and Eve] had not yet sinned!
No. Salvation was not to Satan and his angels who rebelled... Nor Adam and Eve.

As you correctly said, "...the Devil and his angels were condemned to death after they rebelled... We know that Jesus offered salvation to mankind on this world..."

Jesus' sacrifice was provided to cover the sin of the world John 1:29; John 3:16; 1 John 2:2;

You also said, "...No plan of salvation had been given to mankind as they [Adam and Eve] had not yet sinned.

That is also correct.
(Luke 11:50-51) 50 so that the blood of all the prophets spilled from the founding of the world may be charged against this generation, 51 from the blood of Abel down to the blood of Zechariah, who was killed between the altar and the house.’. . .

The founding (foundation in some translations) of the world, is from Abel, according to Jesus.
So, it was Adam's offspring that Jesus opened the way to salvation for.
Those exercising faith, would have their sins pardoned, and have the prospect of eternal life.

Hence, only sinful mankind, from Abel to our day, could gain salvation.
All rebels before, fall into the bracket of "the unforgivable sin".
The angels all were perfect. Adam and Eve as well.
Mankind - Adam's offspring, on the other hand, were all born imperfect - sinful. Psalms 51:5; Romans 3:23; Romans 5:12

AdamjEdgar

No. Salvation was not to Satan and his angels who rebelled... Nor Adam and Eve.

As you correctly said, "...the Devil and his angels were condemned to death after they rebelled... We know that Jesus offered salvation to mankind on this world..."

Jesus' sacrifice was provided to cover the sin of the world John 1:29; John 3:16; 1 John 2:2;

You also said, "...No plan of salvation had been given to mankind as they [Adam and Eve] had not yet sinned.

That is also correct.
(Luke 11:50-51) 50 so that the blood of all the prophets spilled from the founding of the world may be charged against this generation, 51 from the blood of Abel down to the blood of Zechariah, who was killed between the altar and the house.’. . .

The founding (foundation in some translations) of the world, is from Abel, according to Jesus.
So, it was Adam's offspring that Jesus opened the way to salvation for.
Those exercising faith, would have their sins pardoned, and have the prospect of eternal life.

Hence, only sinful mankind, from Abel to our day, could gain salvation.
All rebels before, fall into the bracket of "the unforgivable sin".
The angels all were perfect. Adam and Eve as well.
Mankind - Adam's offspring, on the other hand, were all born imperfect - sinful. Psalms 51:5; Romans 3:23; Romans 5:12

The problem with this idea that Salvation was not offered to angels who sided with Lucifer is:

"God is love" 1John 4:7

I Corinthians 13: 4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no account of wrongs. 6Love takes no pleasure in evil, but rejoices in the truth. 7It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.8Love never fails.

The Ten Commandments are a mirror reflecting the glory of God. They are an exposition of His love. As redeemed people who bear His name in the world, God calls us to live lives of love that reflect who He is. And what that looks like is spelled out in the Ten Commandments. The Ten Commandments Are a Mirror Reflecting God’s Glory | Open the Bible

We know that God is universal, he exists in all dimensions and he is also eternal. If the law is able to condemn those who do not follow it, then it must also apply to the angels in heaven (otherwise by what mechanism did they rebel against God if there is no law applicable to heavenly beings?)

If there is a law applicable to heavenly beings, then it goes without saying that the grace extended to us must also apply to them (irrespective of what one may think they read in the bible). One cannot use the argument "angels are perfect and should know better", Adam and Eve were also created without blemish and i would argue perfect. They are also His creation just like angels:

For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. Colossions 1:16

If God is love, then he must forgive and offer forgiveness even to the angels who rebelled. SDA's believe that 1/6th of the angels who rebelled were in fact won back over to God (that belief is not what drives this question and does not really have anything to do with it however)

nPeace

Veteran Member
The problem with this idea that Salvation was not offered to angels who sided with Lucifer is:

I Corinthians 13: 4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no account of wrongs. 6Love takes no pleasure in evil, but rejoices in the truth. 7It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.8Love never fails.

The Ten Commandments are a mirror reflecting the glory of God. They are an exposition of His love. As redeemed people who bear His name in the world, God calls us to live lives of love that reflect who He is. And what that looks like is spelled out in the Ten Commandments. The Ten Commandments Are a Mirror Reflecting God’s Glory | Open the Bible

We know that God is universal, he exists in all dimensions and he is also eternal. If the law is able to condemn those who do not follow it, then it must also apply to the angels in heaven (otherwise by what mechanism did they rebel against God if there is no law applicable to heavenly beings?)

If there is a law applicable to heavenly beings, then it goes without saying that the grace extended to us must also apply to them (irrespective of what one may think they read in the bible). One cannot use the argument "angels are perfect and should know better", Adam and Eve were also created without blemish and i would argue perfect. They are also His creation just like angels:

For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. Colossions 1:16

If God is love, then he must forgive and offer forgiveness even to the angels who rebelled. SDA's believe that 1/6th of the angels who rebelled were in fact won back over to God (that belief is not what drives this question and does not really have anything to do with it however)
Do you think that God's love limits or makes void, God's justice, and righteousness?
Matthew 12:31-32; Mark 3:29; Hebrews 6:4-6

I do understand why it is, people tend to separate God's attributes, and make some distinct, or extinct.
The Jews had a similar problem. Zephaniah 1:12

AdamjEdgar

Do you think that God's love limits or makes void, God's justice, and righteousness?
Matthew 12:31-32; Mark 3:29; Hebrews 6:4-6

I do understand why it is, people tend to separate God's attributes, and make some distinct, or extinct.
The Jews had a similar problem. Zephaniah 1:12
I am not following what you mean?

nPeace

Veteran Member
I am not following what you mean?
It's not clear? I must be losing my skill. :)

You said:
...as though to say, God is love, so nothing else about God matters - his standards of justice, and righteousness do not matter.

That's the way it translates to me... true justice - the administration of the law or authority in maintaining what is right - true righteousness, is not perfectly balanced with love, but is ignored, because of love.
I'm asking if that is your view. It is evidently the view of many. I haven't been successful is getting many atheists to recognize that... Or maybe they do, but just want to argue against it. I can't know that.

I referenced scriptures where Jesus highlighted God's true Justice - Matthew 12:31-32; Mark 3:29; Hebrews 6:4-6
I think he does a good job of showing why God never will grant repentance to anyone who fits into that state... because of God's righteousness and justice. God is fair, and does what is right.
Our feelings do not get in the way of God administering that.

God's children would see, when God does not allow sentimentality (which many people mistakenly call love) to cause him to ignore justice, and doing what is right.
(Deuteronomy 10:17) . . .who treats none with partiality; nor accepts a bribe.

The reason I referenced Zephaniah 1:12 is because the Jews had this problem.
They felt that they could sin, and God woud overlook their sin. They probably thought they could presume on God's mercy - God's love.

Some of us tend to separate God's attributes, and make some distinct, or extinct, because we want to do the same. Some who identify themselves as Christian, have actually said God does not kill anyone.
Clearly, they allow their feelings to warp their thinking, causing them to twist the scriptures to fit their view... or completely ignore them.

Did I make it any clearer? :)
I noticed you said "If God is love, then he must forgive and offer forgiveness even to the angels who rebelled."
Do you think that if God does not forgive, then God is doing wrong?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
When I was a Christian, I was adamant that orginal sin was in heaven, and not on earth, so Adam and Eve shouldn't be blamed for sin but the angels.

nPeace

Veteran Member
When I was a Christian, I was adamant that orginal sin was in heaven, and not on earth, so Adam and Eve shouldn't be blamed for sin but the angels.
I believe a lot of people felt that way also.
In fact, some today still believe that we are not responsible for our sins, but the Devil is. Hence, the expression "the Devil made me do it."
Then, the idea that we cannot really help ourselves, arrived.

I heard contrary, from other people. They said, the Devil really has no power... except you allow him, and really you are responsible for your actions.
I too, believed things that I was taught, in church, which the Bible never did say.

The Bible does tell us the Devil sinned, but it also tells us Adam sinned.
The difference between the two, is that the Devil's sin was not passed down. Adam's sin was. Romans 5:12
It reads - That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because they had all sinned
Verse 14 reads... Nevertheless, death ruled as king from Adam down to Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the same way that Adam transgressed, who bears a resemblance to the one who was to come.

Jesus said that the sinning on the part of some men was in immitation of the Devil. John 8:44
Adam's sin was a deliberate siding with the Devil - a rebellion. 1 Timothy 2:14

Many go to church, but aren't aware of this either.

AdamjEdgar

I believe a lot of people felt that way also.
In fact, some today still believe that we are not responsible for our sins, but the Devil is. Hence, the expression "the Devil made me do it."
Then, the idea that we cannot really help ourselves, arrived.

I heard contrary, from other people. They said, the Devil really has no power... except you allow him, and really you are responsible for your actions.
I too, believed things that I was taught, in church, which the Bible never did say.

The Bible does tell us the Devil sinned, but it also tells us Adam sinned.
The difference between the two, is that the Devil's sin was not passed down. Adam's sin was. Romans 5:12
It reads - That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because they had all sinned
Verse 14 reads... Nevertheless, death ruled as king from Adam down to Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the same way that Adam transgressed, who bears a resemblance to the one who was to come.

Jesus said that the sinning on the part of some men was in immitation of the Devil. John 8:44
Adam's sin was a deliberate siding with the Devil - a rebellion. 1 Timothy 2:14

Many go to church, but aren't aware of this either.
It is my belief that in the Sanctuary Service in the Bible, there was one day per year set aside for the cleansing process...The Day of Atonement. The final act of the festival which included this day, saw the Priest lay his hands on the scapegoat and transfer the responsibility for all sin onto the scapegoat which is then sent out into the wilderness.

Leviticus 16:20 When Aaron has finished purifying the Most Holy Place, the Tent of Meeting, and the altar, he is to bring forward the live goat. 21Then he is to lay both hands on the head of the live goat and confess over it all the iniquities and rebellious acts of the Israelites in regard to all their sins. He is to put them on the goat’s head and send it away into the wilderness by the hand of a man appointed for the task. 22The goat will carry on itself all their iniquities into a solitary place, and the man will release it into the wilderness.

The point of the above is, the scapegoat bore the responsibility for all sin. That scapegoat is Satan. So whilst he did not comitt the sins of men who have freewill, he is certainly responsible for them.​

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
It's funny how things work sometimes. From what i understand, the dishonorable one's seem to be given more honor than those who are umm, more honorable. I suspect this would be true with "fallen angels" also. That's the Christian premise anyway. You only need a doctor if you're sick right? You only need honor if you lack ... or something like that. Then again, honor is not a common trait anymore. We put on this face and that face, go to this club donate to the other and we say what people want to hear, but inside we're not always the way we present ourselves to others. Survival techniques and defense mechanisms get the better of a lot of us. How about this thought: We're all fallen and we could all use a little more refinement. There. I said it. Where's the heart fire and empathy? How about sympathy then? I'm no angel, but I'm down here with the rest of the fallen crowd. Go figure ...

Have we received salvation? We're always in process. That's life.

wellwisher

If you read Revelations, after the Second Coming and the Rapture; Satan and his Angels are taken prisoner and are bound for 1000 years, during the 1000 year Reign of Peace when Jesus once again lives among his people. After that reign of peace is over, Satan and his Angels are released on parole; after their 1000 years of penance.

Did they repent in earnest? The answer is, they did their time, but once released on parole, they used it as an opportunity to gather the armies of the Earth, for a final doomsday battle, for all of humanity. They had a chance to repent, but they were con artists buying their time, and would meet their doom; Lake of Fire. Their essence was not destroyed by the fire, but they are isolated, since they will always set a bad example for the humans; sent to a retirement home for villains.

Atheist, who are borderline, Agnostics, want freedom to choose good and evil, but also want to option for last minute repentance. The lessons of Revelation and Satan is to learn that mercy is not just for the sinners, but also for their victims. Sometimes victim mercy require criminal isolation away from all their potential victims.

In Revelations, after the dooms day battle, the old heaven and earth disappear; that past is over. God then creates a new heaven and earth. This time, Satan is not part of it. Satan and his crew are retiring somewhere where it is warm. In the New Earth, the tree of life appears with its twelve types of fruit and its leaves for healing the nations. This is an advanced neural operating system that allows humans to become advance natural animals; advanced natural human instincts.

101G

there has never been a war in the third heaven where God resides and above. no holy angel; rebelled there. the heaven here is on earth where the PRINCE OF THE "AIR/HEAVEN", which air is symbolic for the heaven of our sky/atmosphere. the devil seat or place was not found in the third heaven anymore, because we are seated in heavenly places now. this war refers.to principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world. this war took place after the christ birth. the name "Michael" is symbolically here for the Lord Jesus, for the Name Michael means "LIKE GOD". and this "WAR" is spiritual. Ephesians 6:10 "Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Verse 11 "Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. Verse 12 "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Verse 13 "Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Verse 14 "Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; verse 15 "And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; verse 16 "Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. Verse 17 "And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: verse 18 "Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints”

101G.

SDavis

Rev 12: 7Then a war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back. 8But the dragon was not strong enough, and no longer was any place found in heaven for him and his angels. And the great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.

What I think is odd: I see where the Bible says the Earth is under judgment because the prince of this world has been judged BUT nowhere do I see the one third of angels who followed him are judged nowhere.

In the Book of Revelation Satan, the Beast, and the antichrist, and those spirits in human flesh are cast into the lake of fire - no mention of the 1/3 of angels that follow Satan there either - sorry anywhere in the Book of Revelation other than *they were cast down to earth.*

Jude does give reference to the angels held in chains of darkness until judgment who left their first habitation.

Why is it often some things can be assumed to have occurred but other things are not because it is not written in Scripture.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Also dispels freewill givin the fate layed out in Revelations for insolence and rebellion.