• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could they survive like this on average?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Back when I lived in Montana and there were mountains and woods all over the place, one of the things I wanted to do was rescue as many dogs and cats from kill shelters and let them go deep in the woods and the mountains, leaving them some food of course.

Would they be able to on average survive very long in the woods or the mountains in your opinion?

I just hate hearing those encaged animals bark and meow in agony, but would not want to condemn them to a worse fate of starvation.

However, some of them might be able to survive. I wonder if they would stay together and reproduce. It's something I've always wanted to do because they might live very interesting lives, start colonies, and display some intriguing behaviors in the wild.

They might really appreciate the freedom and environment. Perhaps someone at RF can try it? Of course, not if it is illegal.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Side question:

When cats or dogs are put down (euthanized) is it morally wrong to eat their flesh as they do in some countries? I think raising them for that purpose is wrong, but if a shelter puts them to sleep, perhaps it would be better to make their death worth it rather than just let them decompose.

I'm not sure though if the lethal injection would make them unsafe to eat. I don't like the idea of eating a dog or cat, but some people clearly do, so maybe it would be better to feed somebody rather than just let the euthanized animals go to waste?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Back when I lived in Montana and there were mountains and woods all over the place, one of the things I wanted to do was rescue as many dogs and cats from kill shelters and let them go deep in the woods and the mountains, leaving them some food of course.

Would they be able to on average survive very long in the woods or the mountains in your opinion?

It depends on how they were raised. Most would likely die, as domesticated pets are not natural born hunters. Those that survived would become feral and live miserable lives in fear and killing what they could to stay alive.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Side question:

When cats or dogs are put down (euthanized) is it morally wrong to eat their flesh as they do in some countries? I think raising them for that purpose is wrong, but if a shelter puts them to sleep, perhaps it would be better to make their death worth it rather than just let them decompose.

I'm not sure though if the lethal injection would make them unsafe to eat. I don't like the idea of eating a dog or cat, but some people clearly do, so maybe it would be better to feed somebody rather than just let the euthanized animals go to waste?

Rational question.

My honest answer is: I don't know. But this discussion might help...

is it safe to eat the meat from a euthanased animal? – Health Zone

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

I just hate hearing those encaged animals bark and meow in agony, but would not want to condemn them to a worse fate of starvation.

However, some of them might be able to survive. I wonder if they would stay together and reproduce. It's something I've always wanted to do because they might live very interesting lives, start colonies, and display some intriguing behaviors in the wild.

They might really appreciate the freedom and environment. Perhaps someone at RF can try it? Of course, not if it is illegal.
Even for animals born and raised in the wild, life is usually brutal and short. Feral cats and dogs can and do survive, but if they haven't been raised to hunt for themselves, and to be wary, they will likely die at the claws and teeth of predators before they starve to death. I don't think it would be fun, but some might appreciate the opportunity for freedom.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Side question:

Many euthanized animals are handed over to science and medical colleges.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Even for animals born and raised in the wild, life is usually brutal and short. Feral cats and dogs can and do survive, but if they haven't been raised to hunt for themselves, and to be wary, they will likely die at the claws and teeth of predators before they starve to death. I don't think it would be fun, but some might appreciate the opportunity for freedom.
interesting that a Burmese python which lives it's full life in captivity and gets let go in Florida because it's too big, they seem to survive just fine as hunters, even though they never hunted in their entire life.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
interesting that a Burmese python which lives it's full life in captivity and gets let go in Florida because it's too big, they seem to survive just fine as hunters, even though they never hunted in their entire life.
not all of them survive when released, but reptiles are also not mammals. Snakes hunt instinctively. Dogs and cats, like most mammals, while having instincts, have to practice and learn how to do so. Also, there are few predators that can take on a good-sized python without significant risk of being strangled...

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
We once rescued a cat that had been trying to live wild. She was thin and crawling with fleas etc. I don't think she would have lasted more than a few more pain filled, miserable days.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
We once rescued a cat that had been trying to live wild. She was thin and crawling with fleas etc. I don't think she would have lasted more than a few more pain filled, miserable days.

Me and my wife adopted a female cat from a rescue shelter that was literally thrown out by its former owners to fend for itself because they bought a dog and didn't want the cat anymore. She was found in a condition similar to what you described.

She is with me and my wife to this day, and very very happy and extremely lovable. I think the sweetest gentlest cat I've ever known. She will never have to worry about shelter or food for the rest of her life.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

A. Most domestic animals will day if dumped in the wild, lonely, miserable and suffering.

B. The ones that DO survive will become feral, and live by killing native wildlife, and then have offspring who will go on to kill MORE wildlife. One cat killing one native bird doesn't seem like a huge deal. The problem compounds: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0006320717302719 Cats kill 272 MILLION birds in Australia a YEAR.

I love catrs and dogs, I've had them all my life, and have them now. However, irresponsible owners of these animals in Australia have led to MASSIVE environmental problems. Added to the deliberately introduced species like rabbits, foxes and cane toads here, it's very literally an environmental disaster.

So yeah, I understand wanting to save animals from kill shelters, but letting them loose "in the woods" would be even worse.

74x12

Only the ones who prove themselves worthy. They may be let go because they're so cool like that.

Besides Montana is cold --in winter-- so are they able to survive the cold first of all?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Only the ones who prove themselves worthy. They may be let go because they're so cool like that.

Besides Montana is cold --in winter-- so are they able to survive the cold first of all?
I've known of plenty of dogs and cats that survive outside in the winter in Montana. Minnesota, new York, and other places I've been have worst winters. And there are still dogs and cats outside during the coldest months.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
There was a black feral cat who frequented around the parking lot where I work; he was very friendly towards people. This cat was seen around for a few years; even having survived a few harsh winter conditions where winter overnight temperatures occasionally plunged to minus ten. That's ten degrees below zero Fahrenheit, mind you, not minus ten Celsius. Once, I saw the cat hunt down a large possum. Evidently, he wasn't totally dependent on people who fed him. So then, I believe a domesticated cat very well likely would be able to survive in the woods of Montana.

74x12

I've known of plenty of dogs and cats that survive outside in the winter in Montana. Minnesota, new York, and other places I've been have worst winters. And there are still dogs and cats outside during the coldest months.
A chihuahua?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
They're not a domesticated species.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Some would die and others would be feral. It's a horrible idea. As was mentioned, cats take a big toll on the natural wildlife when let out. I personally hate when people let their cats outside. Sometimes stray animals end up tortured and killed by sickos. You can't save them all. Just something you have to accept. People need to stop allowing their animals to breed out of control.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Side question:

We're not starving so there's no reason to do this. Most people would likely find it disgusting.