• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could the Jewish, Gypsy and other genocides in second world war have been prevented ?

ajay0

So here is a topic for discussion. The world has been very well educated on the genocides in the second world war through numerous books, research papers, museums, films, documentaries and so on.

Some of the documentaries I saw on the Holocaust in the cultural cinema institute in my town, were deeply touching. Same with Anne Frank's book, 'The autobiography of a little girl.' Could the Jewish, Gypsy, Slav genocides and slaughter of handicapped in the second world war have been prevented by foresight and international measures in any manner possible!

I am interested in any responses that suggest the affirmative, so that we can analyse all the factors that can prevent genocide.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So here is a topic for discussion. The world has been very well educated on the genocides in the second world war through numerous books, research papers, museums, films, documentaries and so on.

Some of the documentaries I saw on the Holocaust in the cultural cinema institute in my town, were deeply touching. Same with Anne Frank's book, 'The autobiography of a little girl.' Could the Jewish, Gypsy, Slav genocides and slaughter of handicapped in the second world war have been prevented by foresight and international measures in any manner possible!

I am interested in any responses that suggest the affirmative, so that we can analyse all the factors that can prevent genocide.

I suggest you read a book called the "The Gulag Archipelago" Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

Before the Holocaust, it was assumed that something like the Holocaust could never happen. Nations were civilized at the turn of the century.

There are plenty of atrocities occurring in the world. Most people are powerless to directly do anything about it, So generally while they may point it out, talk about it, mostly they hope it never impacts them in any way. Your neighbors are taking away in the middle of the night. If you speak out about it, you're likely to be next leaving your family to fend for themselves.

To prevent it would have cost a price most folks weren't willing to pay.

It's easy for us to talk about it now, criticize what occurred. Your speech is protected.

pearl

I don't think it can be overlooked that Germany was left in devastation post WWI.
The current adminstration's use of illegal immigrants from Mexico as scapegoats for economic hardships in the US is a perfect example. In Germany, Hitler used the Jewish people as a scapegoat for all of Germany's problems. With disproportional numbers of wealthy Jewish business owners, Hitler convinced much of Germany that the Jews were to blame for the poor economic state.

http://www.history.ucsb.edu/faculty/marcuse/classes/33d/projects/1920s/Econ20s.htm

HonestJoe

Things could have happened which would have avoided those specific genocides, though in many cases it would have taken almost supernatural foresight to predict the cause and effect. That doesn’t mean there’d be no genocides though, they’d just be different ones.

ajay0

"Who, after all, speaks today of the annihilation of the Armenians?" - Adolf Hitler (22 August 1939)

Adolf Hitler -- Statement on the Armenian Genocide

Could one say that it was general indifference, inertia and apathy to human rights violations and genocides in the past, that lead to more crimes of a similar nature occurring later on !

“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.”- Martin Luther King Jr.

Also would this possibly mean that we might have to see more of such crimes taking place in the future, due to errors and mistakes in perception we never really succeeded in learning from , or pretended indifference to ! Would this then account to a failure or deficiencies in international leadership and international value systems that emphasize mutual cooperation, peace, human values, nonviolence, unselfishness.

Shad

Veteran Member

I do not think the massacres could have been stopped without altering France and UK politics, economy and public opinion in the 20s and 30s. Ergo prior to Hitler of 32 and 36.