• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could someone insight me on the seven chakras and what their uses are?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I read various sites and see different interpretations on them. I would like to understand what they each really mean and their uses. Is there any usefulness in understanding them?

Heyo

Veteran Member
I read various sites and see different interpretations on them. I would like to understand what they each really mean and their uses. Is there any usefulness in understanding them?
On an abstract level, yes. It teaches you about the different "energies" in your body and mind. On a detailed level, no, as, as you have recognized yourself, the opinions vary widely.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Thank you. I am wondering on how to unblock chakras also. I often hear things like yoga or meditation. I'm unsure of how useful those actually would be. I can't see myself practicing yoga, and meditation seems to have mixed reviews and I worry it'd be a waste of time.

I can't really help, although i do a yoga session daily i use it to flex my back (and incidentally other muscles) after sleep.

I don't do get onto the deep.stuff

wellwisher

Thank you. I am wondering on how to unblock chakras also. I often hear things like yoga or meditation. I'm unsure of how useful those actually would be. I can't see myself practicing yoga, and meditation seems to have mixed reviews and I worry it'd be a waste of time.

One type of yoga you can try is called Kundalini Yoga. I use to do this Yoga before I shifted gears into Jungian Psychology, many decades ago. I had to stop because I was starting to get some unsettling output affects from the psychic centers. I thought it would be better to investigate these first hand experiences with Psychology rather than stay mystical.

The book of Kundalini Yoga I had, said that Westerners would have a hard time successfully doing Kundalini Yoga, since they do not know how to calm their minds and bodies, so the affects of the yoga could take hold. The author suggested I first do some Chaotic Meditation, as a primer step. I took his advice since I was going into this with took much analytical expectation.

Chaotic meditation was designed to relax one, fully, in terms of body, mind and heart. From this platform of total relaxation and emptiness, Kundalini Yoga would be more effective.

This Chaotic Meditation technique involved three connected 10 minutes stages. The first stage was designed to relax the body with chaos in terms of body movement. What you would do, is try to make up a spontaneous dance, that had no repetitious rhythm, but rather it needed to be chaotic without any timing. The idea was to disrupt the rhythmic patterns of movements; muscle memory, with a chaotic herky jerky dance that made you look spastic. This was designed to disrupt motor patterns and tire the body.

Next, you do a 10 minute session of catharsis to empty the heart. You would be like an actor, allowing yourself to express all type of emotions, while not staying too long at any one emotion. You may go from love to hate to sadness to anger, joy, etc., but with no lingering pattern. This was an excellent emotional release all by itself.

Finally step three was connected to gibberish. Here you would try to disrupt the patterns of language and thought, by spontaneously talking in words; sound, that do not exist, but which you will generate as you go. It reminded my of scat jazz music, but with even less structure. This will relax the mind.

When you are done, you lay down on the floor. Your body is tired from inefficient dancing, and your heart and mind become very blank and calm from catharsis and gibberish. Once you can reach this state of calm and blank, easily, you are ready for Kundalini. It took me about 2 weeks to be able to reach this state of calm without needing the Chaotic meditation to stay calm. It will be a little weird for the neighbors due to the odd outputs that you will make. You need a sense of humor to laugh off their concerns.

In Kundalini Yoga, the gist is there are seven psychic centers. Starting at the bottom, the first is a the tip of the tailbone, then the spleen, the navel, the heart, the throat, the mind's eye; between the eyes, and lastly, the top of the head. In this yoga you are relaxed and start at the tailbone, inhaling and visualizing energy from space around you. going into that center. As you exhale, visualize the stored energy, going up your spine, all the way, until it goes out of top of your head. Do this 7 times for each center, bottom to top, one-by-one, working your way upward to the top of you head; 49 breaths. You do this each day, until will begin to feel some of the centers vibrate, depending on your own psychic development.

I got good at this and could move my hand along the spine of friends and acquaintances; 12 inches away, and based on which centers I could feel, I could tells things about them. Most females could feel the energy in my hand, when it would move past their centers with some centers stronger. This told me things in terms personality type.

I terms of my later experiences, after doing this at night before bed for many weeks, all my centers started to vibrate and they began to feel like they were all expanding and overlapping. I had a vision/sensation of my kundalini body ballooning up and then me leaving my material body. This had been an outlier goal I was hoping to achieve. But it was very unsettling, when it actually happened. I did not know how to get back into my body if I floated too far, so I aborted at the last minute, and stopped doing the Yoga, all together.

Instead I started to read Jungian Psychology to figure our how to explain what I had witnessed. The idea of this happening outside myself was very insetting. Strangely, I could handle these weird special affects if they could be shown to come from my own brain. This started a new stage of my research into the human psyche, using science instead of mystical techniques and assumptions.

It can be unsettling but I can also make you aware of new old things westerners do not know about.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Affirmations are useful and simple.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I view the chakras differently than most of what is written. As someone else said, there are many views. I see them as organs of the inner body, and constantly working automatically, just as organs like heart and lungs work automatically in the physical body. We have 5 bodies, (sheaths)that go progressively inner. I'd look them up but I'm in bit of a rush. I think the innermost one is called anandamaya kosha, but not sure.
Just as we don't have to work on outer organs much, neither do we have to work on our chakras, as they work on their own. Most folks live in one (each is an area of consciousness)predominately, and can go up or down by one or perhaps 2. Besides the 7 that are spoken of often, there are also 7 below the muladhara, where lower emotions like fear and anger rule. The goal in spiritual life for the vast majority of people is to get to the muladhara, and block off the shushumna below that, so one cannot get angry or live in fear. Those aren't talked about much, because they're not as much 'fun'.
So from my POV, there is no need whatsoever to even think about them. Just try to live as ethically as you can and your awareness will naturally move up the spine. Slow but sure wins the race.

Editted to add: More detailed info here ... Merging with Śiva

Last edited: