• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could someone explain these verses to me?

Natural Submission

Prima said:
Disagreement isn't warfare!

i never said disagreement is warfare at all. If a gang of child molestors are murdering people and raping kids, this would necessitate violence and warfare. Anyone with a conscious would agree with this.

Jesus hated war and the pain it caused.

Yes anyone with a half once of brains hates war.

He's not promoting war, he's saying that life will not be automatically easy once he comes

Of course he's not promoting war, he is only foreteling what will happen as you said.

Prima

Jesus certainly didn't propagate warfare, but this doesn't mean he was against it.
Yes anyone with a half once of brains hates war.
If you hate war, you are against it. You're contradicting yourself.

If a gang of child molestors are murdering people and raping kids, this would necessitate violence and warfare. Anyone with a conscious would agree with this.
Well, I have a concious and I disagree. If a gang of child molestors are murdering people and raping kids, it would necessitate a better police force, and a crackdown on them. Not necessarily violence, and definitely not warfare.

Natural Submission

If you hate war, you are against it. You're contradicting yourself.

There is on counterdiction, only your baseless opinion. i hate war, but if i am forced to fight to save children from being murdered i will. i'm not going to look at what should have been done to prevent it, i am going to do what needs to be done to stop it.

Well, I have a concious and I disagree. If a gang of child molestors are murdering people and raping kids, it would necessitate a better police force, and a crackdown on them. Not necessarily violence, and definitely not warfare.

What do you consider a crackdown? What would you suggest we do if these child molesters are armed and shooting at us while they rape and murder the children? Should we offer them candy and request for them to stop and cross our fingers? Are you on the streets in these kinds of situations? We will use deadly force until we have control of the situation. Once we control the situation, we stop all violence. Until then we are FORCED into a violent situation to protect the innocent. Perhaps you have a better way to correct a situation after it has started. Obviously we do everything we can to "crackdown" on crime, but we are not going to stop it all.

Linus

Jensa said:
"Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man's enemies will be those of his own household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it."

Matthew 10:34 - 39

Could someone explain the bolded part? I thought Jesus was a pacifist?
It seems simple enough to me. Jesus knew that His message would cause divisions. He knew that His message would not be liked or accepted by everyone because he was changing the way things had been for generations. Just my 2 cents.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Jensa said:
"Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man's enemies will be those of his own household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it."

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. This word is translated from "Dichazo": to cut into two parts, cleave asunder, sever

Jesus is explaining the spiritual battle that will go on within families. For instance. If I remained loyal to my Grandfathers' preaching of hellfire and brimstone, judging others for the way they dress, or for the color of their skin, and did not Love Jesus and his teachings above the love I felt for my Grandfather, I would have strayed further from the Truth. This is not a contradiction to the Commandment, Honor thy Mother and Father. But I can certainly understand the confusion. I learned that everytime I find something in the Bible that doesn't 'sit right' with me, a little research of the original language usually clears up the confusion.

Betho_br

This is the same white rider of Apocalypse who turned red with blood. Isaiah 63:3

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Of the extended family, some would become affiliated with the Way and some would not, thus possibly causing some serious divisions within the family is my take.

Jesus’ ministry brought divisions, even within families (Luke 12:51-53), but it was because of his adherence to, and proclamation of, God’s righteous standards and truth. Division resulted because many individuals hardened their hearts against these truths while others accepted them. (John 8:40, 44-47; 15:22-25; 17:14) This was unavoidable if the divine principles were to be upheld; but the blame lay with the rejectors of what was right.

Furthermore, Jesus did not go around stirring up trouble within families, intentionally setting family members against one another. He had genuine love for people and wanted to see them live together in peace. However, his teachings did have the effect of a sword upon some families, dividing members who accepted scriptural/Bible truths from those who clung to false religious traditions. This was not the fault of Jesus or the apostle/ministers bringing his teachings, but the fault rested with the family members who refused to examine their traditional religious ideas in the light of God’s inspired Word. They are the ones who stirred up trouble and fought against what message was being proclaimed.

Those desiring to do God will must resist this snare of doing what your friends and companions may want, rather than what God says you should do? It is imperative that we value God’s approval more than man’s. In fact, Jesus Christ, said that if you follow him, people will “reproach you and persecute you and lyingly say every sort of wicked thing against you.”-Matthew. 5:11; 7:13, 14.