• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could somebody please sum these questions up for me?

reyjamiei

Super Universe said:
Those terrible things that the Old Testament writers blamed God for were simply things that the people had no understanding of so they wrote them down as acts of God. Even today we still have the saying but does anyone believe that God still sends storms or causes the ground to shake?

Yes actually, some people do still believe that God sends storms and causes the ground to shake?

Super Universe

Defender of God
reyjamiei said:
Yes actually, some people do still believe that God sends storms and causes the ground to shake?

Then that is their choice. But know this, no one else is to blame. Not anything that proves to be incorrect in the bible, nor their parents who may have taught them something false, nor any priest.

Once you become an adult, an age that you can choose for yourself, then only you are responsible for what you believe.

Super Universe

Defender of God
tlcmel said:
VERY well said, that's like a nice breez to my soul!:rainbow1: So I guess you question the bible also?

Me question the bible? Absolutely! It's a product of man.

Lets see how man illogical things and inconsistancies I can give you quickly?

A talking serpent?
A forbidden tree of knowledge placed in garden instead of thousands of miles away?
A devil in God's universe?
Animal sacrifice to God who created the universe for life to flourish?
The idea that God would choose certain people over others?
The Old Testament's theory of an eye for an eye opposed to the New Testament's idea of forgiveness.
God is jealous, could possibly become angry, and the most blasphemous thing ever, that God kills! People actually believe that the Creator kills!

These are all things that people CHOOSE to believe about God and only they are responsible.

Hacker

Couldn't agree with you more, it's sort of sadistic don't you think(some of it.):areyoucra
Now, do you believe that Jesus died a very bruital death because of our sins or because that whole concept is based on his death was a result of sin? Hope that makes sense, and what doesn your religion entail?

true blood

It appears that Jesus, the High Priest, put away sin by the sacrifice of himself and as it is appointed unto men once to die then after this the judgement. So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
true blood said:
It appears that Jesus, the High Priest, put away sin by the sacrifice of himself and as it is appointed unto men once to die then after this the judgement. So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.
Yep :D

Though it seems the OP would really prefer that God grant salvation in a way more to her liking ;).

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
tlcmel said:
Hi,
I have a few questions that I find hard to accept as being understandable and logical in Christianity particularly the bible
1. Why did God ALLOW his only son to die on the cross (bruitally) for our sins, couldn't he have thought of another way for our sins to be forgiven? That seems a little harsh to me, but I'm willing to try to at least understand in my best possible way:) (by the way, i'm not VERY educated about religions, just a few)
2. How could God, allow himself to punish those who sinned, which the bible refers to him saying "shall be put to death", for things like working on Sunday:sarcastic (forget which verse.)
3. If reincarnation can't be proven in today's bible, then why was it considered an integral part of Christianity way back in history? And if it doesn't exist, then how could a GOd that loves us so much send ANY of his childeren in a burning pit for eternity(MANY references in the bible pertaining to that), for not accepting Christ. I know it's not DIFFICULT to accept him out of this much fear but is this really logical(i will admit, fear part of the reason why I'm questioning this AND my logic won't rest with it.
And if a very educated christian could....I would appreciate a nice condenced EASY understanding of the MAIN concept in regards to christianity...like what is salvation(I grew up Catholic but still don't get it), what is the meaning behind Christ having to die for our sins? Thank you and I'm sorry if I seem hypocritical, and I do respect Christ and can easily accept him, but I just can't seem to grasp some of the quotes pertaining to and angry and vengeful God. Thanks!:eek:

To many Christians, it is not the death of Christ that reconciles humanity to God, but God with us (the incarnation).

Your questions lie at the heart of the human dilemma. Christ's death, while an act of self-sacrifice, is not so much effectual as it is prophetic. We became reconciled to God when God became human, like us. Yet, we still go on sinning -- doing things that keep us out of relationship with God. Do you see the poetry in the crucifixion story? God was here with us, loving us -- building relationship with us, and we killed him. Humanity will always do things to "kill God," even though we have been reconciled to God.

Christ's call to us was to live as if we were already in right relationship with God. Yet, we reject that relationship by our own actions.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
sojourner said:
To many Christians, it is not the death of Christ that reconciles humanity to God, but God with us (the incarnation).

Your questions lie at the heart of the human dilemma. Christ's death, while an act of self-sacrifice, is not so much effectual as it is prophetic. We became reconciled to God when God became human, like us. Yet, we still go on sinning -- doing things that keep us out of relationship with God. Do you see the poetry in the crucifixion story? God was here with us, loving us -- building relationship with us, and we killed him. Humanity will always do things to "kill God," even though we have been reconciled to God.

Christ's call to us was to live as if we were already in right relationship with God. Yet, we reject that relationship by our own actions.

I agree; but the only trouble with us humans is just that - that we are human. We are incapable of being 'good enough'. I think that God will be far more interested in 'how hard we tried' rather than in 'did we succeed', because I don't believe there is anyway that we can succeed.

Hacker

Thanks, I've been studying the bible lately and trying so hard to understand, thank you, you guys DID shed some light. When I pray, I always pray to Jesus, it's just a few questions that seem to make me wonder.

Super Universe

Defender of God
sojourner said:
To many Christians, it is not the death of Christ that reconciles humanity to God...

Upon reading this I hoped that you would continue this thought with "it is the life of Christ that reconciles humanity to God."

It is not that Christ died for our sins, he is certainly not dead, but it is His life that gives us salvation.

may

its all to do with the RANSOM , understanding the ransom will answer many questionsPut simply, the ransom is Jehovah’s means to deliver, or save, humankind from sin and death. (Ephesians 1:7) To grasp the meaning of this Bible teaching, we need to think back to what happened in the garden of Eden. Only if we understand what Adam lost when he sinned can we appreciate why the ransom is such a valuable gift to us.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Super Universe said:
Upon reading this I hoped that you would continue this thought with "it is the life of Christ that reconciles humanity to God."

It is not that Christ died for our sins, he is certainly not dead, but it is His life that gives us salvation.

I did. I said it is the incarnation (God with us), or, his life among us, if you will, that saves us.