• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Sentience Ever be an Emergent Property of the Universe?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do you think sentience could ever be an emergent property of the universe? Yes, I know, "dumb question" since the universe is not -- so far as we know -- an integrated system. BUT, dumb questions can at times result in good, fun conversations. Hopefully, this one might.

An implication of saying that sentience could be an emergent property of the universe MIGHT be that the universe could spawn a god or gods.

BONUS QUESTION: In what year will @SalixIncendium 's fashion sense reach critical mass and evolve into a self-replicating life-form?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The sequence of the Big Bang, star formation, planet formation,
abiogenesis, evolution, & sentient beings looks plausible to me.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you think sentience could ever be an emergent property of the universe? Yes, I know, "dumb question" since the universe is not -- so far as we know -- an integrated system. BUT, dumb questions can at times result in good, fun conversations. Hopefully, this one might.

An implication of saying that sentience could be an emergent property of the universe MIGHT be that the universe could spawn a god or gods.

BONUS QUESTION: In what year will @SalixIncendium 's fashion sense reach critical mass and evolve into a self-replicating life-form?
We don't know all of the properties of black holes or of dark matter, so its possible that the universe could somehow become physically aware of itself. It doesn't seem likely, but it depends on the properties of those poorly understood places in the universe. Suppose every black hole is in communication with every other black hole? Then you have a network, and what is dark matter?