• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could it ever become possible to transfer one's consciousness to computer?

Bob the Unbeliever

To the OP: Yes, I think it's not only possible, but it's inevitable. How soon? Unknown. We need a better understanding of how the brain works, than we have now.

But our models are getting better at an exponential rate. I fully expect that a simulation of someone's brain will become so good, that one cannot tell any difference between the simulation and the meat-person.

Once the differences are undetectable without some clue? Then it's as good as immortality.

Since I reject the claim of "soul"? It's effective immortality too: We are, really, just a sum of all our memories. Once it becomes possible to map these memories into some sort of hardware-- perhaps a quantum computing device? Then the memories have achieved immortality.

Me? I'd make the jump without hesitation-- my meat-body is rapidly wearing out. Bad "design", really.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I was thinking about this while reading through the robotics thread, and I was wondering if, someday, it might be possible to transfer a human consciousness to a robot. Could a human's memories and knowledge be copied and stored on a hard drive? Or is this just so far out an idea that it can't even be conceived of?
I think Consciousness is just a result of reactive matter. I don't think it can be transferred but it arguably could be repeated with the right arrangement of molecules and conditions.

atanu

Premium Member
I was thinking about this while reading through the robotics thread, and I was wondering if, someday, it might be possible to transfer a human consciousness to a robot. Could a human's memories and knowledge be copied and stored on a hard drive? Or is this just so far out an idea that it can't even be conceived of?

We must be first able to define consciousness in mathematical terms, including the explosive joy of orgasm.