• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could it be?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Every phenomena in the universe is part of the same molecular dance; the same complex web of interactions whereby reality is woven, and existence comes to be.

To take one manifestation of nature in isolation from all others, and consider it separate, is to exhibit backward thinking, both philosophically and scientifically.

Evolution of life on earth is intrinsically linked to the unfolding drama of the universe itself; the Mesozoic era during which multi cellular life evolved on earth, occurs within the steliferous era of the cosmos.

Our intuitive understanding of evolution as a concept may be a function of our particular temporal perspective (which is of course linear). The a to b to c perspective of causality may be erroneous; but that a and b and c are intrinsically related, and that each manifests relative to the other, that’s pretty much a given.
Maybe I wasn't clear, because people keep misinterpreting my post. I'll rephrase:

The Theory of Evolution doesn't make any predictions or have any implications about how the universe came to be. The Theory of Evolution would be just as true if the universe we see around us began with a quantum fluctuation, magic poofing from a god, or a touch of the Flying Spaghetti monster's noodly appendage.

You seem to be making a big deal out of the idea that the universe had to be a particular way to allow and sustain life. Of course, when we talk about "the universe," I mean the universe we have, not some alternate, counter-factual universe.

Of course, the weak anthropic principle is in effect, but this is a separate matter from evolution.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I mean that evolution is a theory about how the variation we see in live developed (and continues to develop)... and that's it. The theory of evolution doesn't say anything about the origins of the universe.
The theory of evolution is about biological lifeforms. But evolution is a process, and that process is what in fact formed galaxies and planets and every complex structure you see. The ToE is simply about how the process of evolution, evolved biological forms.

firedragon

Veteran Member
The theory of evolution is about biological lifeforms. But evolution is a process, and that process is what in fact formed galaxies and planets and every complex structure you see. The ToE is simply about how the process of evolution, evolved biological forms.

Most atheists in the world won't care about this, but the evangelical atheists loose one of their missionary weapons when theists embrace evolution. Thats an issue.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Is it possible that our universe was created by a God, but that the theory of evolution also is true?

Meaning, did God create this universe with purpose that it evolve as a evolution on its own?
Yes, but the question then moves along and is "Who created god?"

So atheists just miss the step with god in it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
aka Special Pleading.

Why can't the universe always have been there? ie There is no need for a god.
Good question.
I might be wrong, but our universe was created due to the need for a place for physical beings to experience pain and suffering so that we can go back to God when we realize why we suffer.
, and have ended our own suffering in this life. Since I do believe we are a part of God in some way, we would have to go back to our original existence without a physical body

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Is it possible that our universe was created by a God, but that the theory of evolution also is true?

Meaning, did God create this universe with purpose that it evolve as a evolution on its own?

Yes, it is possible that some entity/intelligence setup the structure for the universe then left it to run on autopilot.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Good question.
I might be wrong, but our universe was created due to the need for a place for physical beings to experience pain and suffering so that we can go back to God when we realize why we suffer.
, and have ended our own suffering in this life. Since I do believe we are a part of God in some way, we would have to go back to our original existence without a physical body
That's a belief based on faith; I'm sorry but science (and me) need evidence

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Most atheists in the world won't care about this, but the evangelical atheists loose one of their missionary weapons when theists embrace evolution. Thats an issue.
That's an interesting thought. The reason they are atheists is because they see faith in God as hostile to science? If so, then what happens when it isn't?

Altfish

Veteran Member
So somewhere then, it becomes a matter of faith and not evidence?
Why is "I don't know" not the best answer? There is no faith involved.

Just admit, we are ignorant, don't invent a solution or say "God did it" - keep researching the problem, we may find an answer.

firedragon

Veteran Member
That's an interesting thought. The reason they are atheists is because they see faith in God as hostile to science? If so, then what happens when it isn't?

I am not saying that atheists are atheists because they believe religion is hostile to science. All atheists are not so stupid. Some atheists truly do honest research, not just base everything on their indoctrinations and faith. The value of atheism is not even understood by some of these atheists. :)

I was very specific Windwalker. There are hyper evangelical atheists. One of their main missionary weapons is evolution and when a theists says evolution is perfectly accepted, they get very agitated. This is known throughout the world in all kinds of platforms. Any evangelist, be it religious or non-religious gets agitated and uncomfortable when one of their main missionary weapons is broken at its core. Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, Atheist, Alien, whatever you are, its the same.