• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could it be any more obvious that Brexit is manipulated?

Altfish

Veteran Member
That's a bit strong. I could argue that your voters are incompetent. After all we are talking about a relatively small amount spent on an initiative, a vote of the people. No politicians directly involved. Your people got bought off for peanuts compared to what it would take to get such an initiative passed here.

Also initiatives tend to be a bit more conservative than the legislature. There have been a couple of exceptions in my state. Gay marriage was an initiative here, as was pot legalization. Most initiatives that pass are involved in reigning in the spending of the state.
That's a bit strong. I could argue that your voters are incompetent. After all we are talking about a relatively small amount spent on an initiative, a vote of the people. No politicians directly involved. Your people got bought off for peanuts compared to what it would take to get such an initiative passed here.

Also initiatives tend to be a bit more conservative than the legislature. There have been a couple of exceptions in my state. Gay marriage was an initiative here, as was pot legalization. Most initiatives that pass are involved in reigning in the spending of the state.
In theory there are strict limits on the amount each party can spend on an election. When these limits are broken there are financial penalties. The problem is the penalties are relatively small (there is a call for them to be raised) and actually spotting and proving the overspend is not as easy as it sounds.

I think you can argue that 50% + voters in any election are incompetent, easily swung by a media with an agenda or just vote on one issue. We do have a massive advantage in the UK in that religion plays little part in our elections. There is no such thing as the 'evangelical' vote.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
In theory there are strict limits on the amount each party can spend on an election. When these limits are broken there are financial penalties. The problem is the penalties are relatively small (there is a call for them to be raised) and actually spotting and proving the overspend is not as easy as it sounds.

I think you can argue that 50% + voters in any election are incompetent, easily swung by a media with an agenda or just vote on one issue. We do have a massive advantage in the UK in that religion plays little part in our elections. There is no such thing as the 'evangelical' vote.

Oww! That stings. Yes the evangelical vote is possibly the worst educated voting bloc in the world.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Lloyds of London isn't a bank.

In your opinion , why does the Bank of England own the 13 % of the ECB? even if UK is not in the Eurozone

(you won't answer this...because either you don't know or more probably you pretend not to know)

Altfish

Veteran Member
In your opinion , why does the Bank of England own the 13 % of the ECB? even if UK is not in the Eurozone

(you won't answer this...because either you don't know or more probably you pretend not to know)
"you won't answer this...":rolleyes: - says the person who totally ignored my previous response and changed the subject!:facepalm:

I stand to be corrected but I thought all EU countries (whether in the Euro or not) had a steak in the bank. We have a similar steak to France, Italy and Germany. The likes of Poland also have a stake.
Must admit I don't know if this stake will be given up when we leave the EU, I presume so.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
"
Must admit I don't know if this stake will be given up when we leave the EU, I presume so.

Precisely...that's the point...the BoE will not give up that stake...and they're delaying Brexit to try to find a compromise that can hide this

And with all due respect...it was you who changed the subject in my thread about Italy, by not admitting that what Brussels did to my country is inexcusable...a dictatorial coup d'état

Altfish

Veteran Member
Precisely...that's the point...the BoE will not give up that stake...and they're delaying Brexit to try to find a compromise that can hide this

And with all due respect...it was you who changed the subject in my thread about Italy, by not admitting that what Brussels did to my country is inexcusable...a dictatorial coup d'état
I don't know enough about the Italian situation to comment on it knowledgeably. I have never understood how a country can keep electing Berlusconi!
Brexit was always going to be much more difficult than the leavers admitted and the Remainers' 'Project Fear' was ridiculed; unfortunately the Remainers seem to have predicted the future more accurately.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Brexit was always going to be much more difficult than the leavers admitted and the Remainers' 'Project Fear' was ridiculed; unfortunately the Remainers seem to have predicted the future more accurately.

I'm trying to make you understand from the very first that the banksters are boycotting the British economy to convince the government to abandon the Brexit project.

So you're blaming Leavers for the criminal activity of the BoE who defends its interests

Once you understand what Seigniorage is, what the ECB really is, you'll also get why Germany is doing anything to boycott Brexit.

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
I'm trying to make you understand from the very first that the banksters are boycotting the British economy to convince the government to abandon the Brexit project.
Your hated banker!!! LLOYDS IT IS NOT A BANK, it is an insurance company.
Lloyds is moving some of its business to Brussels to ensure it has a foot in the EU to ensure it can do business in Europe after Brexit.
To be fair many banks are doing the same.
So you're blaming Leavers for the criminal activity of the BoE who defends its interests
Is the BoE the Bank of England; I'm not sure what that has to do with Lloyds moving??

Once you understand what Seigniorage is, what the ECB really is, you'll also get why Germany is doing anything to boycott Brexit.
I do understand what Seigniorage is, all banks do it or profit from it. Still not sure what it has to do with Lloyds

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Brexit : noun. The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed.

Brexit in a nutshell to paraphrase Mathew Holthouse (PM of Luxembourg) put it. Britain was in with a load of opt outs, they are pulling out and want a load of opt ins.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Your hated banker!!! LLOYDS IT IS NOT A BANK, it is an insurance company.
Lloyds is moving some of its business to Brussels to ensure it has a foot in the EU to ensure it can do business in Europe after Brexit.
To be fair many banks are doing the same.

Is the BoE the Bank of England; I'm not sure what that has to do with Lloyds moving??

I do understand what Seigniorage is, all banks do it or profit from it. Still not sure what it has to do with Lloyds

Yes most uk based banks and other big business are moving to Europe. Won't be long before canary wharf is a ghost town.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I get that. I would not want the USA to be part of a one nation north America either.

You are already a nation of states and you add to them from time to time.
Not much different to what the EU intends.
I would prefer to stay in the EU. for much the same reason that the USA is stronger for being a federal state, rather than a commercial alliance between competing states.

The states in the USA all bring something unique to the melting pot that they all benefit from.
I would agree that Canada and Mexico would be too large to assimilate, but they make good trading partners.
The UK outside Europe is an also ran.