• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could anyone offer me some advice?

VioletVortex

I've been a Satanist for the past two years. However, recently, I've started feeling that Satanism is merely an expression of my rebellion. I'm not saying that rebellion is a bad thing, I think it's good, but I do not feel that Satanism is my true religious belief...

Over the past few weeks, I've felt more drawn to Norse/Germanic Paganism, however, I've been a Satanist for a few years and it's difficult for me to abandon it.

Has anyone felt "drawn" to a certain spiritual path before? If so, did you heed it, and did it lead you somewhere fulfilling?

I guess this belongs in the Seeker's circle.

VioletVortex

Abandoning always takes courage but being true to yourself is precious. I was a wavering theist Hindu. I attained peace of mind once I abandoned theism and became an atheist Hindu. Now I am at peace even with the hundreds of Hindu deities, since I understand that they are mythology.

I was an atheist up until this year. I was an atheist, and then an atheistic Satanist. I sort of climbed up the ladder of theism.

I can understand your point of view, viewing the gods as ideas to aspire to.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I've been a Satanist for the past two years. However, recently, I've started feeling that Satanism is merely an expression of my rebellion. I'm not saying that rebellion is a bad thing, I think it's good, but I do not feel that Satanism is my true religious belief...

Over the past few weeks, I've felt more drawn to Norse/Germanic Paganism, however, I've been a Satanist for a few years and it's difficult for me to abandon it.

Has anyone felt "drawn" to a certain spiritual path before? If so, did you heed it, and did it lead you somewhere fulfilling?

Actually, yep. I've only practiced two belief systems: Catholicism and Buddhism. My morals are a myriad of spiritualism, paganism, and, what was the other :nomouth: Can't remember. I've been atheist all my life just no one told me what it was until I met the internet.

I'm honestly drawn to the practice of Catholicism; but, I can't reconcile (and I'm not eclectic) the truths they hold with what I know is reality.

I've always been a spiritualist. My whole family are. We never called it anything. It's not a religion just a practice used in many religions in regards to communicating with the deceased or spirits.

I'm drawn to modern paganism. Until RF, I didn't realize Paganism has distinct definition(s) that put me literally outside the box: hence modern.

What we are called to or are what draws us fluctuates. It's natural and normal. What I found makes a difference between what you're drawn to and what you actually know is true is practice. What do you do on an everyday basis that you don't have to think about it in its deeper meaning?​

When I sign the cross when praying with Catholic friends as a respectful gesture, there is only a union between two people of former and current faith. (Mine and the other). However, that action doesn't mean anything in and of itself. It's not natural.

What comes to you naturally?
What actions do you practice that you don't have a second thought of whether it is "real" or not?​

When you find that, then that's your path (or start of one).
With Catholicism, I had to translate a lot. "They said god meaning Jesus." I think. "Wait. I don't believe that. God is life. Okay. Translate." and basically, that's what I do most of Mass, translation.

Spiritualism, I gave in that it is a practice not a religion. So, it comes natural. I don't have to think about it. I can't divorce the spirits. I can't turn from my ancestors.

Paganism, in it's most strict sense, is out of my ballpark. I believe in multiple spirits but I don't worship them. I don't believe in mythology; and, the only Paganism that I can comfortable adhere to is spiritualism (and other non-modern practices) that underlines each cultural faith.

Buddhism just makes sense. It's just how life is designed. It's one of those things that either you practice or you don't. It's a practice faith. So, being "drawn" is somewhat foreign in my opinion when it comes to Buddhism. It's more you practice and that's religion.
Catholicism wasn't fulfilling internally because it frustrated me with translation and there were doctrinal issues with Christianity in general I couldn't reconcile with.

Communing with the spirits, ancestors, etc comes natural; so, I don't have to think about it. I practice it in everything I do. Giving offerings, saying prayers, and lighting candles and so forth. It's natural.

I say I am a Bodhisattva because I rather help others and give others knowledge and help them on their spiritual path before I can reach that point. Spirituality is a journey rather than a destination. So, question(s) like this I'm always happy to put in my two sense.

Unfortunately, I can't formal vows right now to "become a Buddhist." Vows, like Catholicism, are very important to me. Internally, I will always be a Spiritualist. However, I understand what you mean about being drawn to a path and wondering if it's fulfilling or not.

Let me ask, if you practice Paganism, why would you abandon Satanism? I know for me, regardless of what faith I jump to, I will always hold Buddhist morals and I will always commune with the spirits. You can still hold on to your Satanist values and practice the path of a Pagan.

I'm not sure what Norse Pagans practice; and, I'm sure it isn't strict as some faiths around the world. If it is not, I don't see a problem.

Is it?​

Sees

Dragonslayer
I felt drawn towards the Euro traditions before I knew they were there, even as a possibility. For me going with that was a very natural and rewarding choice. A short list of some reasons...
  • the way they combine affirmation of the individual with love and connectedness of the community. Glory and praise are Good.
  • affirmation of this world - it's realness, power, life-giving energies, etc.
  • values and views overall which are very natural to me by way of ancestry, cultural ties, etc. It is ingrained and I'm not an outsider by any means.
  • what I liked about any world religions and philosophy is already a part of our way, our history....it was just demonized and forgotten.
  • the holidays now make sense :D
The heroic ethical and moral views, values, goals at the heart of LHP and Heathen traditions just have a different focus and application here and there. Western LHP in my view was another stream people entered to reach back towards the old ways. An urge is inside to honor, respect, cherish, practice things which the world religions wouldn't look kindly upon or understand.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Norse/Germanic Paganism sounds like a step up from Satanism to me. I suggest just going for it and evaluate it after. The evaluation will be much more informed then.

GoodbyeDave

I think you are on a natural path.

With due respect to the Satanists, it seems to me that they have followed the same route. Satanism started as the atheistic variety, with Satan as a symbol of both their rebellion against Christianity and their aspirations for personal development. Then when some people had religious experiences, they attributed them to Satan and theistic Satanism was born. But religious experiences seldom come with a label attached. If a Christian has one they assume it was Jesus, if a Hindu has one they attribute it to their personal divinity or to the one that they were worshiping. The experiences of a Satanist could generally be of anyone.

I think that some deity has decided you are worth their attention. And there is a certain similarity between the values of Satanism and Heathenism (think "9 Noble Virtues"), so you aren't really abandoning anything.

Really, all Pagan religions are the same: we just choose (or are chosen by) different gods. Changing pantheons (or mixing them) is not changing religions, in the way that switching from Islam to Christianity would be.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

A few follow-up questions for you to explore this a bit more. What do you feel it means for something to be your "true religious belief?" What is it about Satanism that doesn't feel like it meets that standard? Is it just the rebellion thing, or are there some other elements involved?

A few more follow-up questions to think about. From this, I gather you feel you need to abandon one way to follow another way. Why do you feel this is the case? Does it need to be the case? Also, what in particular about Norse Paganism appeals to you?

My story is a bit of a long one now, and I'm not sure how useful it will be for you. Instead I'd give an observation based on those experiences. When you find that which you already embody, you will know where your home is. Trust in oneself and in one's judgement is vital; then you will know the path to walk. Each thing to its proper time; some times it is not the right time, and when it is the right time, you know.

VioletVortex

Satanism is a monotheistic religion/philosophy, and monotheism is not very in line with reality and nature. Nature doesn't just work in one manner to reach one goal, instead, there are many forces in nature that interact with each other. Therefore, it seems like polytheism is the more accurate spiritual view.

SpentaMaynu

One God, All in all
I went from Conservative Christianity to Liberal Christianity, dabbled with Buddhism and mysticism, was an Atheist out of anger and rebellion for one day... Then felt drawn to Hinduism. My views at this moment is Omnist, Universalist - basically all inclusive. We are where we need to be. Religion or Spirituality is a journey wherein each of us grow in our own way and it is never ending (at least while we are in this life)... As for fulfillment - I think it depends on what you are looking for in each moment of your life (Christians like to call it the will of God) and to find that is kind of difficult, but I'm guessing that's the whole point

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I was raised in Protestantism and stayed with it out of respect for family history. Was drawn to Taoism and Buddhism and it took me 30 years to realize that was not a bad or wrong thing.

GoodbyeDave

Satanism is a monotheistic religion/philosophy, and monotheism is not very in line with reality and nature. Nature doesn't just work in one manner to reach one goal, instead, there are many forces in nature that interact with each other. Therefore, it seems like polytheism is the more accurate spiritual view.
I agree with your view of monotheism, but Satanism can be polytheistic:
http://theisticsatanism.com/CoAz/belief/theology.html

rocala

I've always been a spiritualist. My whole family are. We never called it anything. It's not a religion just a practice used in many religions in regards to communicating with the deceased or spirits.
Hi Carlita, I am very interested in what you are discussing here. It would be great if you were to start a thread on this.

Hi @Iron Wizard , a very interesting post. I hope there is lots of feed back on this.

arthra

Baha'i

I believe all of us go through stages of seeking and exploring various paths...sometimes it can take years... in my case it was some forty years ago that I found the Baha'i Faith. I had been active in the civil rights movement and the peace movement so when I began reading the Baha'i Writings it was for me a confirmation that I was on the right path. But thuis search requires discipline and independent searching...

When a true seeker determineth to take the step of search in the path leading unto the knowledge of the Ancient of Days, he must, before all else, cleanse his heart, which is the seat of the revelation of the inner mysteries of God, from the obscuring dust of all acquired knowledge, and the allusions of the embodiments of satanic fancy. He must purge his breast, which is the sanctuary of the abiding love of the Beloved, of every defilement, and sanctify his soul from all that pertaineth to water and clay, from all shadowy and ephemeral attachments. He must so cleanse his heart that no remnant of either love or hate may linger therein, lest that love blindly incline him to error, or that hate repel him away from the truth.....

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 264)

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
You do not have to abandon everything you learned. You could combine the most empowering elements from your previous spiritual-religious system with various things you learn moving forward.

JesusBeliever

Always follow you heart, never anyone else's, look deep within, never without, and you should be fine.
I'd like to agree with this but with a little bit of a twist. Always follow your heart, never anyone else's, look deep within and if you feel the need to look without always start with the text in which the religious belief is based and decide whether it speaks to your inner truth. Coz more often than not the practise can look very different to the belief system itself seeing that we're all flawed human beings. It was the NT text that won me to that belief rather than the practise that I saw all around me. And in my honest opinion, if Jesus was walking the earth today He would still be considered a bit of a rebel to most religious practices!

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I'd like to agree with this but with a little bit of a twist. Always follow your heart, never anyone else's, look deep within and if you feel the need to look without always start with the text in which the religious belief is based and decide whether it speaks to your inner truth. Coz more often than not the practise can look very different to the belief system itself seeing that we're all flawed human beings. It was the NT text that won me to that belief rather than the practise that I saw all around me. And in my honest opinion, if Jesus was walking the earth today He would still be considered a bit of a rebel to most religious practices!
Yes that is one way, but for me its looking within, asking the question from within, not scripture, for many are too conditioned by what others tell us about the scriptures and how they should be interpreted.

Moonbear

Metal Weeb
You should definitely look further into Norse Paganism if your interested. Sorry, to use black metal as an example but if theistic Satanism had saints (or martyrs I suppose) then Euronymous should be inducted imo and he seemed to be okay with signing bands like Enslaved and Sigh who have lyrics about Norse and Shinto mythology and the like.

Over the past year I've been very drawn to a bunch of different religious stuff including LHP and Germanic Paganism but I was previously more of a vague panendeist and not very interested in spirituality. As I looked further into things not only did it not seem to matter so much as putting a label on it but that I didnt really need to figure it out immediately. Just kind of go with the flow I guess.

So in conclusion don't feel like you necessarily have to abandon it; just look further into Norse Paganism and try it out and maybe see where it takes you and if it doesn't work you can always go back to what your most comfortable with.