• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Costs are through the roof!

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Some of my recent experiences - as to roofing problems - and why I have as little faith in parts of humanity as ever - when it comes to work and rewards. A silly decision to let some apparently legitimate roofers tackle some of the issues that tend to build up over time led to them damaging the guttering and leaving me with a roof leak - appearing less than a week after they had been and not having any such before. Losing confidence in them, and nudged by my bank, the Community Support Police became involved and then Trading Standards. From the hints given, the latter seemed to know more than they could tell me about this particular firm. So, rather than them continuing and paying what was asked, it was agreed that they ceased any work and declined any substantial payment. I perhaps could have sued them over bad workmanship, but I have enough problems to deal with.

Anyway, given that a roof leak is rather an urgent problem to address, I did get some quotes as to such and of course as to the guttering, which probably did need replacing after so many years. So, three firms come to assess. One reckons I need a new roof (about £12,000) with this including some new guttering (about £1000 on its own) - this from looking around and in the attic - but failing to point out the likely source of any leaks. 'The roof is just past its time and leaks should be expected.' Having words with a neighbour and not noticing any such roof renewals in the road over several decades (a cul-de-sac and all houses probably built at the same time), I suspect he is just trying it on. Another firm dismisses the new roof claim but the cost of the guttering and any repairs as to any leaks still sounds rather expensive. The third firm, now they come up with quite likely reasons as to where the leak(s) might be from, and the repair of this and replacing the guttering is much more reasonable.

Guess which one I will be asking to deal with these issues? :oops:

Last edited:

John D. Brey

Some of my recent experiences - as to roofing problems - and why I have as little faith in parts of humanity as ever - when it comes to work and rewards. A silly decision to let some apparently legitimate roofers tackle some of the issues that tend to build up over time led to them damaging the guttering and leaving me with a roof leak. Losing confidence in them, and nudged by my bank, the Community Support Police became involved and then Trading Standards. From the hints given, the latter seemed to know more than they could tell me about this particular firm. So, rather than them continuing and paying what was asked, it was agreed that they ceased any work and declined any substantial payment. I perhaps could have sued them over bad workmanship, but I have enough problems to deal with.

Anyway, given that a roof leak is rather an urgent problem to address, I did get some quotes as to such and of course as to the guttering, which probably did need replacing after so many years. So, three firms come to assess. One reckons I need a new roof (about £12,000) with this including some new guttering (about £1000 on its own) - this from looking around and in the attic - but failing to point out the likely source of any leaks. 'The roof is just past its time and leaks should be expected.' Having words with a neighbour and not noticing any such roof renewals in the road over several decades (a cul-de-sac and all houses probably built at the same time), I suspect he is just trying it on. Another firm dismisses the new roof claim but the cost of the guttering and any repairs as to any leaks still sounds rather expensive. The third firm, now they come up with quite likely reasons as to where the leak(s) might be from, and the repair of this and replacing the guttering is much more reasonable.

Since your talking about roofs . . . a couple years ago a solar salesmen made me an offer I couldn't refuse. He would install the solar cost free and would guaranteed in writing that it would lower my electric bill substantially more than the cost of the solar each and every month.

Only drawback was I had to replace the underlayment beneath the tiles on my roof where the cells would go (so the solar didn't get accused of causing the roof to leak).

Problem was replacing the underlayment was $5000 which is more than a years cost of electricity.

I passed.

The next year another solar company came and agreed to do the roofing work cost free too. So I've had solar power for the last few years and it has substantially lowered the stress of electric bills.

John

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Since your talking about roofs . . . a couple years ago a solar salesmen made me an offer I couldn't refuse. He would install the solar cost free and would guaranteed in writing that it would lower my electric bill substantially more than the cost of the solar each and every month.

Only drawback was I had to replace the underlayment beneath the tiles on my roof where the cells would go (so the solar didn't get accused of causing the roof to leak).

Problem was replacing the underlayment was $5000 which is more than a years cost of electricity.

I passed.

The next year another solar company came and agreed to do the roofing work cost free too. So I've had solar power for the last few years and it has substantially lowered the stress of electric bills.

John
One should never install solar panels over
anything but a roof in great condition.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Some of my recent experiences - as to roofing problems - and why I have as little faith in parts of humanity as ever - when it comes to work and rewards. A silly decision to let some apparently legitimate roofers tackle some of the issues that tend to build up over time led to them damaging the guttering and leaving me with a roof leak. Losing confidence in them, and nudged by my bank, the Community Support Police became involved and then Trading Standards. From the hints given, the latter seemed to know more than they could tell me about this particular firm. So, rather than them continuing and paying what was asked, it was agreed that they ceased any work and declined any substantial payment. I perhaps could have sued them over bad workmanship, but I have enough problems to deal with.

Yeah, unfortunately it's always trial and error choosing these house maintenance people and some mis-steps are inevitable. It sounds as if you have done well to avoid paying for the substandard work. If you do go for the cheapest option, I always think it's important that they can give you good reasons, that you can understand and agree with, for what they propose to do. Roof leaks are notoriously hard to track down. A friend of mine has had about 4 different sets of people offering her ideas about the source of her leak, and as far as I know it is still not completely sorted.

P.S. Who's the redhead? She's rather pretty, though I'm not wild about the rivets in her right ear.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I find roof leaks easy to track down, ie,
its somewhere in the roof.
This is because when they occur on a roof
that was originally properly done, it's a sign
that it needs to be replaced. If found this
to be true on my many roofs over the years.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Have you tried findatrafe or mybuilder?
Trustatrader is one service I did use, but the one I tried to get seemed to be too booked up. Can't wait too long, even if the leaks are not that bad - mostly wind-blown I think.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Yeah, unfortunately it's always trial and error choosing these house maintenance people and some mis-steps are inevitable. It sounds as if you have done well to avoid paying for the substandard work. If you do go for the cheapest option, I always think it's important that they can give you good reasons, that you can understand and agree with, for what they propose to do. Roof leaks are notoriously hard to track down. A friend of mine has had about 4 different sets of people offering her ideas about the source of her leak, and as far as I know it is still not completely sorted.

P.S. Who's the redhead? She's rather pretty, though I'm not wild about the rivets in her right ear.
Not recognise the lovely Emma Stone - one of my favourite actresses? :heart:

I think it is possible that the roof leak comes from a cracked tile (from a clumsy roofer) and/or two tiles that appear to have lifted and where rain might be driven into. I looked in the attic when it was raining a few times and could not see any leaks, even though the membrane had some damage. And the leaks seemed to correspond with the tiled area - which was spotted by myself and the roofers I have chosen.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Not recognise the lovely Emma Stone - one of my favourite actresses? :heart:

I think it is possible that the roof leak comes from a cracked tile (from a clumsy roofer) or two tiles that appear to have lifted and where rain might be driven into. I looked in the attic when it was raining a few times and could not see any leaks, even though the membrane had some damage. And the leaks seemed to correspond with the tiled area - which was spotted by myself and the roofers I have chosen.
'Fraid not, but then I don't have a TV and have barely been to the cinema since my wife died, so I'm a bit out of touch ("Who are the Beatles?", judge asks.)

I used to like Juliet Binoche, back in the day, before she went a bit bonkers:-

juliette-binoche-7f358678-af74-4a36-a597-80f44574d6c-resize-750.jpg

I even had her as a screensaver on my work laptop for bit, until it became thought slightly inappropriate for the office culture.

But now it's Charlotte:

qXIbG6ESrnnSgzWoMLYpIKuobOLTAZSGmlczzDzvVua-g0W9rbZMFEzq5sycBY6oQUBYxput93qFNg=s640-c-fcrop64=1,38000000c7ffffff-nd-v1

:twohearts:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
'Fraid not, but then I don't have a TV and have barely been to the cinema since my wife died, so I'm a bit out of touch ("Who are the Beatles?", judge asks.)

I used to like Juliet Binoche, back in the day, before she went a bit bonkers:-

juliette-binoche-7f358678-af74-4a36-a597-80f44574d6c-resize-750.jpg

I even had her as a screensaver on my work laptop for bit, until it became thought slightly inappropriate for the office culture.

But now it's Charlotte:

qXIbG6ESrnnSgzWoMLYpIKuobOLTAZSGmlczzDzvVua-g0W9rbZMFEzq5sycBY6oQUBYxput93qFNg=s640-c-fcrop64=1,38000000c7ffffff-nd-v1

:twohearts:
Always liked Binoche - great actress. Another one I like very much is Lily Collins. :cool: